• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a Carl Zeiss 8x30 or a new one? (1 Viewer)

Hello, I am new in these blog, I hope you can help me with your opinions. The thing is that I want to buy a new pair o binoculars, and I was today seeing and testing above different stores the new products (Zeiss, Swarosky, Leica with their prices(o)<), and I ended up in a antique shop, and I had the oportunity to see the Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30W. There were really really good, the optics seemed to be new! |:p| Everything clean. The seller told me at the binoculars were almost not used. And the price was 135 Euros.

Here is the question, what is a better choice? Try to spend more in a new ones? My budget it is not so big, and I do not want to buy binoculars more than 200 euros. I am not a professional, I watch birds as a hobby, but I want a good, durable, pair of binoculars.

Would you help me with these decition? Thank you very much.

P.S: Excuse me for my english, I really come from Argentina, but I am in Germany.

I have a couple pair of 8x30 jena porro binoculars.....for the price they are not bad, the single coated ones arent bad, if you can find the later multicoated ones the optics are even a little better.....but remember they are not water proof and being east German made they pumped them out without the quality control of the west German Zeiss factory....so give them a good once over B4 laying you money down....and look 4 a like new one with leather case and straps....

I have a couple pair of 8x30 jena porro binoculars.....for the price they are not bad, the single coated ones arent bad, if you can find the later multicoated ones the optics are even a little better.....but remember they are not water proof and being east German made they pumped them out without the quality control of the west German Zeiss factory....so give them a good once over B4 laying you money down....and look 4 a like new one with leather case and straps....

Thank zou very much, I think they are actually pretty good. They have the leather case and straps. I musst say that these store is only 40 km from Jena!

If you can extend your budget I am going to sell my Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 BGA T*P
In my opinion they one of the very best ever made.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back