Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa white label? Also serial number question.

Old Sunday 4th October 2020, 19:33   #1
Artigas

Kowa white label? Also serial number question.

I saw this scope by the German company APM and it looks an awful lot like Kowa scopes. Could it be that it is made by Kowa?

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/bin...-eyepiece.html

Also, on my 883, which I bought new last month, I just noticed that some of the numbers on the serial number have been blacked out by marker. Is this normal?

Thank you,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	738982  
Old Tuesday 6th October 2020, 09:56   #2
BoldenEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artigas View Post
Also, on my 883, which I bought new last month, I just noticed that some of the numbers on the serial number have been blacked out by marker. Is this normal?
Hi,

I don't know about normal but also in my Prominar 883 there were some blacked out serial numbers.

Regards, Juhani
Old Tuesday 6th October 2020, 11:49   #3
PYRTLE

See this link.....https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370074

The company retailing it may be German but that does not mean it is made in Germany or Japan. A Chinese copy.

The altered serial numbers seems a strange activity..... suspicious, why would anyone feel the need to change them.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Tuesday 6th October 2020 at 12:12.
Old Tuesday 6th October 2020, 18:22   #4
jring

Hi,

the APMs are certainly not made by Kowa and also not a straight clone... Kowa does not build an 85mm scope and their 88mm offering uses a doublet objective lens with a fluorite element while the APM example uses a triplet objective with probably one ED element (might be two).

Also the fact that it takes Swarovski EPs is not really a hint for a Kowa clone...

PS: as for the blacked out digits in the Kowa scopes - were these bought used and the serial number was blacked out for images on ebay maybe?

Joachim
Old Tuesday 6th October 2020, 19:41   #5
BoldenEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
PS: as for the blacked out digits in the Kowa scopes - were these bought used and the serial number was blacked out for images on ebay maybe?
Mine was bought as a new.

If I remember correct, also the first sample I had (and which I returned), had blacked out serial numbers.

Juhani
Old Thursday 8th October 2020, 15:35   #6
WRL

I just checked my TSN-883 (bought in February this year new at a renowned shop). Same procedure. However, the blackended out numbers do certainly not constitute a serial number or being a direct part of it. I assume that is a kind of checksum or control number.
There are two groups of numbers 1,2,4,8. This can be used to generate a hexdecimal number, since - depending what you blacken (making "not counting") - you can estabish (as a sum of all not blackened) any integer number between 0 (all blackened) and 15 (non blackened) in each group (16 = hexadecimal). This results in a two digit hexadecimal code. Whatever this code means. - Any other thoughts?
I am quite confident that Kowa scope owners should not be alarmed in any way. That is just the way Kowa is identifying their stuff.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: