• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldcrest or Firecrest in Poligny, France a week ago (1 Viewer)

vilbs

Hi there. Is the attached a Firecrest? Really hoping it is as it seems to have the white supercilium. Such a wonderful bird to watch regardless.
Many thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2294~01.jpg
    DSCN2294~01.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN2312~01.jpg
    DSCN2312~01.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2309~01.jpg
    DSCN2309~01.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 52
Hi Vilbs, definitely Goldcrest, the Firecrest has a really distinctive supercilium made more vivid by being bordered by a bold black eye-stripe and black sides to the crown. Just as a learning point I'm not seeing any hint of a white supercilium on any of these pictures and wondering whether you are looking for something different?

Ah thanks guys for the quick ID. Wonderful bird - so very small and excitable. Must use up a lot of energy move around so much!
@Foxy - thanks for the education. On the third pic just above the eye is a white bit which is what I thought was the supercilium but I guess that it should be bolder and arch further across the head?
Thanks again both.

Yes, the white over the eye in the picture is a part of an eye ring whereas the supercilium is more of a stripe above the eye. I think it comes from the Latin for eye brow.
Keep looking, you've a good chance of Firecrest in France and look forward to seeing tbe picture!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back