• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly Islands (1 Viewer)

Pluvius said:
I intend to go in first week oj july, which island is best to stay on re birding.

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

Stay on St Mary's, it has all the facilities including a choice of where to go in the evenings. Tresco costs too much and if you want to do small boat pelagics or get boats to other islands St Mary's is the hub.

Have a good time its a great place

John

Agree with JD's above post St Marys is the best to stay with all inter island boats leaving from there as well as the pelagics.

Dont forget to take a day trip to my favourite island St Agnes were I based myself in my Scilly days.
Great little island, with a great pub, were else in Britain can you watch Yellow Browed Warblers and Surf Scoter from whilst sipping a pint or six.

Hey Pluvius, so as not to upset the natives (and there are a few of them left) the correct names for the islands are Isles of Scilly or Scillies, never Scilly Islands. Have a great holiday. Roger

Talking about Scilly i think it has been poor for rarities last couple of years or so i know it has had Ovenbird and Cream Coloured C.But i think the Northern Isles have really taken over from Scilly for getting the real Mega birds.Same with Iceland for the America birds.

Beautiful islands but it'll be pretty dead for birding in July. However, pelagics will be excellent with an all but guaranteed chance of Wilson's Storm Petrel. Boats go from St. Mary's so, as already suggested, stay there.

I'll second the recomendation to visit St. Agnes. I stay there in October and it's my favourite island too.

marek_walford said:
Beautiful islands but it'll be pretty dead for birding in July. However, pelagics will be excellent with an all but guaranteed chance of Wilson's Storm Petrel. Boats go from St. Mary's so, as already suggested, stay there.

I'll second the recomendation to visit St. Agnes. I stay there in October and it's my favourite island too.

The boat trip over is excellent for Shearwaters and Petrels as well, keep your eyes peeled.

rokermartin said:
Talking about Scilly i think it has been poor for rarities last couple of years or so i know it has had Ovenbird and Cream Coloured C.But i think the Northern Isles have really taken over from Scilly for getting the real Mega birds.Same with Iceland for the America birds.

I suppose it depends whether you go back a couple of years or a few, but Lesser Kestrel, Blue Rock Thrush, Siberian and White's Thrushes, Short-toed Eagle.......never write the Scillies off!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back