• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First day out...SV 8.5X42 Field Pro.... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Greeting....
I'm not much for re-badging things. I appreciate substantial improvements when new models come out. When Swarovski came out with the new "Field Pro" packaging of their acclaimed EL Swarovision binocular....i just shook my head....another way to get $300 out of the consumer for ...well...NOTHING.

With the coming out of the Field Pro many, including myself have noticed a pretty good "sale" of the previous EL Swarovision product...10-15% off and sometimes more. This "sale" and recent waterfowl birding trips lead me to believe I "needed" a 12X binocular. Well...I found the best "deal" I could find and after much deliberation ORDERED a pre-Field Pro SV 12X50. The dealer called me that same day to say they were out of the binocular but felt bad since it was still listed as "in-stock" in their website. BUT they DID have the new Field-Pro SV 12X50 in stock and we made peace with a little reduction in it's price! WIN-WIN!

Too late to say "long story, short" BUT....I REALLY like the Field Pro packaging. So much so that I sold a few things around the house and came up with the cash for the binocular I've ALWAYS wanted and always talked myself out of...a SV 8.5X42. So Monday it ARRIVED!

So today was my first chance out with it. I loaded up a few other 8X binoculars and headed out. Windy, cold, blustery, overcast, and cloudy were the order of the day. Songbirds, not so much but a good bit of waterfowl, so that's what I concentrated on....

So to the binoculars.....
I bought the Swarovision EL 8.5X42 #34210 made in 2015. I have to say I REALLY like the new FieldPro model. The binocular case is the size it should have been all along. I've always said that the case was so big to start with so your strap...even a harness could fit into the case. Now with the new strap...most of the strap bulk is GONE. Strap adjustment is really TOO SIMPLE. Adjusting the strap takes at most 15 seconds from maximum to minimum length. I need to take pictures of this...unbelievable. I mean...isn't initial strap installation and adjustment the biggest chore of purchasing a new pair of binoculars? NO MORE!

And from strap to harness takes LESS than 2 minutes....(please excuse the pathetic iPhone pics...didn't know they were THAT bad). Basically push and turn the button on each side of the binocular, remove strap, and install harness in similar fashion.

Attachments

• IMG_25481.JPG
    IMG_25481.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_25491.JPG
    IMG_25491.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 443
The new EL 8.5X42 FieldPro binocular has several other differences. For one, the ocular covers are clipped TO each barrel instead of the more traditional strapped around each barrel. The color has changed....different texture...focus knob now black as well...all plainly obvious next to my 2014 10X42 SV on the left:

Attachments

• DSC_0471.JPG
    DSC_0471.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC_0474.JPG
    DSC_0474.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 510
  • DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 386
The new EL 8.5X42 FieldPro binocular has several other differences. For one, the ocular covers are clipped TO each barrel instead of the more traditional strapped around each barrel. The color has changed....different texture...focus knob now black as well...all plainly obvious next to my 2014 10X42 SV on the left:
The FieldPro does look a little slicker and more like one piece. I like the objective covers built in like that. I would imagine the strap works good also. I like the fact that the cord widens into a comfortable neck pad. Very ingenius. How do you like the optics on the SV? Do you have any other alpha's to compare it with? Like a Zeiss SF or HT?

Weight is 29.5 ounces. Observations.... Everything functions perfectly right out of the box. No searching for perfect focus, it's immediate. Even after one day I believe I can say without any reservations...this is one of, if not THE most user-friendly binocular I've used with eyeglasses...at least for ME. Not much searching for the perfect "spot." If you wear glasses, you know what I mean.

Going back and forth between two 8X42s I have, UV HD + and SF I can tell that the SV has THE flattest field...to the edge if that's your thing. Of course the image from either of the three is certainly nothing less than first rate. This is not a comparison post...BUT it IS easily to see why someone would so enjoy the UV HD +..... that Leica is one handy binocular.

So the question....which of THESE THREE makes it to Magee Marsh?

I'll try to TAKE and POST a couple more pictures tomorrow.....

Weight is 29.5 ounces. Observations.... Everything functions perfectly right out of the box. No searching for perfect focus, it's immediate. Even after one day I believe I can say without any reservations...this is one of, if not THE most user-friendly binocular I've used with eyeglasses...at least for ME. Not much searching for the perfect "spot." If you wear glasses, you know what I mean.

Going back and forth between two 8X42s I have, UV HD + and SF I can tell that the SV has THE flattest field...to the edge if that's your thing. Of course the image from either of the three is certainly nothing less than first rate. This is not a comparison post...BUT it IS easily to see why someone would so enjoy the UV HD +..... that Leica is one handy binocular.

So the question....which of THESE THREE makes it to Magee Marsh?

