• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eos 90D. (1 Viewer)

The progress in cameras is now dictated by the sensor and the processor, with the stabilization, weatherproofing and the software also factors.
The other factors seem to be just givens, cameras have to be pretty good to be salable, so there is a minimum threshold.
I don't think that this new reality conforms easily to the earlier Canon or Nikon product ranking schemes, so changes should be expected.

Rumor has it, there will not be a 7D Mark III. So I ended up buying a 90D and it is more than sufficient in my opinion. I chose it over the 7D Mark II. Cost was not a factor.

I sold my 7D2 - I wasn't too impressed with the IQ from the sensor. Testing my 7D2 vs my 5D4 with the same lens, I found that I was getting better IQ with the 5D4 and an equivalent cropped shot. I think this is due to the greater pixel count on the 5D4.

I am interested to try a 90D - with its higher pixel count (cf. the 7D2) I am thinking I might see some advantage over the 5D4 - more pixels per duck!

I sold my 7D2 - I wasn't too impressed with the IQ from the sensor. Testing my 7D2 vs my 5D4 with the same lens, I found that I was getting better IQ with the 5D4 and an equivalent cropped shot. I think this is due to the greater pixel count on the 5D4.

I am interested to try a 90D - with its higher pixel count (cf. the 7D2) I am thinking I might see some advantage over the 5D4 - more pixels per duck!

I believe the 90D only has an advantage over the 5D4 when it comes to birding, nature, and possibly fine detail work. More smaller pixels has many disadvantages also as you know.

I believe the 90D only has an advantage over the 5D4 when it comes to birding, nature, and possibly fine detail work.

Which is why I would definitely keep my 5D4 for general use and just use a 90D for birds/wildlife, where the extra pixels per duck gives an advantage.

Of course a 7D3 will probably be even better than a 90D for birds, but sounds like there may never be a 7D3. ......and if one does eventually materialise, I can always sell the 90D......;)

I bought a 90D in October and deeply regret.
Apart from the fact that the CR3 RAW files are not compatible with Photoshop
(unless it's changed recently and passed me by) , I can't get a decent shot out of it.
Probably me, I suppose , but i certainly won't be recommending it to anyone myself.

(unless it's changed recently and passed me by) , I can't get a decent shot out of it.
Probably me, I suppose , but i certainly won't be recommending it to anyone myself.

Why not just keep the 7D Mark II....after all, what will really change if they make a III and is it worth the $ for a new camera? ...Heck, I still use my Mark I !

I did consider buying one but decided the AF would not have been good enough for my needs.
I would be most surprised if its not capable of a decent shot!
Even the Canon averse DP Review stated that it had very good image quality.
Stay safe.
Mike.

I did consider buying one but decided the AF would not have been good enough for my needs.
I would be most surprised if its not capable of a decent shot!
Even the Canon averse DP Review stated that it had very good image quality.
Stay safe.
Mike.
The Dynamic Range plots show up better than quite a bit of other Canon fare (especially considering the pixel density).

Perhaps it is that high pixel density which is showing up anything less than the very best lenses (L glass).

Such resolution needs not only great matching glass, but appropriate stable shot capture, and careful processing.

I've seen some mushy stuff around on the net, but some really nice detailed stuff too - so it is definitely capable.

I ruled it out for similar reasons - AF and tracking. I don't know where my desired upgrade is going to come from now, given the state of the Industry and the World going forward .......

Chosun :gh:

Yes indeed Chosun.

It needs more consideration and technique than lesser packed sensors but it's capable of high quality output.

Stay safe.
Mike.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back