• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 500 F5.6 PF (1 Viewer)

Len Poxon

I currently have a Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens which I use on a Nikon D500 camera. I am considering purchasing a Nikon 500mm F5.6 PF lens. Most of my photography is for birds where I tend to walk around a lot. I believe the Nikon lens would provide a superior image and would be more comfortable to hand hold, but would I miss the extra reach that the 600mm lens provides? And if so if I use a 1.4 teleconverter with it, is it going to degrade the image so much that I lose the perecieved benefits of an improved image?

Last edited:
Hi, Len. I have the D500 and the 500mm f/5.6 PF lens. I, too, walk around a lot and take photos of birds, and I can tell you that the combination of the D500 and the 500mm f/5.6 is an excellent combination. Because the two of them together weight ~5 lbs, they are easy to carry and hand-hold. The 500mm is the sharpest lens you'll every own, period. I found that fine tuning the autofocus on the D500 made a noticeable difference, so take the time to do that should you buy the 500mm. For reference, here is a link to my Flickr photo page. All of the recent bird photos were shot with this combo. Also, I did purchase the 1.4 teleconverter, but rarely use it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/18276798@N07/
Dan O'Donnell

Thanks for your comments Dan. I have checked out your Flickr site and you have some great photos, that Kestrel you photographed yesterday was a cracking shot.

I decided to take the plunge and have ordered a Nikon 500F5.6 PF from Panamoz today.

You will really love it as very very few complaints from anyone especially for the price and size for use... Watch out grabbing it by the foot as it easily will come off if you touch the removal latch..

Here is mine on my D850

7712F118-FBF7-47A8-B677-E4CDF2C8787C.jpeg

Thanks BulbMogul I have read about issues with the foot so I will be careful in that regard. Is that why you use the strap on the camera?

Thanks BulbMogul I have read about issues with the foot so I will be careful in that regard. Is that why you use the strap on the camera?

No not at all. I just put a strap on a camera body to have it on there as I have always carried this above combo walking around just by holding the lens barrel by the foot and so easy and comfy. For what this lens is, its a heck of a piece of glass...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back