• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Airline travel with a Scope/tripod ? (1 Viewer)

cymruboy

I am about to take a trip to Arizona and wanted to take my tripod and Leica Televid. Has anyone traveled in the US with a scope/tripod since the latest security measures and has advice on how to do this. I don't want to check the equipment as it could get damaged or stolen ? Dan

Thank you so much. That's what I had a feeling would be best. Just as long as they don't bend the tripod by throwing it . Maybe I'll pack it inside a hard suitcase. Dan

YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS .MY NIKON ED, BINOCS & TRIPOD +CAMERA ARE CARRIED ON THE PLANE BY ME IN A BAG ABOUT 20 INCHES LONG .
THIS YEAR I FLEW TO THE UK ,IRELAND , SPAIN & IN THE USA TO LOS VEGAS AMONG OTHER PLACES. OF COURSE THE BAG WILL BE PUT THRU THE X RAY & MAY BE OPENED AS YOU ENTER THE DEPARTURE AREA BUT NO OTHER PROBLEMS.
brian.

medinabrit said:
YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS .MY NIKON ED, BINOCS & TRIPOD +CAMERA ARE CARRIED ON THE PLANE BY ME IN A BAG ABOUT 20 INCHES LONG .
THIS YEAR I FLEW TO THE UK ,IRELAND , SPAIN & IN THE USA TO LOS VEGAS AMONG OTHER PLACES. OF COURSE THE BAG WILL BE PUT THRU THE X RAY & MAY BE OPENED AS YOU ENTER THE DEPARTURE AREA BUT NO OTHER PROBLEMS.
brian.
that's interesting. I've had no problems taking bins and scopes in the cabin, but since 9/11 I've been a bit concerned that someone might deem a tripod to be a potential weapon, so have always checked it in.

Sean

Thanks Sean

dogfish said:
that's interesting. I've had no problems taking bins and scopes in the cabin, but since 9/11 I've been a bit concerned that someone might deem a tripod to be a potential weapon, so have always checked it in.

Sean

Well, I do sometimes manage to take the tripod as hand luggage, but more often than not I need to check it. Always causes me a lot of anxiety, as it is a carbon tripod, and I have had a tripod broken by handling staff before.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back