• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica Snake for ID, please (1 Viewer)

madamcoolpix

a.k.a. Madam Butterfly
Here I am again with another reptile to identify from Costa Rica, this time a beautiful Snake. It was the longest one I've seen in my life (but I must admit I've not seen many ;) !), it was longer than wide was this dirty road it was crossing. The picture was taken in Rancho Naturalista, middle elevation in the Caribbean slope. I'm showing a general view to see the size and the general looking, and two close-ups. I hope this helps to know what it is.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

Marian

Attachments

• N1346 unknown snake 01.jpg
    N1346 unknown snake 01.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 194
  • N1347 unknown Snake 2.JPG
    N1347 unknown Snake 2.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 8381 unknown Snake 3.JPG
    8381 unknown Snake 3.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 186
Hm. This is a challenge!
Well, based on your pictures, it's a long, slender (maybe a bit too thin?) snake with keeled belly scales (suggests that it's at least a good climber, if not a great one). The 2 bulges behind the head might be venom glands, but I'm not sure. They could just be large muscles...
I managed to rule out all the snakes on this page: http://critterimages.com/SLIDESHOWS/Snakeshow/index.htm
I'll keep looking...

A very nice snake, though! Just one question: how long do you estimate it was or could you give me an estimate on the road width?

I'll let you know if I find something new...

Here's a picture of a Cribo: http://critterimages.com/Snake Cube/2.html
I think that we can safely rule out that species, because the head looks different...

I did a little more research, here's what I found:
(http://www.1-costaricalink.com/cost.../snakes_serpentarium_costa_rica_picture_2.htm)
on this page, I would like that the whole head is visible and that the pic is clearer, but it's the most likely candidate... too bad they don't list the names...

Here are two others that have a similar head, but the body color varies:
http://www.1-costaricalink.com/cost.../snakes_serpentarium_costa_rica_picture_9.htm
http://www.1-costaricalink.com/cost...snakes_serpentarium_costa_rica_picture_36.htm

Anyway, I think I can't find anything new... maybe someone can point me in the right direction, maybe I'd be able to id-it then, but for now, this is where I have to stop, because I can't find a page that lists all 128 species with pictures from all of them...

Hope I managed to help.

I've just seen your suggestions, mattie and MlZad, thanks a lot for looking and giving your opinion. I have almost no idea of Snakes and I didn't know where to start.

MlZad, I would say it was longer than 1,5 m and probably near 2 m. It was very calm and let us approach a lot. The pics should have been sharper but I'm not as brave as you (I've followed your pictures at the Forum gallery all these months ;) ) and got a bit nervous. Even if it didn't look like a venomous one, as I don't know American Snakes I didn't want to risk getting too close...

Now it is late for me, so I will have a look to your links tomorrow again with more time and I will comment you my opinion. So I hope I will help you to help me... ;) Please keep an eye on here, as I would like to ask you a few questions on your remarks.

Thanks again to both of you

Marian

Last edited:
The pics should have been sharper
Your pics are great and show everything needed to id a snake. I meant the pic on the 1st link.
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking big. I would dare say that it was around 180-230 cm (+/-20 cm), but definitely longer than 150 cm if we take into account that there is a part of the tail missing from the photo (2-3 cm) and that the snake wasn't stretched out (which would give it (rough estimate) another 20-30 cm)... I hesitated to write this, because It's been a while (meaning: winter and all the Vugrovec snakes were sleeping) since I estimated a snake's length, so I'm a little rusty in that department... he he.

Glad you like the pics. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not an expert, but if don't know the answer, I probably know someone who does...

Don't worry, if I have something more to say about this snake's id, I'll write a.s.a.p.

Again, a very beautiful snake! Wish I was there!

Your snake is a Bird-eating Snake, Pseustes poecilonotus
Looking at the picture you supplied, I must agree.
It's the Neotropical Bird Snake (Pseustes poecilonotus), it grows to about 200 cm, but can be longer, feeds on frogs, lizards, birds and small mammals.
Puts on a very interesting display when threatened, although not the only snake to do so...(http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/jd/jdweb/Herps/species/Forsnake/Psepoi.htm)

Other links:
http://www.answers.com/topic/pseustes-poecilonotus
http://www.cisneros-heredia.org/pdfs/2005_Pseustes2.pdf
http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/wcs/030730.HTM

Glad this one's finally identified!

Thanks a lot, Cole, that it is! Your link shows a Snake looking exactly like mine. And as you say the head pattern is distinctive, I'm sure there is no possible doubt.

