• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this seller legit? (1 Viewer)

If the prices are lower than, say, Eagle Optics, Anacortes or Christopher Ltd., by more than a few dollars, then the merchandise is likely grey-market. Authorized dealers can't go below a certain level without losing their USA franchise, not to mention the margin may become too thin. Some of those New York outfits sell both grey-market and authorized stuff (e.g. B&H), but you have to look at the fine print to determine what you're looking at.

RobConnel said:
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/

Are they a legitimate seller or is their stuff grey market? They have amazing prices on Trinovids and older Zeisses, but also list Bausch & Lomb so maybe they jsut haven't updated their prices in like 5 years.

There's also a few 'dealers' that appear overnight, advertise very low prices, only take payment by bank transfer, and then disappear without shipping goods. I suspect that they are run by mafia type gangs as it takes a fair bit of money and expertise to create a kosher looking site.

Leif

Legit site

RobConnel said:

I too managed to find this site whilst looking at USA online dealers
I actually emailed them twice requesting UK shipping charges and received no reply
Not very promising i would say but perhaps these people are better established in New York
I would be wary unless others can validate this dealer with more favourable feedback

Regards
Rich

For new optics I usually buy only from Eagle Optics, B&H Photo, and Adorama. If you are looking for prices cheaper than these 3 provide you get what you pay for.

The latter 2 are NYC photography stores. If you use any other NYC store
(there might be some exceptions) you might as well strip down bend over and grab your ankles.

Legit?

Rob,
You can 'phone Zeiss USA or Leica to find out if their bona fides are up to date. Should you purchase something, you can 'phone Zeiss or Leica and specify the serial number to see if it is an authorized import. The Zeiss USA web site, indicating authorized dealers, seems to be incomplete or out of date, as it is missing some New York authorized dealers.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
As a film photography hobbyist for over 30 years, I've seen the Cambridge advertisements for about that long. I have sent a few inquiries to them before, but I never purchased from them. I've observed that the items listed in their advertising pages remained in place long after the items' production were discontinued. On a couple of inquiries, they could not say whether the items were in stock. Yes, their prices were lower than average. Their fine print stated that warranties might be offered by their store, rather than the item manufacturer: of course, this means "grey market". I leave it to your judgment.

A correction: I did buy a few items from them: a few of their own-branded photo accessories. They were okay, and I didn't have any problems. Of course, that is the stuff that I limited myself to buying from them.

To me it looks like they are still showing prices from years ago, they still list the entire Bausch & Lomb line and Pentax WPs for gosh sakes.

RobConnel said:
Are they a legitimate seller or is their stuff grey market? They have amazing prices on Trinovids and older Zeisses, but also list Bausch & Lomb so maybe they jsut haven't updated their prices in like 5 years.

Check out this link. This site (resellerratings) is an invaluable reference for anybody attempting to do business on the Internet. This link is for the seller you are asking about. By comparison, you would find a huge positive rating with hundreds of responses for a business such as B&H.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2046-p2-s1-d1.html

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back