• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV 8x32 vs. 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

I have been reading this older thread on the same topic because I was preparing to order the SV 8x32's and 8.5x42's to compare to my 2006 Nikon Premier LX-L 10x42's, which are my only full size binoculars.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328474

The two new SV's came yesterday and I have given them a good workout last evening, in growing darkness, and today, in bright early morning and mid-morning sun. I am not a birder, but I am an amateur astronomer, so I have some experience discerning detail through binoculars and telescopes.

We live on the edge of the woods. We have several feeders on our deck, with woods beyond. I have always been happy with my 10x42 Nikons. I generally view from indoors or on our deck, with my shoulder resting against a doorway or an outdoor wall of our house. I have 11 oz. 2004 Nikon 10x25 LX's for camping and hiking. They are excellent in full daylight and OK at dusk.

I have already put the 8x32 SV's back in their box to be returned. Even though I am approaching age 70, I guess my pupils must still open up to more than 4mm, since long before dusk the 8X32's showed a clearly dimmer image, with less discernible detail, than the 8.5x42's. Our deck faces west and, as others have noted, looking at images just below or above the setting sun revealed slightly more glare in the 8x32's than the 8.5x42's. However, I do not consider that to be a major concern since moving just 20 degrees or so further away from the sun gave a no-glare image in both Swaros.

I have friends who are birders and they only have 7x and 8x binoculars. I have always had 10x's since, as an amateur astronomer, I am gung-ho for magnification. However, looking at the 8.5x42 SV it was immediately clear that (a) it is easier to find your target in a wider field of view, and (b) jiggling from your hands and your heartbeat is still evident but less pronounced at 8.5x vs. 10x. Notably, as it grew darker last nite, the Swaros gave a noticeably brighter view than the 10x42 Nikons. In evening light, I assumed that was due to the larger exit pupil of the 8.5x42 SV's. There is a large glacial rock at the edge of our yard that has a good range of mosses and depressions that helped in comparing detail in the views of both binoculars. One of the depressions was clearly visible in both binos, but the view in the SV's definitely had a more three dimensional look than in the Nikon's, which I took as an indication of slightly better low-light definition in the SV's.

Surprisingly, in today's mid-morning sunlight, the SV's still provided a slightly brighter image than the Nikons. I'm sure my pupils were only open to 3mm or less in full sunlight, so the slightly brighter daylight image in the SV's may be due to advances in light transmission efficiency since 2006. Another difference worth noting is that the Nikons have a distinctly warmer cast. The Swaros have a view that some people have described as cool, but I would describe as bright and neutral. It is possible the warm cast of the Nikons makes images appear just a bit darker.

I have not decided whether to keep the 8.5x42 SV's. They cost more than twice as much now than I paid for the Nikon's in 2006. Based on my comparison so far, the SV's provide a wider view that makes it easier to find or follow a target. The SV's are also very slightly brighter and more neutral in color cast than the Nikons. I am going to keep comparing the views for another week or so and then decide if the slightly better view is worth the added cost. One perspective is that twelve years is a pretty good time period between binocular upgrades!

I have been reading this older thread on the same topic because I was preparing to order the SV 8x32's and 8.5x42's to compare to my 2006 Nikon Premier LX-L 10x42's, which are my only full size binoculars.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328474

The two new SV's came yesterday and I have given them a good workout last evening, in growing darkness, and today, in bright early morning and mid-morning sun. I am not a birder, but I am an amateur astronomer, so I have some experience discerning detail through binoculars and telescopes.

We live on the edge of the woods. We have several feeders on our deck, with woods beyond. I have always been happy with my 10x42 Nikons. I generally view from indoors or on our deck, with my shoulder resting against a doorway or an outdoor wall of our house. I have 11 oz. 2004 Nikon 10x25 LX's for camping and hiking. They are excellent in full daylight and OK at dusk.

I have already put the 8x32 SV's back in their box to be returned. Even though I am approaching age 70, I guess my pupils must still open up to more than 4mm, since long before dusk the 8X32's showed a clearly dimmer image, with less discernible detail, than the 8.5x42's. Our deck faces west and, as others have noted, looking at images just below or above the setting sun revealed slightly more glare in the 8x32's than the 8.5x42's. However, I do not consider that to be a major concern since moving just 20 degrees or so further away from the sun gave a no-glare image in both Swaros.

I have friends who are birders and they only have 7x and 8x binoculars. I have always had 10x's since, as an amateur astronomer, I am gung-ho for magnification. However, looking at the 8.5x42 SV it was immediately clear that (a) it is easier to find your target in a wider field of view, and (b) jiggling from your hands and your heartbeat is still evident but less pronounced at 8.5x vs. 10x. Notably, as it grew darker last nite, the Swaros gave a noticeably brighter view than the 10x42 Nikons. In evening light, I assumed that was due to the larger exit pupil of the 8.5x42 SV's. There is a large glacial rock at the edge of our yard that has a good range of mosses and depressions that helped in comparing detail in the views of both binoculars. One of the depressions was clearly visible in both binos, but the view in the SV's definitely had a more three dimensional look than in the Nikon's, which I took as an indication of slightly better low-light definition in the SV's.

Surprisingly, in today's mid-morning sunlight, the SV's still provided a slightly brighter image than the Nikons. I'm sure my pupils were only open to 3mm or less in full sunlight, so the slightly brighter daylight image in the SV's may be due to advances in light transmission efficiency since 2006. Another difference worth noting is that the Nikons have a distinctly warmer cast. The Swaros have a view that some people have described as cool, but I would describe as bright and neutral. It is possible the warm cast of the Nikons makes images appear just a bit darker.

I have not decided whether to keep the 8.5x42 SV's. They cost more than twice as much now than I paid for the Nikon's in 2006. Based on my comparison so far, the SV's provide a wider view that makes it easier to find or follow a target. The SV's are also very slightly brighter and more neutral in color cast than the Nikons. I am going to keep comparing the views for another week or so and then decide if the slightly better view is worth the added cost. One perspective is that twelve years is a pretty good time period between binocular upgrades!
I briefly had a Nikon 8X42 HG that I thought was fantastic...until I compared it very carefully to the 8X32 SE. The HG was brighter in the woods but the SE was sharper and richer in detail. I returned the HG and bought myself an 8X32 SE. I also purchased a 7X42 Leica Ultravid (very bright in very low light).

I've used an 8.5X42 SV for many years now and your observation is correct. It's brighter and better than the older Nikon HG/LX models and slightly brighter than the 8X32 SV (more so in very low light).

Have fun!

If you like the Swaro colour reproduction and brightness but would like something less expensive you could try the Swaro 8x42 SLC.

The 8x42 SLC is a fantastic binocular, near perfect in all regards and if you can stomach the price, it is in my opinion just as capable as the Swarovision series. I do like the 8.5x magnification just a little bit better though, for whatever reason; maybe it is just in my head.

In general I much prefer the 8.5x42 to the 8x32 - I found the glare in the 8x32 unacceptable for the price point. If you can get past the glare or find a way to avoid it, it was otherwise a great pair of binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back