• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

A monograph of the Pittidæ, or family of ant-thrushes

Is A monograph of the Pittidæ, or family of ant-thrushes first Edition NEW YORK: D. APPLETON, 1861–1863 online? Somehow to expensive here. I know this newer Edition.

A monograph of the Pittidæ, or family of ant-thrushes first Edition NEW YORK: D. APPLETON, 1861–1863 (link in Laurent's reply, below) ...

To me it looks like Paul Oudart [i.e. Paul Louis Oudart (1796–1860)], prior to his death, made 4 of the Plates in the very first Edition of this book (1861–1863); "Caerulean Pitta" (opening 16), "Nepaul Pitta"( opening 19), "Noisy Pitta" (opening 33), and "Blue Pitta" (opening 43). All credited to him/typed: "P. Oudart Paris, 1859", in the left corners of the Plates (in tiny print).

Thus not 3 as claimed, here and/alt. here (the latter link is the same as Martin's first one in post #161).

Compare also with the copy in BHL (from the later, far more expanded, 2nd Edition, here). Note: In this Edition Oudart's Plate of the "Nepaul Pitta" ["Brachyurus (Gigantipitta, Bon.) Nepalenis"] was replaced by two Plates by W. Hart (No. VII, of a female and juvenile, and No. VIII, of a male, as "Pitta nepalensis").

It's in the 2nd Edition (1893–1895) that 3 Plates bear the signs of Oudart's artistic skills.

If of any use?

/B

PS. No other digitized version found (of the 1st Editon), that doesn't require Adobe flash.
-

Last edited:
Thanks! Very surprised this didn't come up in my search as BHL usually comes at or near the top!
Assuming you searched on the title as given in your post #169, you used a partly "modernized" version for some of the words, which may be the explanation...?
The original has: "Verzeichniss" (a deprecated spelling), and "Kaffernlande" (an old-fashion dative singular).

(If you took the title from some Wiki page, it may be worth correcting it there. Note that your title also omits the umlauts.)

Assuming you searched on the title as given in your post #169, you used a partly "modernized" version for some of the words, which may be the explanation...?
The original has: "Verzeichniss" (a deprecated spelling), and "Kaffernlande" (an old-fashion dative singular).

(If you took the title from some Wiki page, it may be worth correcting it there. Note that your title also omits the umlauts.)
That'll explain it, thanks! And will do :t:

Another, please!

Avium systema naturale (Reichenbach, 1850)

The BHL edition doesn't include what I'm looking for (the protologue of Ptyonoprogne Reichenbach, 1850; plate LXXXVII fig.[6])

Hmmm . . . if it isn't, would that make the genus invalid, or at least better cited to a different later author?
The name is available from there. (Although some authors, like Mathews, have in the past treated all the names introduced in a similar way by Reichenbach as unidentifiable.) I just always feel it is rather odd to call a drawing a 'protologue' -- somehow this lacks the λόγος (= verbal utterance, discourse) dimension entirely. But it may just be me.

Introduction without any included nominal species. The type is Hirundo rupestris Scopoli 1769 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/31117794 by subsequent monotypy in Parzudaki 1856 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/33450559.

(edit: BHL ascribes that part Abt.2, Bd.1 to 1836 ??)
Yes, I know. They are wrong. ;)

Last edited:
Oeuvres completes de Buffon

I gave up to understand all this different publications of Oeuvres completes de Buffon. Gubernatrix might be even in Biodiversity Heritage Library to find. But which Edition can I find this Volume 8 where Lesson described Gubernatrix?

OK here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back