• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EMA-1 Eyepiece Adapter For The EDG Field Scopes (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hi everyone, We recently purchased another scope to try, a used Nikon EDG 65 angled field scope kit in what appears to be in like new condition & will receive it in about a week. I will be selling the FEP zoom eyepiece to help pay for some fixed eyepieces. The Nikon fixed FEP eyepieces are pretty pricey so I was wondering if the EMA-1 eyepiece adapter used with other Nikon's field scope eyepieces would be a bad or good choice to use on the EDG scope for visual use. Before I put a post in the wanted section here for this adapter I would like to here some other opinions about its use. Any advice would be appreciated ..... gwen

Last edited:
If you don't happen to already own older fieldscope eye pieces,
I would get an EDG eye piece. The EDG65 is a very fine scope and would be worth it.
The resale value would also be kept better I think.
That said, I haven't actually tried the EDG with the EMA-1 adapter and an older EP.
And the performance will probably be ok, but not as good as the EDG65 can manage with matched EP:s.
Edge sharpness, vignetting and CA might be things that can suffer/occur using the adapter + older EP:s.

Is it the 20-60x/16-48x EDG zoom you intend to sell? Why if I may ask?

Last edited:
I am not a real big fan of Zoom eyepieces. I wear my glasses most of the time and I am assuming even the standard zoom which comes with the scopes will disappoint me when it comes to actual eye relief/comfortable to use while wearing glasses. I have never looked thru the EDG 65 scope with the WEP 16-48x zoom, who knows maybe I will be totally surprised and decide to keep it. The reasonable price I paid was a major factor why I made the purchase with knowing I could always sell off the zoom. ......gwen

I am not a real big fan of Zoom eyepieces. I wear my glasses most of the time and I am assuming even the standard zoom which comes with the scopes will disappoint me when it comes to actual eye relief/comfortable to use while wearing glasses. I have never looked thru the EDG 65 scope with the WEP 16-48x zoom, who knows maybe I will be totally surprised and decide to keep it. The reasonable price I paid was a major factor why I made the purchase with knowing I could always sell off the zoom. ......gwen

The eye relief is quite good for the EDG-zoom. 18.4-16.5 mm according to the spec. So it might work fine.

That would be great if it did, when I get it next week I will give my opinion on how it performs compared to all the other scopes that I have handled.

I received the Nikon EDG spotter with its zoom eyepiece today. I must say after playing with it for about ten minutes its oozes quality. As the seller said it did arrive in new condition, so that was a big relief to see that other people besides myself treat their equipment with such great care especially since it has had two previous owners before me . As I stated earlier I was concerned about the zooms eye relief. Using it with powers between 16x-20 ? was just manageable using my glasses but with no actual power indicators other than Low - High on the outside of the zoom eyepiece you really only know what the first setting power is and last. In between you have to guess what the actual power is set at. I am kind of baffled as why Nikon would not have all the power ranges indicated on such a high dollar scope but then again all the negative things I have ever read about Nikon spotting scopes was always with their eyepieces. Mostly with inadequate eye relief but not with not spending an extra fraction of a cent to have the manufacture imprint on the outside of the zoom some simple numbers to indicate what power you were using. Due to the fact the zoom just does not work for me with my glasses on means I will have to sell the zoom . I am sure if I was 45 years younger with no glasses I would be praising the zooms optical quality views right up to its max output. I will have to hold off my final decision til I can purchase at least one of the optional fixed eyepieces. Other than the zoom I really like the spotting scope a lot.

Last edited:
I received the Nikon EDG spotter with its zoom eyepiece today. I must say after playing with it for about ten minutes its oozes quality. As the seller said it did arrive in new condition, so that was a big relief to see that other people besides myself treat their equipment with such great care especially since it has had two previous owners before me . As I stated earlier I was concerned about the zooms eye relief. Using it with powers between 16x-20 ? was just manageable using my glasses but with no actual power indicators other than Low - High on the outside of the zoom eyepiece you really only know what the first setting power is and last. In between you have to guess what the actual power is set at. I am kind of baffled as why Nikon would not have all the power ranges indicated on such a high dollar scope but then again all the negative things I have ever read about Nikon spotting scopes was always with their eyepieces. Mostly with inadequate eye relief but not with not spending an extra fraction of a cent to have the manufacture imprint on the outside of the zoom some simple numbers to indicate what power you were using. Due to the fact the zoom just does not work for me with my glasses on means I will have to sell the zoom . I am sure if I was 45 years younger with no glasses I would be praising the zooms optical quality views right up to its max output. I will have to hold off my final decision til I can purchase at least one of the optional fixed eyepieces. Other than the zoom I really like the spotting scope a lot.

Sorry to hear the zoom didn't work out.
Did you get blackouts or did you just not see enough of the field?
Did you notice any difference in ER between the mid zoom range and at max mag? ER tend to be the shortest in the middle of the range.

The mag/zoom range being different for 85 and 65 mm scopes, probably the reason for not printing any figures.

You will most likely find the fixed EP:s better.
I tried the 24x/30x on a friends EDG65 scope (24x on the 65mm), it was very impressive.

Did you notice any difference in ER between the mid zoom range and at max mag? ER tend to be the shortest in the middle of the range.

The mag/zoom range being different for 85 and 65 mm scopes, probably the reason for not printing any figures.

I tried the 24x/30x on a friends EDG65 scope (24x on the 65mm), it was very impressive.

While using my glasses I did not have any black outs. Just not enough eye relief, got smaller as the zoom power increased. I saw the spec's on line regarding the 24/30x eyepiece. That is the one I will likely try to purchase first. My last eye exam showed I had cataract development. The eye doctor tried to cheer me up saying it goes with the age. Like that was going to really cheer me up. What a bitch to be a senior citizen. I am hoping when the time comes for surgery, technology will have advanced enough so I will be able to use optics with out glasses. Until then I am thank full I can still get out of bed without pain to even think about using my stuff outside.

A few weeks ago I received a EDG 24/30x fixed power eyepiece from Ace optics in Bath. It was advertised as used but I could not find a mark on it. Real glad I checked their web site, saved a bunch of dollars not buying New and actually got a in New condition used eyepiece. Their outstanding customer service/communication combined with their great packaging/fast shipping to me in the states more than met my expectations. I will be keeping an eye on their used inventory from now on. Yes the 24/30 eyepiece is very impressive on the EDG 65 scope. The eyepiece ocular lens is huge, making it very easy to use. This eyepiece is no doubt one of the nicest wide power eyepieces I have ever used in this power range. Now I can see why Nikon set the price so high. With $1450. now invested in the EDG 65 with the zoom & 24x Wide eyepiece, saying I got the best bang for my buck for any Alpha 65mm spotter now available is an understatement. I have read that the EDG series spotters were a failure because it not meet Nikon's sales expectations ... too bad. The view this scope provides surely could not have been one of the reasons for the poor sales expectations.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back