• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it too late? (1 Viewer)

david2004

Last year a pair of Blue Tits had almost finished constructing a nest in the House Sparrow Terrace. Another pair starting nesting suddenly in late April, but I think they had moved from another nestbox where they had already been building a nest.

This year I've had very little nestbox interest, even up to now. Investigations are infrequent and I'm pretty sure the Tits aren't nesting. Why are they so late this year? I have several nestboxes that they could use, and have had at least one box occupied for several breeding seasons. Are they just ignoring my boxes this year, or are they very late?

A pair of Great Tits investigated a nestbox in the back garden (the late BTs from last year nested there and fledged 8+ young). They investigated for a while, and then flew away with nesting material in the opposite direction! I find that very strange. I love having my nestboxes occupied and would be really upset if they weren't this year!

Does anyone know why they're being shunned?

Hi David

The Bluetits are prob late nesting as they wait for the arrival of caterpillars.
Spring is about one month late this year so don't despair yet. I have also had interest shown in my nest box but they are not nesting there. They did the same last year, just checked it out then went elswhere to nest. We can only try to help them it's up to them if they accept that help.
Good luck with yours. :t:

Update - I now, although they were quite late, have two pairs of BTs nesting and a pair of Great Tits! One pair of Blue Tits started to nest on 19th April, while the Great Tits started on the 14th.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back