• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Herps 2015 (1 Viewer)

Managed to finally connect with my 5th UK reptile sp...and one of the easiest. Slow Worm in dunes in Cumbria. Also heard Natterjacks calling on the Ravenglass estuary yesterday. I suppose it's a visit down south for the rare and feral herps now. I have a top secret pond to visit for Natterjacks later in the month. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 43
Managed to finally connect with my 5th UK reptile sp...and one of the easiest. Slow Worm in dunes in Cumbria. Also heard Natterjacks calling on the Ravenglass estuary yesterday. I suppose it's a visit down south for the rare and feral herps now. I have a top secret pond to visit for Natterjacks later in the month. Fingers crossed!

:eek!:

Took a slow worm in to school when I was in the infants to show the rest of the class. Teacher sent me off to a classroom of older children to show them too, me being a tad shy dropped the plastic fish tank it was in, slow worm and all, but no harm done in the end (hopes).

Mind you, never seen Natterjack.

Could someone please give me some tips as to field techniques for finding Adders such as micro-habitat, time of day, time of year, weather conditions, how to sneak up on them, etc. I know where to look for them but have never had any luck spotting one. Any tips gratefully received!
Thanks,
Roger

Look for thick scrub on dry, undisturbed ground. South facing slopes are good bets but consider whether there is sufficient habitat to support a population.

Early morning is good - look for spots that are catching the first of the sun. Adders will almost always stay within half a body length of cover, for a swift getaway. But always check where your feet are falling especially in the early morning when they might be on the move.

Approach slowly and keep calm. They seem to 'taste' adrenalin and will be off quickly if you're giving off a chemical release. If you are quiet and careful you can get pretty close, and if they start to move just slowly back away.

Ideally, any you find will stay exactly where they lay.

Good luck!

Should have mentioned time of year - late winter/early spring is best, when they are just emerging and are feeling cold. They are also most vulnerable then so tread carefully and try not to spook them.

Look for thick scrub on dry, undisturbed ground. South facing slopes are good bets but consider whether there is sufficient habitat to support a population.

Early morning is good - look for spots that are catching the first of the sun. Adders will almost always stay within half a body length of cover, for a swift getaway. But always check where your feet are falling especially in the early morning when they might be on the move.

Approach slowly and keep calm. They seem to 'taste' adrenalin and will be off quickly if you're giving off a chemical release. If you are quiet and careful you can get pretty close, and if they start to move just slowly back away.

Ideally, any you find will stay exactly where they lay.

Good luck!

Thank you Kevin - this is just the sort of thing I need to know but it looks like I may have to be patient and wait until next spring to have a good chance of seeing one.

Roger

No problem Roger. It is worth sussing out potential spots through the rest of spring and summer though.

I did that when I first moved to west Dorset, and finding an adder coiled up in mid-February in a place I had found the previous August made it all the more satisfying.

Finally.....

Had a day out in London with Maz today and found myself an Aesculapian Snake Woo Hoo!!!!!

Tickety tick tick tick!

Sorry. Fourth visit over at least five years. Pretty chuffed!

John

Attachments

• 20150607_Aesculapian_Snake (1) (800x533).jpg
    20150607_Aesculapian_Snake (1) (800x533).jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20150607_Aesculapian_Snake (2) (800x533).jpg
    20150607_Aesculapian_Snake (2) (800x533).jpg
    196 KB · Views: 76
Finally.....

Had a day out in London with Maz today and found myself an Aesculapian Snake Woo Hoo!!!!!

Tickety tick tick tick!

Sorry. Fourth visit over at least five years. Pretty chuffed!

John

Excellent! Just out of interest what time of day was it and can you briefly describe the weather conditions?

Same questions from me John.

Back to walking up and down that city centre canal, dodging the high speed cyclists.

One day......Phil

I saw one basking in the morning (c11.00 a.m. if I remember correctly). You need a warm sunny day. I believe (I could be wrong) that the temperature must be over 19 degrees C from them to appear.

Cheers, Simon

It was not far short of 1100 hrs and the weather was mostly sunny with just the odd fleck of cloud interrupting what was shaping up to be the best day of the summer so far.

The snake was coiled into a tight ball (apart from its head which was off to one side) - as an Adder would coil on an October day with sun but a chilly wind and frequent cloud. It seems they really do struggle with our climate.

Happy to give reasonably precise directions by PM to familiar BFers.

Cheers

John

Thanks for the help and extra information guys. Unusually little project trying to see these, but interesting in its own way.

Phil

Folks, was there any progress with the midwife toad trip? Probably missed them again for another year... Thanks for the tip off over the Ham wall frogs. Assume they are common enough on site?

Cheers

Paul

Folks, was there any progress with the midwife toad trip? Probably missed them again for another year... Thanks for the tip off over the Ham wall frogs. Assume they are common enough on site?

Cheers

Paul

I saw a dozen in the car park pools with practically no effort, so its a yes from me.... ;)

John

All,

As per the info above, we visited Ham Wall yesterday and saw 10+ frogs in the new ponds at the end of the car park. Very easy and vocal. Thanks for the tip off!

A few shots attached.

Paul

Attachments

• IWF2 (Small).jpg
    IWF2 (Small).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IWF1 (Small).jpg
    IWF1 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1021 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1021 (Small).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1013 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1013 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 37
I hope someone PMs you with a solution. That's not a hijack: the whole idea of the thread is to publicise the progress of the season and facilitate people seeing British herps.

John

I've never seen a slowworm. How might I go about seeing one (without excessively bothering said slowworm or causing ecological harm)? I live in Leicester, if that's relevant.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back