• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very late emergence or a second brood? and a rare species record. (1 Viewer)

harry eales

Ancient Entomologist
I ran my moth trap last night for the first time in 10 days, having taken it it early (10.0pm) I gave it no more than a cursory glance, and as far I could see there were no moths in it. Tonight I checked the trap again before putting it out and to my very great surprise I found a live female Ghost Swift moth. It's a very late date for this species, a second brood perhaps or a rather late emergence. I suspect the latter.

A 'Heads up' for those of you living on the East Coast, one of our BF members (Tom Tams) took a Paignton Snout last night in Whitley Bay Northumberland, there is absolutely no doubt about the identity of this species, which is probably only the sixth British record and certainly a first for Northumberland.

Harry

Have had the same dilemma with a few species out at the "wrong time" down here in Devon, the most notable being a fresh Rosy Footman on 5th October.

Kev Rylands said:
Have had the same dilemma with a few species out at the "wrong time" down here in Devon, the most notable being a fresh Rosy Footman on 5th October.

Hi Kev

I had a a nice Rosy Footman on the 6th October. Late!

Pete H

Attachments

• Rosy Footman 4440t.jpg
    Rosy Footman 4440t.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 135
Pete Haynes said:
Hi Kev

I had a a nice Rosy Footman on the 6th October. Late!

Pete H

Hello Pete and Kev,

The progeny of migrants perhaps. A couple of years ago the son of a friend of mine found some larva just along the road from me (Grrrrrr) took them home and bred them out and they too emerged in October.

Harry.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back