• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Nesting Places (1 Viewer)

eagle golden

Hi thought I would start a thread on unusual nesting places for birds, as I was working away on my allotment when a movement caught my eye, looking in my patch of ruhbarb, I found a dunnucks nest with five lovely blue egg's, so I must watch them as we have a few preditors, on the alotments.

It's probably not too unusual but Sparrows have nested and bred in our Blue tit box.......for years Blue Tits hae reared young from there so why Sparrows this year???????

Some years ago a pair of collar doves started building a nest on our bird table. I was very concerned since it was totally in the open and there are many cats about. I phoned the RSPB and they said that since they had just started nest building I could cover up the bird table. I did this with a thick bright blue plastic bag.
The doves kept trying to get on to the table so a couple of days later I relented and cut a 'door' into the plastic.
End of the story was when 2 chick fledged in front of us. The next year my husband built a lovely dove cote which they never used!!

One of the more unusual nests I've found was under the hood of an abandoned junker car in the middle of the Nevada desert miles from anywhere. Like most such jetsam in my home state it was riddled with bullet holes. The bird was a Say's Phoebe & was feeding its nestlings through the narrow crack between the sprung hood & the body of the car.

Back in the mists of time, well the 1960's actually, we found a blackbirds nest, with eggs - on the ground under a sheet of corrugated iron! It was in the local park in the foresters compound where massive bonfires were a regular occurrence!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back