• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI for some slam-dunk birding (1 Viewer)

Barr Tender

World: 730 ABA: 603 Latest Lifer: Saw-whet Owl
United States
Hi folks,

So we're taking a not-necessarily-a-birding trip to visit relatives near Melbourne, FL next week. Naturally, I ain't goin' to Florida without at least chasing a few birds.

That said, we're flying into Ft. Lauderdale, and have a day or two to burn. We hope to bag the Limpkin and the Snail Kite. Ebird shows a string of locations all along Hwy 41, but I'm hoping for advice as to a good spot for either or both birds, so we don't just drive up and down the highway and roll the dice. Also, Limpkin shows recently reported at Plantation Preserve, near Lauderdale. Anyone know much about that place?

Also, anyone know where we might catch an Ani, of either bill?

Thanks in advance.

ps- Oh yeah, and we need the Scrub-jay.

Are you looking for Melbourne area birding or Ft. Lauderdale? I was born and raised just outside of Melbourne, so I can give some assistance there, but I won't be much help in the Lauderdale area.

Scrub-jays are really pretty easy to pick up at Merritt Island NWR, but that is another hour north of Melbourne, depending on where you are staying. Closer to Melbourne is the Cruickshank Sanctuary in Rockledge, which is less than half an hour. They used to be pretty easy to get there, but it has been awhile since I've been, but eBird still show lots of sightings.

Limpkins should be pretty easy to get. While I haven't been there, the Linera Trail at Plantation Preserve looks like a pretty good bet. The South Florida Audubon Society does regular walks there, so you might contact them. You could also head to Pembroke Pines, either the library or Silver Lakes, and pick up the Purple Swamphen with the Limpkin.

We're mostly going to be spending time in Melbourne visiting non-birders, and will have a couple of days up front to bird on our own. As we're flying into Lauderdale, we thought we'd try for the kite on hwy 41, and the red-crowned parrots in town.

Once we're up in Melbourne (Palm Bay, actually), I'll have to finagle to get birding time in, though Merritt is one I'd planned on, for the jay. I'd forgotten about the Swamphen-- we need that as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm especially glad to hear the Limpkin might be easy, as we tried and failed on a previous trip to the west coast.

- dc

If you are staying near Ft Lauderdale initially, then it is not too far down to Tamiami Trail across the N Everglades, with Corkscrew swamp etc in easy reach. Those places are some slam dunk birding places in their own right.

Re parrots, remember that many species have been released in S Florida, you want to confirm the species you are looking at, not just say "this is the species I have heard about".

Niels

June is never an easy month to go birding in southern Florida. However, Limpkin is quite reliable at Green Cay or Wakodahatchee Wetlands. Often, you see them along canals or ponds between the two sites. These two places also have lots of other wetland specialties, including Purple Swamphen, Purple Gallinule, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Wood Stork, and others. They are easy to cover quickly. Wonderful places. Limpkin is also reliable at Viera Wetlands near Rockledge.

Red-crowned Parrot isn't 'countable' in Florida nor do they have much of a population. White-winged and Monk Parakeets are the two countable parrots in southeastern Florida, along with 'uncountable' but large populations of Yellow-chevroned, Mitred, White-eyed, Blue-crowned, and Red-masked Parakeets as well as Orange-winged Parrot. They all have distinct mini-ranges throughout the metropolitan areas. Egyptian Goose, Red-whiskered Bulbul, Spot-breasted Oriole, and Common Myna are the other countable exotics.

Snail Kite is tricky this time of year -- their occurrence all depends on varying water levels. It is the wet season now, so places where they occurred in May may not be so good for them in late June. Look for recent sightings via eBird to pinpoint a spot.

Hope this helps,

We're doing well down here on our non-birding trip! Lifers so far, amongst family visits, include Snail Kite, Red-whiskered Bulbul, Limpkin, Smooth-billed Ani, Purple Swamphen, and Least Bittern. We've also seen 14 species of brand new bouncin' babies, many of them waders. Tomorrow we're shooting for the Scrub Jay and the Monk Parakeet.

So-- renewed request for info: when we return to the Ft Lauderdale airport from the Melbourne/Palm Bay area, we'd like to make a quick roll of the dice for SPOT-BREASTED ORIOLE. Ebird has tons of old hotspots, and one or two recent sightings of a single bird, etc.

Does anyone know of a good spot where we'd be likely to bag this, our last needed North American Oriole?

Any suggestions appreciated-- thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back