• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2015 (1 Viewer)

Well, here we are again. Cold and windy outside, and the canal Badgers decided not to play at all tonight - at least, not while I was there. I might have guessed, because they are never very forthcoming when its windy.

However, I dropped some muesli by the path yesterday and doing the same thing today quickly produced a couple of Wood Mice happy to grab a (presumably second) free meal.

Their antics kept me entertained till almost 2000 hrs by which time I couldn't feel my fingers to operate camera and night scope any longer and gave up. Pix later.

Both last night and tonight there were Little and Tawny Owls calling at the site.

John

Pix: Wood Mouse X 3

Attachments

• 2015_01_28 (1)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    2015_01_28 (1)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    202 KB · Views: 135
  • 2015_01_28 (2)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    2015_01_28 (2)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2015_01_28 (3)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    2015_01_28 (3)_Wood_Mouse (800x533).jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
RFI Harbour Seal breeding colonies

Anyone recommend decent rookeries of Harbour Seal worth visiting, with advice on pupping month (June?)? Ta, James

One non-lingering Badger and one non-lingering Wood Mouse along the canal this evening: no pix!

Other mammals today: Rabbit, Grey Squirrel, Roe Deer, all at Moor Green Lakes where the drake Smew, drake Goldeneye and three Goosander (2 drakes) also entertained. Common Chiffchaff and Red Kite at Sandhurst Sewage Farm.

John

Their antics kept me entertained till almost 2000 hrs by which time I couldn't feel my fingers to operate camera and night scope any longer

Oo, I think that evening might have passed for tropical toasting out this way ... you might need to be investing in some mitts soon :t:

Other votes?

There are boat trips out to colonies in the Thames Estuary, and I remember seeing a load around the Cairns of Coll on a whale-watching trip out of Tobermory. Orkney might be a place to dig into, as well. The Orcas turn up there mid-summer and Common Seal pups swim immediately: there might be a connection?

However I don't think the species in general has really big rookeries in the way Grey Seals do.

Cheers

John

There are boat trips out to colonies in the Thames Estuary, and I remember seeing a load around the Cairns of Coll on a whale-watching trip out of Tobermory. Orkney might be a place to dig into, as well. The Orcas turn up there mid-summer and Common Seal pups swim immediately: there might be a connection?

However I don't think the species in general has really big rookeries in the way Grey Seals do.

Cheers

John

Yep, that was my feeling. It's harder to see Harbour Seal pups than Grey. Having recently left the SE, am gripped by the Thames Estuary colonies & boat trips, John. News to me! From where?

I had been wondering about Chanonry Point & environs for Harbour colony. Seen them there in spring, but unclear whether they breed.

cheers

James

Yep, that was my feeling. It's harder to see Harbour Seal pups than Grey. Having recently left the SE, am gripped by the Thames Estuary colonies & boat trips, John. News to me! From where?

I had been wondering about Chanonry Point & environs for Harbour colony. Seen them there in spring, but unclear whether they breed.

cheers

James

I'm not sure which port. Steve Davis did one of the trips, I'll ask him. Just occurred to me there's a Common Seal colony just next to Saltholme RSPB, on the upper part of the estuary. Presumably they pup at some point, and you can often see the rookery from the road bridge.

John

A wood mouse and a yellow necked mouse in the garage on Wednesday

Brown rat in Stoke while looking for Smew on Friday. But on Saturday the main target and a tough one considering the snow and wind conditions was mountain hare at Dovestones. But an hour in waist deep snow paid off and I found a nice hare which exploded from my feet and I had to track until I found it holed up.

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC9927.JPG
    _DSC9927.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 83
  • _DSC9930.JPG
    _DSC9930.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_2625.JPG
    DSC_2625.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_2639.JPG
    DSC_2639.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_2622.JPG
    DSC_2622.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 82
I spent Sunday in the Forest of Dean again, with only moderate success (i.e. less than last time. The highlight of the day was an hour-long battle of wits with a Wild Boar that was going about its business close to a track I was on. I managed to get up to about twenty yards from it, and it then became aware of me through thickish cover and advanced cautiously to check me out. We stalked each other for the next sixty minutes, by the end of which I had some poor record shots and it had enjoyed an encounter with Man without getting shot. I'd like to say it was even but I suspect the boar did better then me!

The only other decent mammals of the day were a couple of Fallow Deer that shot off giving me brief bins views as I was toiling up a steep hill. Hawfinches, Ravens and Crossbills made up the other interest of the day.

John

Seeing as I was struggling to photograph actual Wild Boars, I took the chance to take some pictures of related things. So here is a bit of a teach-in - apologies to readers for whom this is routine....

1. Typical Wild Boar habitat in the Forest of Dean. A forest ride with some evidence of snouting in the rough grass. Rushes in the area were flattened (they're quite difficult to squash so that they don't spring up again, but boars manage it.) Under the young conifers boars find sheltered, dry, comfy pine needles to relax on: most people wander past without ever knowing they are close.

2. Boar droppings (1) Sometimes they do come out and remain clumped together like this. Interestingly these are brownish - blackish is more frequent. There's a slight glisten to them that suggests they are fairly recent - in fact a fly flew off them, another indicator.

