• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with technique (1 Viewer)

birdpotter

I have attached three photos. I don't have a digital. These have all been copied from film onto a CD. I use a Nikon N60 with a 200-400mm lens.

I am not happy with how my backgrounds are in photos like the one with the Scarlet Tanager, and can't seem to get good clear shots. I could use a better lens, I am sure. The Hummingbird is a little dark, I am not sure how to combat that either. I would like to improve my photos with the camera, not the computer, seeing how my main records are on film, although it has been nice to have them on CD. I have had to resize all of these photos to fit the size requirements for the forum so besides poor background and dark shots, they are a little grainy.

I am not in a position to purchase any digital equipment, which of course would be the ideal answer...or even a larger lens.
I was just wondering if there were any old schoolers out there, who could give a few tips on photgraphing. I have been pleased every so often with my shots, but I am in need of improvement-I have hit a wall with my photography. Any advice would be helpful.

Best to all
Elizabeth

Attachments

• scarlettanager4.jpg
    scarlettanager4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 205
  • laughinggulls9.jpg
    laughinggulls9.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 214
  • rubythroat.jpg
    rubythroat.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 224
Lol! It's so long since I used my film camera that I can't recall how to use it ;)

The Laughing Gulls look just fine as regards exposure and focus.

The Scarlet Tanager is suffering from the camera having metered off the sky rather than the bird and Hummingbird is over exposed making it too dark - possibly due to the camera metering having picked up that white area top right. Whether using film or digital the problems and the way to tackle them are the same.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that camera to advise on settings. I take it the camera has manual focus? A simple way to combat both these situations is to use manual focus on the bird and then point the camera at someting of similar colouring to the subject - in the good old days that often meant simply taking the camera metering off the ground half depressing the shutter or using AE lock and checking focus on the bird.

An alternative would be to set the camera on full manual and use a hand held meter - usually pointed at the ground and use the reading to set the camera and then focus on the bird.

I dare say the camera has EV compensation? If it does then that feature is designed for these awkward exposure situations. With the Hummingbird maybe 1/3 (0.3) or 2/3 (0.7) maybe enough. With the Tanager then 1.0 or 1.3 maybe needed.

Even in digital photography some computer work is usually needed. The Laughing Gull shots clean up nicely using Picture Cooler.

Attachments

• filtered_laughinggulls9.JPG
    filtered_laughinggulls9.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 173
IanF said:
Lol! It's so long since I used my film camera that I can't recall how to use it ;)

The Laughing Gulls look just fine as regards exposure and focus.

The Scarlet Tanager is suffering from the camera having metered off the sky rather than the bird and Hummingbird is over exposed making it too dark - possibly due to the camera metering having picked up that white area top right. Whether using film or digital the problems and the way to tackle them are the same.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that camera to advise on settings. I take it the camera has manual focus? A simple way to combat both these situations is to use manual focus on the bird and then point the camera at someting of similar colouring to the subject - in the good old days that often meant simply taking the camera metering off the ground half depressing the shutter or using AE lock and checking focus on the bird.

An alternative would be to set the camera on full manual and use a hand held meter - usually pointed at the ground and use the reading to set the camera and then focus on the bird.

I dare say the camera has EV compensation? If it does then that feature is designed for these awkward exposure situations. With the Hummingbird maybe 1/3 (0.3) or 2/3 (0.7) maybe enough. With the Tanager then 1.0 or 1.3 maybe needed.

Even in digital photography some computer work is usually needed. The Laughing Gull shots clean up nicely using Picture Cooler.

Thank you Ian,
I think my biggest problem(like you said) is what my camera is metering off of...I have been working with it, it is a bear as far as I am concerned. It can be completely automatic or partially manual. I am thinking of switching back to my Pentax K1000 and searching for a longer lens, because this camera, with all its bells and whistles, really is a pain, unless I am taking pictures of my kid or a flower.
I will try your recommendations as soon as I figure out how to get a manual meter setting... THAT, of course, would be the best answer and I should have thought of it, but have been using it in automatic mode, and my brain shut down.

Thank you very much, you have helped me and given me somewhere to start.
Best
Elizabeth

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back