• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF 600mm f/4 DO BR lens (1 Viewer)

LOL ! Some doubt :) ....... no doubt! |:p|

Chosun :gh:

P.S. That price you quoted may be for the new hand holdable DO 1200 f5.6 version! ;)

There might have been a zero too much...:t:
Anyway, just extrapolating price (by focal length) from the current 400/4 DO ($7.5k) brings you to $11k. With additional weight savings, I would not even be surprised if initial price would hit the $15k mark for a 600/4 @ 2-2.5kg.

There might have been a zero too much...:t:
Anyway, just extrapolating price (by focal length) from the current 400/4 DO ($7.5k) brings you to $11k. With additional weight savings, I would not even be surprised if initial price would hit the $15k mark for a 600/4 @ 2-2.5kg.
Haha :). You would think with less weight and therfore less material cost the price would be less, but you can pretty much guarantee that won't happen. It's a bit like paying more for a stripped out Porsche clubsport. :eek!:

I think Canon would (rightly) like the big (refractive) whites to be viewed as their flagship lenses. The DO's though would have to be priced highly enough not to cannibalize sales.

This patent looks interesting because it is so long - I wonder if it is designed specifically for the 'R' mount, or whether Canon has just decided that this is a better way to go? :cat:

[EDIT]
Honestly, there has been more patents for this lens than you can poke a stick at ! It started out very short with lots of front elements, some using the BLUE SPECTRUM REFRACTIVE OPTICS design to eliminate CA. Now it seems to be a much longer physical length design (around about the same as the ~ refractive 600/f4 IS III), and it seems the heavily populated objective group has been replaced by a solitary aspherical element (perhaps made out of fluorite or synthetic equivalent). The DO element seems to be ensconced much further back in the lens (which should be good for controlling the glare/flare), and I am unable to translate what has become of the BR design elements, whether there are any in there, or where they are?

Still, this latest design patent looks to be about a foot and a half long, and even with rearward weight bias and sub 2.7kg weight (I am wondering how they are going to get much below that with what is essentially very similar to the 3.06kg 600/f4 IS III). I am counting 18 elements in 9 groups for the DO vs 17 elements in 13 groups for the III. It looks to be the same length with a built in spacer for the Mirrorless 'R' mount at the end.

I am then left wondering how hand holdable and pointable this thing is really going to be. Support braced by the elbow jammed into the chest would be much easier with a length of ~350mm or less ........ :cat:

Maybe Vespo's initial suggestion that this is the next generation (IV) big 600 f4 designed natively for Mirrorless that will combine refractive and diffractive optics way down the track is correct ?? Just seems odd to me that if you are going to take ~25mm out of the system by eliminating the mirrorbox that you wouldn't purposely clean sheet design a more compact lens, rather than just bodgie an existing lens body by extending it and making it unnecessarily long hence heavy :h?:

Q? Is there anyone here actually using the new 600 f4L IS III who can comment on how it handles and points ??????

Maybe there is still hope for a DSLR mount compact lightweight 600 f4 DO towards the end of the year after all ........ ?

Last edited:
Selling a used Canon EF 500mm f/4 LS 11 usm $4500. Email [email protected]

Exciting news! :D
Canon has shown a prototype 600mm f/4 Diffractive Optics lens at an Expo ~ 3 months ago .....

Confirmed details are as rare as rocking horse p**p, but by piecing together a few reports it seems that weight is around the 2.5kg mark, physical length less than 400mm, and has all the usual focus limiting ranges, and stability modes. Price will be $$$$?

I've always been fascinated by the DO series lenses compactness and more than handy weight savings. I think the new killer Nikon D500 and the big 'N' recently sending it's conventional 600mm f/4 to 1-800 Jenny is still going to sway me to stay in camp 'N' though .... especially since the Canon 7D MkII doesn't have an all important extra in-camera 1.3x crop factor .... had that been the case, this new 600 DO may just have persuaded me to jump ship over to camp 'C'

provided the IQ holds up - especially with a TC attached :brains:

A few lynx :cat:
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-600mm-f4-do-br-at-canon-expo/
http://www.canonrumors.com/more-images-of-the-canon-ef-600mm-f4-do-br-lens/
http://www.popphoto.com/canon-is-working-on-600mm-do-br-telephoto-lens-with-its-latest-optical-tech

Please contact me if interested. Thanks.

...... Maybe there is still hope for a DSLR mount compact lightweight 600 f4 DO towards the end of the year after all ........ ?

Well ..... then again ..... maybe not ...... :-C

The way official messaging, direction, and rumours are going, I'm losing hope of an EF mount 600 f4 DO ever being born ....... DOA :gn:

This rumour suggests no new EF lenses in 2019 https://www.canonrumors.com/whats-next-for-the-canon-eos-r-system-and-the-rest-of-the-lineup/
"EF Lenses
Canon has said that no new EF lenses are coming in 2019, beyond that? Your guess is as good as ours."

Upon reflecting on this, I'm starting to wonder whether this is it, and we'll never see any significant new DSLR mount lenses from now on ...... from any company ......