3. Boar droppings (2) These are more typical. Separate blackish discs, bulged on one side like macaroons.

4. Boar track. Bic biro (6" long) for size comparison. Not sure if the mark behind the two toes is a dew claw or a small boar going the other way.

5. Wild Boar being difficult. In fact there are two, in the shadows back and left of the main subject of the pic is another one. The pic is taken with the first outing of my new 100mm f2.8 and only cropped a bit: the boars are only about five to ten yards away.

John

Attachments

• 2015_02_01 (2)_Forest_of_Dean (800x533).jpg
    2015_02_01 (2)_Forest_of_Dean (800x533).jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2015_02_01 (3)_Boar_Droppings (800x533).jpg
    2015_02_01 (3)_Boar_Droppings (800x533).jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 2015_02_01 (4)_Boar_Droppings (800x533).jpg
    2015_02_01 (4)_Boar_Droppings (800x533).jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 2015_02_01 (5)_Boar_Track (800x533).jpg
    2015_02_01 (5)_Boar_Track (800x533).jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 2015_02_01 (6)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    2015_02_01 (6)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 100
I spent last week trying to trap some small mammals, the reason Stephanie and Tim from Belgium were in the UK mammal watching and I hoped to get them a few additional species. However this would be quite difficult due to the very cold weather. So the first few days I trapped in barns on a local farm, the horse stables and in my garage which I had caught yellow necked and wood mice the previous week. But results were quite poor a wood mouse who escaped, but by Thursday when Stephanie had phoned I had caught a harvest mouse in the barn. This was a good enough draw for them to visit, but I wanted to get them something extra so trapping at my work would be needed a site that holds 8 small mammal species but in temperatures around freezing or below some ingenuity would be required.

So I modified my traps encasing them in bubblewrap leaving a pocked in the bublewrap under the nest chamber of the trap, here I would place a disposable heat pad (I have a box of them) to keep it warm, I added an immense amount of food to each trap and I set these where I caught plenty of small mammals during the autumn.

With my heated traps in place I headed home. I was on site early Saturday because I was nervous of the very cold conditions overnight. I only had three captures but all were alive and well and I was pleased to show field vole, water shrew in addition to the Harvest mouse to Stephanie and Tim who showed their appreciation with a box of chocolates - many thanks.

I only took a few pics below but Tim must have worn his camera out.

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC0001.JPG
    _DSC0001.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 87
  • _DSC9998.JPG
    _DSC9998.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 95
  • _DSC9978.JPG
    _DSC9978.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 97
I spent last week trying to trap some small mammals, the reason Stephanie and Tim from Belgium were in the UK mammal watching and I hoped to get them a few additional species. However this would be quite difficult due to the very cold weather. So the first few days I trapped in barns on a local farm, the horse stables and in my garage which I had caught yellow necked and wood mice the previous week. But results were quite poor a wood mouse who escaped, but by Thursday when Stephanie had phoned I had caught a harvest mouse in the barn. This was a good enough draw for them to visit, but I wanted to get them something extra so trapping at my work would be needed a site that holds 8 small mammal species but in temperatures around freezing or below some ingenuity would be required.

So I modified my traps encasing them in bubblewrap leaving a pocked in the bublewrap under the nest chamber of the trap, here I would place a disposable heat pad (I have a box of them) to keep it warm, I added an immense amount of food to each trap and I set these where I caught plenty of small mammals during the autumn.

With my heated traps in place I headed home. I was on site early Saturday because I was nervous of the very cold conditions overnight. I only had three captures but all were alive and well and I was pleased to show field vole, water shrew in addition to the Harvest mouse to Stephanie and Tim who showed their appreciation with a box of chocolates - many thanks.

I only took a few pics below but Tim must have worn his camera out.

Mark

Tremendous ingenuity! Well done. I shall look out for Stephanie and Tim's report with interest: I may well be asking for help from them in the spring.

John

Think I might have to keep a mammal list this year. On 5 so far, so don't think I'm ever going to be a contender really ;) , but interesting reading/seeing how others with a little more commitment are doing.

Good stuff.

Think I might have to keep a mammal list this year. On 5 so far, so don't think I'm ever going to be a contender really ;) , but interesting reading/seeing how others with a little more commitment are doing.

Good stuff.

Nice one, I am sure we will all help with questions etc. you may have

Mark

Good stuff.

You're in a good place to pick up some cetaceans, anyway. And its not far to go and get that pesky shrew!

John

In north Herts on Sunday these Fallow Deer were nice to see.

By the way, we recently enjoyed a birding trip to Morocco including a long, long drive down to the Aoussard Road. As it was our first trip we concentrated on birds, and mammals were very limited - just Fat Sand Rat and African Savannah Hare. We did enjoy reading Mark's report and wondering about going back on a mammal trip one day (not under estimating the technical demands of such a trip) - well perhaps if you could fly all the way down on Easyjet!

Phil

Attachments

• Fallow Deeremail.JPG
    Fallow Deeremail.JPG
    564 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back