• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Natterjack nr Holham? (1 Viewer)

Andrew03

Hi Folks,
Hoping to spend a few days at Wells on Sea next week, any hints/tips on when/where to see natterjacks?

Many thanks
Andrew

We saw one at the far west end of Holkham Pines (where the dunes start) a couple of years ago, but no idea if they're regularly seen there.

Neil, John, many thanks for the tips, i'll try to have a look. Inags - thanks also for the advice, i've checked the Natural England factsheet about natterjacks for clarification,

Cheers
Andrew

I seem to remember it is illegal to photograph them.

unless this is a specific rule for Holme, the law states prohibits "... intentional disturbance whilst occupying a 'place used for shelter or protection'..."

therefore if you happen to find one on the dunes you should be able to photograph it.

unless this is a specific rule for Holme, the law states prohibits "... intentional disturbance whilst occupying a 'place used for shelter or protection'..."

therefore if you happen to find one on the dunes you should be able to photograph it.

A few years ago, I came across a pond on another beach with a large number of mating Natterjacks. I took quite a few photo's. Somewhere, I saw something saying this was forbidden (can't remember where). Maybe it was a local bye-law.

i suppose disturbance of breeding sites would also fall into this category, although unless you were getting into the pond with them, i imagine any disturbance would be negligable...

Natterjack are mostly nocturnal; you'd be lucky to see them during the day without breaking the law about 'intentionally disturbing them'. Mind you searching with a torch could well be counted as intentional disturbance.

This gives quite a good summary:
http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/education/natterjacktoad.pdf

Glad to hear I'm not the only one dreaming of spring already.

Cheers

Last edited:
In 1979 a Natterjack crawled out of my friend's caravan awning when he arrived home. Can I keep this on my life list and Gateshead list? The caravan and toad arrived in a storm with strong westerlies from the Natterjack stronghold in the western Lakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back