• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

experience with stay on case with Swaro ATS 80? (1 Viewer)

safaridreaming

Any has any positive experiences with stay on cases for the Swaro ATS 80?

I'm looking for a padded stay on cover.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Swaro design but open to considering others if they are more practica/functional. I've heard the Swaro cover doesnt allow the scope to be swivels to bring the eyepiece to a lower position....

not sure how accurate this is etc so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Jeelan

I use it -- I find that, compared to the SOC of the STS 65 is not as tight on the scope. I replaced the carry strap with a rifle strap which suits my own use much better. I cannot really say much more that I have it, it works. I looked into other straps because, as I said, I use a rifle sling with it and I was wondering whether there were better options but that does not seem to be the case.

FWIW I do not use the removable front and eyepiece covers (I use the normal cap for the front objective).

Hi Fedster, thanks for the response. I wasn't aware that you can attach a sling to the Swaro SOC.
Where is the attachment points for this?

Also i've read that with the Swaro SOC you cant rotate the scope barrel 90* as the case interfere's with this - is this correct?

thanks again
Jeelan

The SOC has 3 attachment points (two at the front one near the eyepiece) that are already there for the Swaro supplied three point sling. Attaching or not the sling is a personal preference I presume. No personal experience rotating the barrel due to how I I use the scope, but I do agree the SOC would be in the way.

I've got a Swaro STM 80 and use a Nikon ED82 (straight model) stay-on-case. This case is much cheaper than a Swaro case and it fits well. Both the Swaro and the Nikon have a heliacal focusser. The tripod attachment on the Swaro is at the same spot as the Nikon. This also applies for the focusser. The objective of the Nikon is 82 mm compared to 80 mm (Swaro).

You're talking about a Swaro ATS 80. I guess that a Nikon ED82 Angled case can be used for a Swaro ATS.

Allthough the Nikon ED 82 is discontinued I think the Nikon case is still offered on ebay.

You can rotate the body about 10 degrees or so inside the case at which point the tension of the cover kicks in. I use mine on a hide clamp with a 90 degree head adjustment which gets over the problem.

Russ

I have always used stay-on-cases (SOC) and have previously had a Swarovski ATS 80 with Swarovski SOC and a case from a third party (I think from In Focus but can't be sure). Besides the obvious protection advantages (also to the lenses and particularly with rain/spray), I always loop the strap of the SOC around my tripod handle as a 'back-up' in case the Scope comes loose from the tripod.

The Swarovski SOC does indeed prevent the scope from being swivelled to use the eyepiece from the side. Although this would occasionally be useful, I have never found the loss of this functionality as issue as I use a beanbag (or jumper) when in a car. The other SOC I used did allow some swivel as it was made of three parts: one for the eyepiece section, one for the ocular section and a removable cover for the focus wheel section. The padding was thicker than on the Swarovski SOC but it wasn't secure and fitted too loose.

I prefer the Swarovski SOC as the fit is far better and it provides enough protection and functionality (quick and easy covering/access of lenses and secure strap). If using the swivel of the ATS then it is possibly less useful but a 3-way tripod head might offer a solution.

Mark

wow - fitted cases are not very popular here....

cheers
Jeelan

Agreed.... why ruin the looks of this beautiful scope? If raining I just encase with my camera lens plastic bag... about 5$ via B n H and you get to 'show off' your Swarovski and not hide it:)

Case for Swarovski ATM 80

When traveling or in extremely adverse conditions I use a nicely fitted and padded zip-on case from Creedmor Sports that is well worth the price - about $35.

I have a Cabela's stay on case for my STS 80HD. I actually prefer it without the case but if you want a streamlined setup where you think you will put the scope directly (and with care) into a bag or case that won't get jostled and tossed about too much then it is a decent solution. If you usually carry a padded case, then I think the stay on case is a bit redundant.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back