• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (5 Viewers)

A couple of hours seawatching, and a wander through the marsh / dunes at Red Rocks, Hoylake, Wirral, turned up Manx Shearwater, Nthn Gannet, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Eur Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Common Whitethroat . There were plenty Barn Swallow belting northward as well. My year total is now 654. :t:

This morning around my local patch (oxbow lakes region) south of St. Joseph, Missouri.
Forster's Tern, Bank Swallow and Baltimore Oriole.

A trip over to Anglesey today added another 9 species ( including some I should have got earlier in the year ). There were plenty of auks back on the ledges but, despite walking all the way down the steps to the lighthouse at South Stack ( and all the b****y way back up ), there were no signs of Atlantic Puffin. :-C Black Guillemot were showing really well at Holyhead Fish Quay and there were a pair of Raven with 2 young perched on the sea wall.

Four new birds today bring me up to 199. I tried hard to find one more to get to an even 200, but no luck. Maybe tomorrow.

196. Chestnut-sided Warbler
197. Golden-winged Warbler
198. Yellow-breasted Chat
199. Acadian Flycatcher

Dave

108. Clay-colored sparrow
109. sharp shinned hawk
110. indigo bunting
111. Western kingbird
112. Bell’s vireo
113 lark sparrow

Last edited:
Camping this weekend up in the Tehachapi mountain range at the restricted access Tejon Ranch of California (half the size of Rhode Island :eek!:) - 90% protected, the ranch's conservancy program was hosting a BioBlitz event to catalogue as much wildlife as possible! Beyond the birds, some of the highlights were:
-Brown Myotis (bat) roost (waiting on ID confirmation)
-American Badger! In daylight!
-Baja California Chorus Frogs
-On a midnight hike, we literally stumbled upon (5 feet away from) a wrestling match to the death between a Viriginia Opossum and a Pacific Gopher Snake. Just flesh, scales, teeth and blood rolled up into a ball! The possum ran off pretty peeved we'd disturbed his meal. The snake was likely done for. He hissed at us, bleeding, and slowly wandered off. One of the most incredible animal encounters of my life.

291. Western Wood-Pewee
292. Barn Owl
293. Purple Martin
294. Blue Grosbeak
295. Western Tanager
296. Prairie Falcon (mobbing a Golden Eagle!)
297. Palm Warbler

Last edited:
Broke the 200 mark today with three new birds. All of them are residents of high-altitude boreal bogs that have a habitat that is almost the same as the boreal forests and bogs of northern Canada.

200. Veery
201. Canada Warbler
202. Alder Flycatcher

Dave

Yesterday I picked up five year birds for my Missouri 2015 list.
Golden-crowned Warbler
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Bobolink

It's now that time in the spring when I've seen most of the arriving migrants and residents, and new birds are getting harder to find. Only one new bird this morning.

203. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Dave

114. Lincoln’s sparrow (L Saline Wetland) IN LINCOLN!
115. Forster’s tern
116. Black tern
117. Canvasback
118. orchard oriole

Zwillbrocker Venn, NRW, Germany today

176 Tree Pipit
177 Mediterranean Gull
178 Lesser Whitethroat
179 Tundra Bean Goose
180 Chilean Flamingo
181 American Flamingo
182 Eurasian Golden Oriole

A great day out and 3 lifers

Life List now at 583
Germany List now at 202
European List now at 300

I had a nice Hobby harassing the life out of passing hirundines and Swifts at the back of the house this morning taking me up to 645 for the year.
Eur Turtle Dove, a NW mega, turned up at Leasowe so ........ it's 666 now.

These are established in.... Deutschland!?!

There's a feral population of Chilean, at least, in Germany.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back