• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorter pan bar for Monfrotto MVH500AH (1 Viewer)

Bird Hard 2

Cynical Sceptic
Hi,
I have recently bought a new Monfrotto MVH500AH. It's good, but the pan bar (handle), at around 33 cms, is way too long. I believe the model of the pan bar is the 500HLV.
https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/pvc-free-pan-bar
It's difficult for me to get it into the back of my car because it extends so far and it gets in the way when I'm trying to look through my scope.
Is there a shorter alternative I can use? I've seen things like this telescopic pan bar: https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/pan-bar-509hlv
but that's listed as being 38cms, although I don't know if that's fully extended.
Does anyone know if I can get a shorter version of the 500HLV?

In the past, us birdwatchers have shortened Manfrotto handles by carefully cutting them to suit by careful use of a sharp hacksaw and filing down any rough edges before replacing the foam handles.....on 128, 700 and 701. If your a keen DIYer then worth a shot. Foam handles removed by steam and gentle twisting.
Good luck anyhow.

In the past, us birdwatchers have shortened Manfrotto handles by carefully cutting them to suit by careful use of a sharp hacksaw and filing down any rough edges before replacing the foam handles.....on 128, 700 and 701. If your a keen DIYer then worth a shot. Foam handles removed by steam and gentle twisting.
Good luck anyhow.

That sounds like a good shout. I'll see if I can get the handle off and ask the workshop at work if they will be able to cut it back for for me.
Thanks a lot.

I cannot comment on the Manfrotto 500 AH as I don't have one! Currently I use the Manfrotto 701 HDV which, I believe, is it's predecessor.

Assuming that your 500 functions in a similar way to my 701 then I would suggest that the best place for the "Pan Bar" is the bin. I find that it just gets in the way when I am viewing through my scope. I just set the panning tension at minimum and a little drag on the vertical tension and just steer my scope with my eye.

Naturally if you need to re-compose in a hurry then more assistance is required, so I put my one hand on top of my scope. This allows quick re composition and my hand is already there to adjust focus. I find this to be quicker, simpler and it also leaves my other hand free for essential tasks like holding my mug of tea!

Seriously though - I don't use my pan Bar/handle anymore as it just gets in my way and slows me down. Give it a go before you spend any money, it might suit you?

I cannot comment on the Manfrotto 500 AH as I don't have one! Currently I use the Manfrotto 701 HDV which, I believe, is it's predecessor.

Assuming that your 500 functions in a similar way to my 701 then I would suggest that the best place for the "Pan Bar" is the bin. I find that it just gets in the way when I am viewing through my scope. I just set the panning tension at minimum and a little drag on the vertical tension and just steer my scope with my eye.

Naturally if you need to re-compose in a hurry then more assistance is required, so I put my one hand on top of my scope. This allows quick re composition and my hand is already there to adjust focus. I find this to be quicker, simpler and it also leaves my other hand free for essential tasks like holding my mug of tea!

Seriously though - I don't use my pan Bar/handle anymore as it just gets in my way and slows me down. Give it a go before you spend any money, it might suit you?

Good call. I considered doing this, so perhaps I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Thanks for your comments.

Hi,

or if you're concerned about resale value - unscrew the original handle, measure the diameter, get some aluminum pipe roughly the same diameter, cut to size, put some duct tape at one end as a handle and you're in business...

Joachim

I've got the MVH500 AH and 701 HDV. In both cases I removed the pan bar because its way too long and gets in the way. Its fine without a pan bar for birding but for digi/phone-scoping, panning would probably be smoother with a pan bar.

Good point Richard Scott. I use my scope purely for viewing so I couldn't comment about Digi Scoping. I use a DSLR + long lens for my photography rather than a scope.

I've cut my handle on this head, and done the same for a couple of mates' set-ups too.
You can play a hairdryer on a hot setting over the rubber grip, and then slide it off when warm. Cut to the required length with a hacksaw, and file the rough edges off. The grip slides on fairly easily without heating.
I'm no great DIY-er, so if i can do it, anyone can. The handle supplied is for video use, where the length is much more suitable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back