• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid bn 8x32, are they still worthy? (1 Viewer)

Got it. It seems like I'm out numbered though. Interesting thread though. It is something we have all thought about. Should I get a newer binocular or an older alpha. What is interesting is how much Dielectric Prism Coatings and HD and Schott glass have been espoused in other threads as being big improvements in modern binoculars but magically they are not needed on the BN.;)

Last edited:
Got it. It seems like I'm out numbered though. Interesting thread though. It is something we have all thought about. Should I get a newer binocular or an older alpha. What is interesting is how much Dielectric Prism Coatings and HD and Schott glass have been espoused in other threads as being big improvements in modern binoculars but magically they are not needed on the BN.;)

Dennis,

Just to continue the conversation a little longer about the BN which is not by any means magic; the BNs did not need Dielectric coatings because AFAIK they did not exist when the BNs were introduced.

And you do know that Silver Coated Prisms can be very bright, don't you?

If you go to Allbinos rankings of the 8x32 binoculars you will find that the Nikon 8x32 EDG II, which was introduced in 2010, is ranked first and its predecessor the Nikon HG L 8x32 DCF which was introduced in 2004, is ranked 5th. Yet the Silver Coated HGLs Transmission value is higher than the Dielectric coated EDGs Transmission value.

We know that the EDG had new Dielectric Prisms because it was stated so when they were introduced while the old HG Ls had Silver Coated Prisms. (You can still find this info in Nikon's archived binoculars.) The EDG's Transmission value is 90 and the HGLs transmission value is 95. The 8x42 HGL also fared well with a rating of 90.

Bob

Last edited:
For someone who is 5ft with small hands I caution you to measure your IPD or try them in person before ordering the 8x32 Trinovid. The 58mm minimum IPD on this model excludes many potential owners. They are too wide for my face and I am of otherwise average proportions.

The binocular in question in this thread (Leica 8x32 Trinovid BN) has a minimum IPD of 56 mm. The 58 mm spec applies to the latest Leica 8x32 bearing the Trinovid name, which is a very different design.

For what it's worth, as an owner of a good number of top-end bins, and as a person who (like Dennis) appreciates the improvements in optics since the glory days of the 8x32 BN, I'll just say that it is still one of my favorite bins and I don't find the view lacking in contrast or "snap". The only compromises are slightly lower brightness, higher CA, and slightly less perfect color neutrality. Eye relief is on the short side for glasses wearers. If those aren't concerns, this is an enduring classic that is quite satisfying, even against the latest and greatest.

My new favorite small binocular, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket, has a view almost identical to the Leica 8x32 BN but exhibits the improvements expected in a current top-end bin. It sells for around $700 US on sale.

--AP

Last edited:
I'm loving this banter back and forth. It is helping me make a much more informed decision, I could not have made before the debate. For one thing, I've learned that even though I have little experience with binoculars I am still capable of making a reasonable judgement and don't have to literally buy into the marketing hype.

Thank you for the clarity!... was that a pun?

I hate it when someone is giving a review of an optic and says, it is "so clear"! For me, that's my cue to tune out and dismiss whatever else the person said.

You said in the Dielectric prism thread that you noticed that your Nikon EDG with dielectric prisms was much brighter than your older silver coated Nikon 10x32 LX-L. They must make some difference.

"Everything else being equal get the one with the dielectric prisms. They really do make a difference in brightness. I can attest to that. I have the new Nikon 10 x 32 EDG with dielectric prisms and it is much brighter than my older silver coated prism Nikon 10 x 32 LX L which it replaced. You can readily tell the difference in twilight conditions and these binoculars have a small exit pupil compared to the ones you are inquiring about."

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=187325

You said in the Dielectric prism thread that you noticed that your Nikon EDG with dielectric prisms was much brighter than your older silver coated Nikon 10x32 LX-L. They must make some difference.

"Everything else being equal get the one with the dielectric prisms. They really do make a difference in brightness. I can attest to that. I have the new Nikon 10 x 32 EDG with dielectric prisms and it is much brighter than my older silver coated prism Nikon 10 x 32 LX L which it replaced. You can readily tell the difference in twilight conditions and these binoculars have a small exit pupil compared to the ones you are inquiring about."

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=187325

You should know by now, brightness is not everything.

Sometimes it washes things out.

Jerry

I'm loving this banter back and forth. It is helping me make a much more informed decision, I could not have made before the debate. For one thing, I've learned that even though I have little experience with binoculars I am still capable of making a reasonable judgement and don't have to literally buy into the marketing hype.

Thank you for the clarity!... was that a pun?

I hate it when someone is giving a review of an optic and says, it is "so clear"! For me, that's my cue to tune out and dismiss whatever else the person said.

You've noted that you've been using the BNs for the past 3 weeks.
May we take that as an indication that you've made a decision?

Please follow up with a user report, you've been exposed to more than the usual amount of pro and con, what turned out to be wheat and what was chaff from your perspective.

You should know by now, brightness is not everything.

Sometimes it washes things out.

Jerry
I like a combination of brightness and contrast. Your right though brightness without good contrast tends to wash things out. Contrast is where the best modern binoculars really excel and it really creates a gorgeous view.

