• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammal Tracks, Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

scottk

Raccoon?

Attachments

• IMG954732.jpg
    IMG954732.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG954733.jpg
    IMG954733.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG954735.jpg
    IMG954735.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG954737.jpg
    IMG954737.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 93
Surely too big for Raccoon?

How far between front and back legs, could it be a young Black Bear?

Last edited:
By comparison with the hand for size, quite a big animal, size of approx a large dog. Five toes looks like a mustelid; does Wolverine occur in the area? Otherwise perhaps an American Badger or a River Otter?

By comparison with the hand for size, quite a big animal, size of approx a large dog. Five toes looks like a mustelid; does Wolverine occur in the area? Otherwise perhaps an American Badger or a River Otter?

Wolverine crossed my mind too together with Porcupine.

They don't seem terribly big to me tbh (unless the lady has huge hands, which I doubt). Also, seems like it's an animal that walks on its soles, so that should exclude a few possibilities.

Wolverines are very rare almost anywhere in the U.S. and do not occur in the east. I thought of fisher too, but doesn't seem a close match with what I googled, but I'm not a track ID expert.

Last edited:
They don't seem terribly big to me tbh (unless the lady has huge hands, which I doubt). Also, seems like it's an animal that walks on its soles, so that should exclude a few possibilities.
I'd judge about 5-6 cm wide (about equal to a fairly large dog, perhaps Labrador size?) and 10-11 cm long. Could perhaps appear larger than originally though, due to snow thaw.

I'd judge about 5-6 cm wide (about equal to a fairly large dog, perhaps Labrador size?) and 10-11 cm long. Could perhaps appear larger than originally though, due to snow thaw.

Note the ridge between the pad and the claws, most obvious in pic 3, not too many species have this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back