• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix FZ-10 (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys, I just stumbled across the discussion on Steve's Digicams by chance and was going to post something here, only to find it's already been done.

Just to confirm for anyone who may be interested in this new camera, there is a very active discussion ongoing here

I was concerned that it may not take additional teleconverter lenses, but by the looks of it a range of such lenses are proposed. The camera is due for launch come November, but it could be some time afterwards before it hits the streets as they are still developing it.

Hi Ian. Probably the most active forum on Panasonic cameras is the new(ish) Panasonic forum at dpreview :
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
Not really recommended at moment since comprises mostly of speculation until the new camera comes out. Some members in the States have pre-ordered cameras (~$580) so hopefully they will be posting sample pics by the end of November. Still not sure when will be available in Europe. You're probably aware that there's a spec sheet for the FZ-10 at warehouseexpress.com.

As regards the convertors, looks like they'll be very big and pricey to maintain quality and maximum aperture (more or less f2.8 at 630mm equivalent for the tele convertor). Forum member Tigadee at dpreview produced this composite picture of the camera with its teleconvertors :
http://www.tigadee.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=1456347

I must admit that I'm really interested in this camera, provided the quality of the photos are good enough.

It was posted that the camera gets launched in Japan on 24th October.

I usually use dpreview myself, but for this camera I found the discussion on Steve's digicams more useful, especially with the in-put from Panasonic itself and similar shots of the camera with teleconverters attached. I think they are talking about the camera having a 72mm mount on the lens which likely means the B300/Tcon 17 will be of no use.

Hmmmm. All I'll say is best of British to you should you try to get some useful info out of Panasonic Bob 3:)

Anyways, if I find anything earth shattering on dpreview I'll let you know; eg. anything substantial on the release dates and prices for Europe.

Regards.

Thanks for that Norman. I'd have thought that there would have been a few reviews out by now. I wonder if it is still being launched this month in the USA. I'm still very interested in this camera myself.

And thanks for acknowledging the post Ian. Not sure how closely you're currently following things on the FZ-10. Might be worth anyway stating the following :

Currently some Asian FZ-10 owners are posting their piccies to web.
Folks in USA who have pre-ordered are waiting in hope of delivery this month.
Test images posted have indicated that the TCON-17 is usable with FZ-10 :
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...p://kazutoku.maxs.jp/Zoom_Club/FZ21/index.htm
Maybe some ingenuity could help reduce the vignetting.
Don't know of any official tests yet.

Bye for now.

Thanks again Norman. Going by those demo photos, then the vigneting is no worse than my current combo of Olympus C2100+Tcon14+B300. I just crop it out.

Things are still looking good :t:

Thanks for all the links people. That translation program is funny, and obviously a bit is lost in the translation. "Green Onions..."

I just wish the camera had more MP. Not that is it everything, but Panasonic has a good reputation and I am not sure 4 MP is enough for me to go for. But the price is certainly tempting.

Dang it! The more I read, the more I like it...thanks a lot Norm...;) (But my wife may not thank you at all!)

Anyone looked into the price for an adapter for the B-300?

I had not noticed that it has an ED lens.

Set of test pictures at http://www.pbase.com/camboy/panasonic_fz_10
(sorry only cars, bikes and buildings). The set five rows down probably of most interest : maximum zoom showing effect of different ISO settings. I think the ISO50 sample has some camera shake or maybe focus error (see the slight double image on the very small 'O' at the right bottom of the number plate). But clearly least noise.

bcurrie said:
Dang it! The more I read, the more I like it...thanks a lot Norm...;) (But my wife may not thank you at all!)

Anyone looked into the price for an adapter for the B-300?

I had not noticed that it has an ED lens.

Hi Brian,

I've got to say that I'm still very impressed by this camera.

A friend in the USA has pre-ordered one and already bought the B300's 72mm-55mm- step-down ring. He got it on this link from B&H, a USA supplier.

Unfortunately the postage to the UK is $26 which is dearer than the item itself!

Last edited:
Step up ring

IanF said:
A friend in the USA has pre-ordered one and already bought the B300's 55mm-72mm step-up ring.
Unfortunately the postage to the UK is $26 which is dearer than the item itself!

SRB in the UK have the 55mm - 72mm step up ring in their catalogue at £7.95 +p & p...

John Fleet

Hi John,

Unfortuantely it's a step-down ring that you need. It has to step down from the 72mm of the Z10 to the 55mm of the B300/Tcon17. Don't worry it was my fault, I realised I'd made a mistake when I read your post and edited my earlier one to avoid further confusion.

I had a look on the SRB site and they don't produce that size as standard, though they will custom build one for a price. I haven't yet enquired with them as to how much they'd charge.

Last edited:
Just looked for 72-55 step-down ring at :
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/html/prodframe.html
Nearest was two step down rings (72-62 & 62-55) @£3.95 each. Presumably this will only increase liklihood of vignetting.

I guess in the link given above, those TCON-17 test shots were produced by a step-down ring being attached to the front of the supplied lens hood. I think the writer is suggesting that 1.5cm is lost between the front of the lens and the front of the hood (hence back of convertor) which becomes even more critical in trying to attach a wide convertor. Perhaps this "interpretation" is what prompted someone at dpreview to suggest they may get a machinist friend to cobble together an adaptor which would allow a snug fit between convertor and lens :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=6542221

Ian, hopefully your friend will soon be able to offer some enlightenment :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back