Even if Canon do somehow miraculously manage to make a 7DIII it looks like the new 600 f4L ISIII is going to be as light an outfit as it gets.

Some are even sick of waiting for the mythical 7DIII to appear, and as Kevin Conville said on that thread "It involves jumping ship to Nikon" :eek!:

I'm still hoping for an F mount 600 f5.6 PF from Nikon (as are many others), but it seems for birders wanting a lightish (<3.3kg) high performance rig this year, that the Nikon D500+500/f5.6 PF might be as good as it gets (unless a competitive 7DIII lands and you can handle the 3kg of the new Canon 600 f4L ISIII, or someone utters - dare I say it? - Fujifilm ?). The other viable lens options (3rd party 150-600 superzooms, or the Niki 200-500) lose a little in AF speed and ultimate IQ.

It seems that with high resolution (50MP+) Mirrorless bodies on the horizon from both Canon and Nikon (and you would also have to expect a Sony a7r4 response) , that the Canon 600 f4 DO will in fact debut as a Mirrorless R mount - although when is anybody's guess ! (2020+ ....? ) :cat:

The only consolation to this I suppose is that at least it will be razor sharp after having to be purposely designed for the next generation high resolution bodies :t:

Last edited:
Yet more Patents .....

It seems that Canon is more in the business of churning out patents than any more actual physical DO lenses for use ...... :-C

This shotgun approach seems to include every conceivable variation of lens design and length configuration. Surely there must be one that offers optimal compactness married with excellent rearward balance /handling, sharpness /resolution, and glare performance, and maximal lightness.

This 600 f4 DO patent has the physical size at a mama bear-like 394mm 'overall length'.
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...fractive-optics-super-telephoto-lenses.36771/

Hurry up Goldilocks already !!! :cat:

More Diffractive Optics Patent development work continues behind the scenes ....

A new improved diffraction grating
https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-diffractive-optical-element-37

Still no word on a finalised physical DO 600mm f4 product though, nor what mount it will debut in, or even when ...... :cat:

Lol - I was quite excited when the release of this lens seemed imminent (I was much younger then), now that level of excitement seems to be reserved for a hazelnut ice cream, sitting out in the sun, and a good lie down ! :eat: o:)

Canon series III lightweight refractive supertelephoto development

While waiting on the next (IV series or Ist Gen R mount) generation of supertelephotos (which is where we are now most likely to see any Diffractive Optics lenses in the optical train), here is some fascinating information on Canon's development of the lightweight III series. In going from series I to series III the actual weight of the glass components has been more than halved ! :D
I can't wait to see how much lower they can bring the weight down to by including Diffractive Optics lenses. :cat:
https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/sin...big-white-lenses-as-told-by-canons-developers
https://d25tv1xepz39hi.cloudfront.n...f2.8L_IS_III_USM_&_EF600mm_f4L_IS_III_USM.pdf

Last edited:
Canon to cease development of new EF mount lenses .... !?!

It appears that a European Marketing Manager has let it slip that Canon will cease developing new EF mount lenses unless the market demands it. https://m.dpreview.com/news/1040131...rf-not-ef-lenses-unless-the-market-demands-it

Well listen up Canon and listen goooood ..... !

I want, nay - I Demand ! an ultralightweight EF 600mm ISIV L f/4 DO BR lens !!!!!

I'm talking less than 2.5kg, and sharp enough to resolve the next Gen of 150MP+ high resolution sensors ...... :cat:

Last edited:
I can't see the EF mount disappearing for at least 4yrs(lifespan of 1DX111)
It's not that the EF mount will disappear - I think they will still be making new 'units' 5~10 years from now ..... it's just that development of 'new EF designs' will take a backseat pretty much forever.

I'd like to see them do this 600 f4 DO in EF mount as that would give me the most options ......
Anything from a Canon 7D MkIII whenever Canon extracts the digit,
Or adapted to Canon R, Sony FE, and now even Nikon Z bodies with full functionality :t:

Hands-on with new Canon RF 100-500mm, 600mm and 800mm telephoto lenses

Jeez, 'expect slower aperture' was right !

These new 'supertelephotos' from Canon are more consumer orientated rather than the 'big white' we are waiting on.
Try f11 ! and fixed at that.
The lenses are also collapsible for storage.

RF 600 f11 IS STM - 200mm long retracted/270mm extended, 930grams, 4.5m close focus.
RF 800 f11 IS STM - 282mm long retracted/352mm extended, 1260grams, 6m close focus.

Interesting that Canon have said in the press release that "Diffractive Optics technology helps to reduce the necessary number of lenses and greatly diminish the cost of the lenses". It seems like a great way to go for lighter, more affordable supertelephotos. I think we could be fairly confident that we will one day see a 600 f4 DO ....... but when !

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/334...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Last edited:
Prices are very good: 700 $ For that 600mm and 900 for the 800mm. Ofcourse you need good light but I feel tempted if the stabilizer works ok.

The light gathering is comparable to m43 so should be highly useable as a more compact setup - liking the look of that 100-500 too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back