• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Gray Go-away Bird (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
I'm intrigued.

I just spent the last hour googling this bird but can't seem to find an article on how its name came to be. There are plenty of articles but none (that I read) citing why it was named that. Does anyone know?

It looks like the generic family "Go-Away" is named after its call, then the particular species name modifies it, ie Gray, White-bellied, Bare-faced, etc. I found the below with Google.

From the Honolulu Zoo's page on White-bellied Go-Away bird:

"These birds usually fly very noisily from one tree to another. Their voice consists of one or two syllable barks with some longer wailing notes. Their call consists of a loud and nasal "gwaa." When they are calling, it is almost as if they are saying "go-wayeer" hence the name of the Go-Away bird. They are often seen single, or in pairs. When spotted they are usually perched on a tree branch noisily telling others to "go away." Their call is very helpful to prey animals because they will start calling loudly when a predator such as a leopard enters it's territory."

You obviously haven't been to the drier parts of Kenya, where the typical "go-away_ is a common sound of the bush. I love 'em anyway:)))

I saw lots of them in Kruger National Park, South Africa, last month. Here's one. The call never sounded anything like "Go away" to me!

Attachments

• Copy of GGoAwayBird1.jpg
    Copy of GGoAwayBird1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 95
In my two African field guides the name is explained like this:

- "All often sit exposed in the canopy of trees, and some utter loud onomatopoeic calls (hence go-away-bird)" (on Go-away-birds in general, from Stevenson & Fanshawe's 'Field guide to the birds of East Africa').

- "CALL. A harsh, nasal 'waaaay' or 'kay-waaaay', from which it derives its vernacular name of 'Go-away bird'." (taken from the description of the Grey Lourie/Go-away bird in Sinclair & Hockley's 'The larger illustrated guide to birds of Southern Africa').

Best regards,

Iben

Thanks to all that chimed in here.

The name of the bird really surprised me. Just seems so........ I don't know unscientific?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back