I'll try to TAKE and POST a couple more pictures tomorrow.....
Those are all superb binoculars. It is just a matter of personal choice which one you prefer. Between me and you though if buy a Swarovski SV, Zeiss SF or HT, or a Leica Ultravid HD plus you can't go wrong if you can afford them. You avoid a lot of frustration by staying away from the Sightron Blue Sky's.

Those are all superb binoculars. It is just a matter of personal choice which one you prefer. Between me and you though if buy a Swarovski SV, Zeiss SF or HT, or a Leica Ultravid HD plus you can't go wrong if you can afford them. You avoid a lot of frustration by staying away from the Sightron Blue Sky's.

Sightrons Blue Sky 8x32 is a punchy little bag of delight. There is absolutely nothing frustrating about using a pair. Every person who has so far looked through mine, has loved the bright, super contrasty and wonderfully sharp image.

Image to money ratio is stratospheric.

Did you notice different coatings on this new field pro ?

A couple of weeks ago i was checking the 8x32 SV field pro and it looks like the coatings are a little be different with less reflections ant least less green reflections.

For SURE the interior was much more darker than my SV10X42 who has a grey gloss paint inside.

The view was amazing with those 8x32 SV without the white view reported by some users, amazing sharp and contrasty with nice neutral colors a little bit more saturated than the view thru a 8X42 HT.

All the SV shows realistic colors with a little punch on it.

My 8.5 SV turns five this week. It’s seen more use than any other bino I own and it remains as solid as day one. It fits me like a glove and the view still makes me smile, like when I look out over the ocean, and every little wavelet is sharp as a tack, from edge to edge, and a Finback spouts or a squadron of Pelicans glides past. I’ve been known to giggle with delight, but, ahem, that stays HERE.

Interestingly, my 2012 8x32 SV already had the new armor. As you can see from Chuck’s photos, the new armor is less shiny. It’s also a little bluer (or less yellowy) and feels somewhat softer. Why Swaro waited till the Field Pro to make the change across the board, and turn it into a new “feature,” I don’t know. I like the new armor better though.

Enjoy the 8.5, Chuck. It’s as good as it gets.

Mark

According to Swarovski the FP and SV are optically identical. Has anyone done a side by side between the two in the exact same configuration ?

A couple of weeks ago i was checking the 8x32 SV field pro and it looks like the coatings are a little be different with less reflections ant least less green reflections.

For SURE the interior was much more darker than my SV10X42 who has a grey gloss paint inside.

The view was amazing with those 8x32 SV without the white view reported by some users, amazing sharp and contrasty with nice neutral colors a little bit more saturated than the view thru a 8X42 HT.

Last edited:
They are the finest optic I've looked through up to this point.

My 8.5 SV turns five this week. It’s seen more use than any other bino I own and it remains as solid as day one. It fits me like a glove and the view still makes me smile, like when I look out over the ocean, and every little wavelet is sharp as a tack, from edge to edge, and a Finback spouts or a squadron of Pelicans glides past. I’ve been known to giggle with delight, but, ahem, that stays HERE.

Interestingly, my 2012 8x32 SV already had the new armor. As you can see from Chuck’s photos, the new armor is less shiny. It’s also a little bluer (or less yellowy) and feels somewhat softer. Why Swaro waited till the Field Pro to make the change across the board, and turn it into a new “feature,” I don’t know. I like the new armor better though.

Mark

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the most significant practical difference of the Field Pro version of the Swarovski EL SV is the design of the strap attachment. Question: does the new strap attachment allow unlimited (360 degree plus) rotation of the strap where it connects to the bin? If so, it will allow for nightmarish strap twisting (like the Pentax Papilio strap attachment). I hope my guess is wrong and that it has a positive stop.

--AP

Sightrons Blue Sky 8x32 is a punchy little bag of delight. There is absolutely nothing frustrating about using a pair. Every person who has so far looked through mine, has loved the bright, super contrasty and wonderfully sharp image.

Image to money ratio is stratospheric.
In my opinon I wasn't that impressed with the Sightron Blue Sky. I had trouble with the focus and I didn't think the optics were that great. Have you compared it to alpha roofs. Maybe compared to a Tasco or low end Bushnell the Sightron is an improvement but it doesn't come close to an alpha roof. I have tried all of Frank's "Blue Light Special's" and have not kept any of them for longer than a week but I am used to alpha level binoculars. My point is if you can afford an alpha don't waste your time with a Sightron.

Chuck ... That is a nice addition to your collection! I had not noticed the difference in the color of the focus knob. That is one more easy way to tell them apart from the prior version. Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you notice any rolling ball in this new production 8.5X? It was very obvious to me in the earlier production but I have not looked at a newer model yet. I do not detect any in the 10X42 or the 12X50 but do see the beginnings of it in the 10X50.

