• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

xeno-canto grinds to halt (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

I'm a frequent user of xeno-canto but have never tried to work through the large number of recordings for common European species. I've just tried European Robin and Common Chaffinch and all functionality, eg maps, searches, susp links all seem to die. Anyone else have the same problem? It's only with species with 1000+ recordings or so.

cheers, alan

I just tried searching on European Robin and had no problems. It seemed to be working normally for me e.g. could access recordings, search on subspecies, use map etc.

I often have issues too FWIW

The Icon to the left which is / was, the play icon, now seems to not work at all for me?

A

hmmm, just tried with work laptop, much faster than home pc, but still very tough to find the right recording; eg the recording of European Robin from Gran canaria. I do think there must be a problem with the design of the site -and its viability without a reworking - if it takes that much 'processor power'.

cheers, alan

There's an advanced search feature that allows you to restrict to country, and finding European Robin recordings from Spain is no problem.(but still gives a number of pages to look through). In the advanced search you can also enter a more precise location (but you have to pick one from the drop-down menue, it seems).

I have no problems using the map and playing recordings from there, all in good time.

Could it be a browser problem?

Andrea

There's an advanced search feature that allows you to restrict to country, and finding European Robin recordings from Spain is no problem.(but still gives a number of pages to look through). In the advanced search you can also enter a more precise location (but you have to pick one from the drop-down menue, it seems).

I have no problems using the map and playing recordings from there, all in good time.

Could it be a browser problem?

Andrea

thanks, but same in Chrome and WE. I use the site every week for obscure species with no problems, the problem is only this week with single common species with huge recording totals. Your tip with advanced search works great though - cutting down number o found items is the key..

cheers, alan

Last edited:
Works as normal for me on my tablet... takes a few seconds to load the points on the map, but otherwise seems fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back