• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (3 Viewers)

yeah but the first one's a clear cut herring gull also: look at the GCs, window and tail pattern...
another one from yesterday labelled kittiwake...http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/3/4096673.jpg
among the real cracks in holland there are tons of not so experienced people. usually in such large databases somebody looks for the right IDs?

What generation are the tertials on the first bird?

Cheers, Andy.

Hi all,

This hybrid was present in Dartford, Kent, this morning.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• LBBG x Herring hybrid.JPG
    LBBG x Herring hybrid.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 112
  • LBBG x Herring hybrid2.JPG
    LBBG x Herring hybrid2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 169
1st generation. some HGs do have this wide pale inserts.

OK Lou. Just toying with the idea of it being a retarded 2cy.

Hybrid - yeah! Would have helped if I'd said what the parents were. Sorry. :-O

Note the bright yellow legs.

Another observer had a different hybrid an hour later.

Cheers,

Andy.

OK Lou. Just toying with the idea of it being a retarded 2cy.

Hybrid - yeah! Would have helped if I'd said what the parents were. Sorry. :-O

Note the bright yellow legs.

Another observer had a different hybrid an hour later.

Cheers,

Andy.

Still a Herring Gull type for me, you sure the legs are Yellow?!

Cheers,
Dave.

His parents are very naughty and should have stuck to the same species rather than try a different species ;)

Well done with the Kittiwake Cristian, great pics too.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thank you, Andy.
It seems that we have an influx of young Kittiwakes all over the Central and Eastern Europe, with an unusual large number of records in Italy, Poland, Hungary and Romania. I would like to know the explanation for the fact that all the records are about 1cy birds...

Hi chaps,

Not so hot on Gulls and would appreciate comments on the attached bird. Taken in October in Norfolk.

Many thanks,

Pete

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    394.6 KB · Views: 142
Hi chaps,

Not so hot on Gulls and would appreciate comments on the attached bird. Taken in October in Norfolk.

Many thanks,

Pete

Looks like a nice Caspian 1st Calender

Tertials spot on, nice greater covert pattern, whitish head and bill structure, clean cut for me...

Thought that this was funny looking - is it just a a heavily abraded Herring Gull? (Norfolk, UK).

Funny looking

Cheers,
Archie

Hi Archie - I can't see your gull pic mate.

Pete - I agree with Lou. Nice find. Note the long, thin bill and the dark diamonds atop the thin, black shafts on the scapulars (without the anchor bases - compare to my 1st winter yellow legged below). Size = female.

Cheers,

Andy.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies. I had this down as a Caspian but wanted to be 100% sure given that my field experience of the species is restricted to this bird.

Cracking thread, keep it up.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back