Off topic reply to Dennis:

I agree that the Sightron is not a match for a Swaro EL SV, but I thought your main issue with the Sightron was a stiff focus in cold weather, a valid concern during a Colorado winter. However, based on your original review, 90% as good as top alphas does not seem as bad as your current assessment indicates.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=220414&

"Comparing them to my two other alphas I found they are about 90% as good optically"

I grew frustrated after trying all of Frank's "Bargain Basement Optical Wonders". Even at 90% as good optically I can afford an alpha so frankly I don't see the point messing around with them anymore. Why would you buy a Sightron if you can afford an SV or SF or HT? Why? I want 100% and that is what I got.:t:

I grew frustrated after trying all of Frank's "Bargain Basement Optical Wonders". Even at 90% as good optically I can afford an alpha so frankly I don't see the point messing around with them anymore. Why would you buy a Sightron if you can afford an SV or SF or HT? Why? I want 100% and that is what I got.:t:
Dennis, on this one I'm going to have to say you're absolutely full of ..it. There are many things I can afford but choose not to buy. For example, I could buy a really, really, absolutely terrific top-of-the-wazza sports car, none better. Without going into debt. By selling my house. I could, but I choose not to. The back seat of that car (if it even has one!) doesn't seem especially attractive for sleeping or cooking or inviting friends around.

Coming back down closer to earth and, more importantly, closer to topic, I can afford an "alpha" binocular. And have, just recently. However, I was not prepared to buy and sell (at considerable loss) multiple sets of "alphas" until I found one which suited me. Instead I explored various things at a much lower price-point until I figured out what did and did not work, for me. Exploring (a) what suits me best; (b) just how much better that kind of "alpha" might be than lower-priced options; and (c) whether I was prepared to pay the difference in pricing for the levels of optical and ergonomic improvement on offer.

My end result was buying something most would rate as an "alpha" binocular and which certainly cost "alpha" pricing (and which is the most boring binocular I own: what do you say about something with no major flaws and very few minor ones?). Equally, though, I might not have.

I don't think you get to decide whether I made the right or wrong decision, nor do you get to decide that I really was wrong just because I didn't buy a 10x50 SV. Yet you seem hell-bent, in many of these threads, on saying that anyone who didn't make your decision made the wrong decision. That gets tiresome.

...Mike

Last edited:
Question: does the new strap attachment allow unlimited (360 degree plus) rotation of the strap where it connects to the bin? If so, it will allow for nightmarish strap twisting (like the Pentax Papilio strap attachment). I hope my guess is wrong and that it has a positive stop.

--AP

I've had the Field Pro 10x42 EL Range since last August and it's had a lot of use. The strap can rotate 360 degrees but I have yet to twist it in any way, shape or form. Don't think you would be able to either.

The EL Range padded neck portion has a little pocket at each end for putting spare batteries in for the rangefinder. I use the pockets for tucking away the ends of the excessively long cord (strap).

The new focus knob covering seems to be made of rubber rather than the plastic of the previous model - certainly softer. The new way of attaching the objective covers is way better than previously.

I have a 2012 SV 8X32, 2014 10X42 SV, and 2015 8.5X42/8X32 SV. To my eyes the coatings look identical on all. I will say the interiors of the 32mm vs 42mm...the 32mm look less glossy.

Mark

Yeah! Both of of 32s have the "new" armoring style/color. A little lighter(in color) and less grainy.

And I DO believe you're right!

Chuck ... That is a nice addition to your collection! I had not noticed the difference in the color of the focus knob. That is one more easy way to tell them apart from the prior version. Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you notice any rolling ball in this new production 8.5X? It was very obvious to me in the earlier production but I have not looked at a newer model yet. I do not detect any in the 10X42 or the 12X50 but do see the beginnings of it in the 10X50.

Hey Bruce.. I'm one of those guys that doesn't notice "rolling ball." I don't go looking for it but I've ever seen it in any binocular.

I've had the Field Pro 10x42 EL Range since last August and it's had a lot of use. The strap can rotate 360 degrees but I have yet to twist it in any way, shape or form. Don't think you would be able to either.

The EL Range padded neck portion has a little pocket at each end for putting spare batteries in for the rangefinder. I use the pockets for tucking away the ends of the excessively long cord (strap).

The new focus knob covering seems to be made of rubber rather than the plastic of the previous model - certainly softer. The new way of attaching the objective covers is way better than previously.

I completely agree with this. I've had the FP 12X50 before this FP and really see no way it could ever been an issue. WAY better and more convenient in just about every way...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back