• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

info: italian birder in scotland (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I'm an Italian birder going to Scotland for a scientific congress the first week of May. As I have 3-4 free days, I would like to use them to look for some Scottish specials. I know it is very difficult to see all them in a few days, but I hope you can help me to plan the best itinerary. Due to the limited time, I think to visit only eastern Scotland (I think Edinburgh and Cairngorm area), withouth going to northern/western Scotland.
The birds I'm most interested in are:

Slavonian grebe: this seems easy at Loch Ruthven

Capercaillie: it seems Loch Garten organized watch is the best choice. Is booking necessary?

Black grouse: no idea... is there any "black grouse-watch", as in Loch Garten for Capercaillie? or a well-known lek site where birds can be watched without disturbance?

Ptarmigan: on Cairn Gorm top it seems not very reliable... moreover, I've not well understood how far one can move from the top station... other places that do not require hours of walking?

Red grouse: it seems relatively easy, but there are particularly good places?

Dotterel & snow bunting: like the ptarmigan

Roseate tern: this would probably be the most wanted... but are they arrived on the beginning of May and are there reliable sites in Scotland?

Scottish and Parrot crossbills: it seems they can be everywhere and almost impossible to tell... where can I find their different calls?

Pink-footed goose, scoup, scoters: still there on May?

Violet sandpiper

Grasshopper Warbler

Seabird colony: I'd like to visit a good site for seabirds... I was thinking about Bass Rock... Farne islands are maybe too far... any other suggestion

Finally, the congress will be near Aberfoyle (Loch Ard)... anything interesting there?

I know it is a very long list, so I will appreciate even partial answers.
Thank you in advance
Francesco Vita

Isle of May for your seabird colony: http://www.isleofmayferry.com/sailing-info.asp -there is a tab for the sailing times. There are usually also a few lingering Purple Sandpipers on the island until at least the 3rd week in May (and a long-staying 2nd CY Iceland Gull at Anstruther harbour where you get the ferryboat). Further west along the Fife coast Leven ->Ruddon's point is the best bet for Scoter with Common, a few Velvet & even possibly a Drake Surf still around in May.

There are still quite a few Pink-feet around at Loch Leven & some should hang around at least till the first week in May.

For Ptarmigan, Dotterel, Snow Bunting & (if you are very lucky) Purple Sandpiper you will need to hike up Cairngorm from the ski-centre (there is no access to the hilltops from the funicular railway) -it will take about 2-3 hours.

Roseate Tern -a few pairs nest most years on the inner Forth (near the Forth bridges) but are not accessible & are not easy to see until the chicks have fledged.

Black & Red Grouse should be quite easy in Glen Quaich north of Crieff.

Grasshopper Warblers are commonest in the lowlands -try the south end of Loch Lomond NP (near Aberfoyle).

Last edited:
The woodland along Loch Lomond to the west of Aberfoyle is excellent for Wood Warbler, Common Redstart, Tree Pipit & Pied Flycatcher.

I have seen Black-throated Divers on Loch Ard but they are only occasional -otherwise breeding Goosander & hunting Ospreys are worth looking out for.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Another good thing to do would be to take a look at some of the Visit reports from Forum members.
Here is one by Ian {Husband} this is from 3 years ago but it gives you locations and what to expect.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=58912&highlight=aviemore

Here are a list of others
http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=7002586
As you can see the first ones on the list have been done in the last month or so, so worth checking them out.

One place we will be checking out this year for the first time is
http://www.wdcs.org/connect/wildlife_centre/story_details.php?select=63
Hopefully come across a Dolphin or two, but to see Birds and other wildlife.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to Steve and "Marmot" for their fast reply. For Steve: can you provide some other datails about Glen Quaich, it's a site I never heard about on internet. For "Marmot", the second link doesn't work, it seems.
Any other answer is welcome, of course!
Finally, an advice: do you think a scope is essential to watch most of the typicla birds? I'm not sure my luggage respects the strict Ryanair weight limits :-(

Francesco

A possible site for Ptarmigan and Dotterel is the Cairnwell, south of Braemar. There's a reasonable amount of info on BF about this site, which might not involve too much walking.

You could potentially still get some seaduck in early May. If you're around Edinburgh, the best place to look would be Musselburgh, where I suspect Common and Velvet Scoter and maybe Long-tailed Duck could be found. Kinneil near Grangemouth might be a good place to try for Scaup. Some Pink-footed Geese should still be around. Aberlady Bay in Lothian might be a likely spot.

I think that if you don't bring a scope with you then there will sometimes be occasions when you wish you had it with you.

Hi Francesco,
If you are desperate to see Roseate tern then you will have to travel to the Farnes -howevere I suspect that they will be difficult in early May as it's a little early for the birds to have settled. Perhaps someone from Northern England can advise you on this.

Glen Quaich is in Central Perthshire west of Perth. From Aberfoyle head for Stirling then head north on the A9 Stirling-Perth road past Dunblane -look for a left turn-off (about 10km past Dunblane??) signposted for Crieff > take this road > drive on through Braco & continue on to Crieff. Drive through Crieff towards Perth & about 1-1.5km after leaving Crieff you come to a small village with a left-turn signed for Dunkeld (or possibly Aberfeldy or Sma' Glen) > take this road & drive on for c15 mins at which point you reach a small junction -ignore the turn-off & drive on to the Sma' Glen. The Sma' Glen is a narrow steep-sided valley -picturesque but with few birds > at the end of the glen the road turns sharply across a bridge then climbs .... along this section until the village of Amulree is potentially good for Black Grouse -it is especially worthwhile checking the area to the right of the road -particularly the sections enclosed by high deer fences as the regenerating vegetation is good for feeding Black Grouse & hunting Short-eared Owl.
As you reach the village of Amulree there is a left-hand turn -take this, it is a single track road with passing places & a sign warns that the road is not cleared of snow in winter -this is Glen Quaich. Follow this road through the glen passing heather moor, a large loch & farmland. At the bottom of the glen the road climbs sharply (2 small but bad hairpin bends) onto higher heather moorland -good for Red Grouse. This road eventually brings you down to the shore of Loch Tay.
Hope all goes well -if you need any further info let me know.
Best wishes,
Steve

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me. I really enjoyed my short holiday in Scotland and saw most of the birds in my wishlist. My compliments to RSPB for how they protect birds and promote birdwatching at one time.
Francesco Vita

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back