MlZad, I think your first "unidentified link" is this Bird-eating Snake, the quality is poor and doesn't show very well the head, but looks quite like mine. As for its length, I would say you are right and it was closer to 2 m than to 1,5 m. The other links show Snakes looking much "daintier" than mine; this was slim but had a "robust" head, specially seen from above. I'm attaching a view, slightly out of focus but it can confirm what I say.

I have the idea European Snakes are easier to ID, I think, as we don't have many and can be easily classified in "rounded headed" (non-venomous) and pointed headed (venomous, adders and similar). Am I right? If I am right, are those features found in tropical Snakes too? When I saw this I thought it should be harmless because of the head shape... but I didn't want to be too bold just in case...

Thanks again to you both, I'll be back later

Marian

Attachments

• IMG_8383 head.jpg
    IMG_8383 head.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
classified in "rounded headed" (non-venomous) and pointed headed (venomous, adders and similar).

This is usually recommended as a good id point, BUT it is NOT. A lot of snakes can spread the back of their heads in a defence posture, so the head looks triangular in shape. That is a feature that is present on every continent.
Also, in Europe there are 3 snakes that are venomous, but not vipers, they are back-fanged (all are harmless to humans, the worst thing their venom does is cause swelling and nausea that passes in a couple of hours, no medical treatment needed) and (I know of 1 european) species that doesn't have fangs, but has saliva that is toxic to its usual prey (again, that snake is harmless to people)

European snakes are easier to ID (to me, at least) because I have the book (Reptiles & Amphibians of Britain & Europe)- the book has a key for ID-ing european snakes and the web page Amphibians & Reptiles of Europe (http://www.herp.it/) with a lot of pictures. Also, there are only 34 species (compared with 128 Costa Rican), but there are also several subspecies' in Europe (i.e. the Grass Snake has 12, the Nose-horned Viper has 6).

Now knowing what this snake is, I'd say that the bulges behind the head are just muscles, more prominent that usual because the snake probably is a little thin (meaning it could use a nice meal).

Glad we could help!

Like MIZad said, the head shape is not always reliable. Usually you can tell a viper by its head shape, but there are many very venomous snakes that do not have pointed heads. These include elapids (cobras, mamba, coral snakes) and the boomslang, which is in the same family as the Bird-eating Snake.

-Cole

Thanks both again for the information, much appreciated!!!

At least I know a bit more about Snakes... but I think birds are easier to identify than reptiles ;)

I've ID by myself a few more reptiles from Costa Rica, but perhaps I will post them to confirm, I don't relay on me very much in this field...

Cheers!

I've ID by myself a few more reptiles from Costa Rica, but perhaps I will post them to confirm, I don't relay on me very much in this field...

Please post them (especially if they're snakes!)? I'd love to see the pictures!
Maybe you can make a quiz out of them (give us a few pics, say where they were found and you then let us do all the work and you give us the results in, i.e. 3 days?)? I know I'd love that. It's the best way to practice the snake id process.

MlZad, you've surprised me! Would you like a Quiz on reptiles??? I have only a few pictures of snakes, some more of other reptiles, taken in Spain, USA and Costa Rica. And I would love to share them making a Quiz. In fact, I am about to do exactly that with my Hummingbird pics.

It will take me some time to prepare the material but I will follow your suggestion, it will be great fun! Give me about 2 weeks (I have many duties!) to get things ready.

Cheers!

I could easily post a few snake pictures from the US and a few from Mexico for you try and ID if you'd be interested MIZad.

I have only a few pictures of snakes, some more of other reptiles, taken in Spain, USA and Costa Rica

Only snakes for now, I'm not that skilled in ID-ing lizards... yet.
Thanks! I can wait.

I could easily post a few snake pictures from the US and a few from Mexico for you try and ID if you'd be interested MlZad.
Oh, I'm interested, alright! Please do that, if it won't be too much of a trouble for you... Don't worry, I can wait...

I was thinking about doing a snake quiz myself, but since I've got only 4 species photographed, it would be a little too easy...

If anyone else has material to contribute to the quiz, please do so when you have the time! I'd love to hone my skills in ID-ing and also that motivates me to learn more about the species I'm trying to ID (and I memorize that info a lot better that way...).

MlZad, you've surprised me!
Hm, I guess I do have a lot of "unusual" (read: crazy) ideas going through my mind... ;)

Hm, I guess I do have a lot of "unusual" (read: crazy) ideas going through my mind... ;)

Not at all!!! I was surprised because I didn't expect you thinking exactly the same way than me about making a quiz; as I've already said, I am going to do it with my Hummingbird pics.

If you have "crazy ideas" so have I!!! ;)

I've seen Cole has already posted his Quiz. I will look for my "old" pics of Snakes for you. Enjoy yourself!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back