The binocular in question in this thread (Leica 8x32 Trinovid BN) has a minimum IPD of 56 mm. The 58 mm spec applies to the latest Leica 8x32 bearing the Trinovid name, which is a very different design.

For what it's worth, as an owner of a good number of top-end bins, and as a person who (like Dennis) appreciates the improvements in optics since the glory days of the 8x32 BN, I'll just say that it is still one of my favorite bins and I don't find the view lacking in contrast or "snap". The only compromises are slightly lower brightness, higher CA, and slightly less perfect color neutrality. Eye relief is on the short side for glasses wearers. If those aren't concerns, this is an enduring classic that is quite satisfying, even against the latest and greatest.

My new favorite small binocular, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket, has a view almost identical to the Leica 8x32 BN but exhibits the improvements expected in a current top-end bin. It sells for around $700 US on sale.

--AP
"The only compromises are slightly lower brightness, higher CA, and slightly less perfect color neutrality."

Your right on on the BN. Leica's tend towards saturated colors and a lot of people like that. I did. They present a beautiful view especially if you like a lot of color. They make you feel almost warm and fuzzy.

You've noted that you've been using the BNs for the past 3 weeks.
May we take that as an indication that you've made a decision?

Please follow up with a user report, you've been exposed to more than the usual amount of pro and con, what turned out to be wheat and what was chaff from your perspective.

Well, full disclosure… I’m a Leica guy. In 1983, my Dad bought a 1957 "Double Stroke" Leica M3 rangefinder and I was hooked. The quality of that camera blew me away. Four years later, when I was in college studying photography, the class had access to Leica lenses, but no cameras. That glass became mine for the length of the course! Over the years I've used a lot of camera gear. From Leica M to Leica R, Canon (20 years), Nikon (10 years), Mamiya, Hasselblad/Zeiss, Contax/Zeiss, Sinar/Schneider, etc.,etc.,etc.. Consequently, I like glass from camera manufactures.

I also own a few rifles scopes. Two of my scopes come from Nikon and one from Leica. The only gun optic I have that isn't from a camera company is a Meopta MeoSight III, 1x red dot. Interestingly, the scope I think I'm most impressed by is the nikon M-223 1.5-6x24 Illuminated BDC 600. The scope that has my heart, is the Leica ER 3.5-14x42.

So... I'm biased, I admit it.

Just to recap, while the BN has been in my possession, I have simultaneously had the luxury of using several high end binos. My fabulous friend (who is the industrial sales manager at the largest camera chain in western Canada) loaned me a Swarovski 8.5x42 SV, a Swaro 10x30 CL Companion and a Leica Sliverline 10x42. To my eyes the CLs (I looked two different pairs) have faired the least well against the Leica BN. They had slightly less visible chromatic aberration, but were no better anywhere else. In fact, when it came to flare and brightness, I scored the older Leica BN ahead. The SV and Silverline bins are better in every way, except for size and weight. I can buy the SVs for $2700.00 CDN, the Silverlines for $1350.00 CDN and the BNs for $900.00. I was expecting, maybe even hoping, that you guys would shoot down the BNs and admonish me for even entertaining the idea of buying a 10 year old binocular! Much to my surprise, the majority of you have been supportive of the BN purchase, and I can't dismiss that. To my discerning, well tuned eyes, the Silverline bins are probably worth the $450.00 premium, but I don't want silver tubes.
The Swaro SV are the best... period. Are they $1800.00 better? Not to my eyes.

I'm going with the BNs!

Now... In about a month or so, the Nikon rep will be letting me sample versions of Nikon’s HG 8x42 and HG 8x32. I can't wait!

Last edited:
c I have that isn't from a camera company is a Meopta MeoSight III, 1x red dot. ...
I'm going with the BNs!

Hello Yuk,

Actually Meopta produced a passable imitation of the Rolleicord. Comecon later dictated that the DDR would produce cameras but Czechoslovakia could produce enlargers.

Please, do not fall prey to the disease of accumulating binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Meopta made the very nice Mikroma and also the Stereo Mikroma sub miniature cameras.

The British Royal family were noted users of the Leica M3, and were good photographers.
Leica had to keep several brand new M3s in stock to repair the Royal's cameras long after they would normally keep spares.
The same, I think, happened to Bell and Howell for movie cameras.

I suppose that Swarovski will have to do the same with binoculars, as lately they seem to have the Royal warrant.
Previously I tended to see Zeiss binoculars being used.

Well, full disclosure… I’m a Leica guy. In 1983, my Dad bought a 1957 "Double Stroke" Leica M3 rangefinder and I was hooked. The quality of that camera blew me away. Four years later, when I was in college studying photography, the class had access to Leica lenses, but no cameras. That glass became mine for the length of the course! Over the years I've used a lot of camera gear. From Leica M to Leica R, Canon (20 years), Nikon (10 years), Mamiya, Hasselblad/Zeiss, Contax/Zeiss, Sinar/Schneider, etc.,etc.,etc.. Consequently, I like glass from camera manufactures.

I also own a few rifles scopes. Two of my scopes come from Nikon and one from Leica. The only gun optic I have that isn't from a camera company is a Meopta MeoSight III, 1x red dot. Interestingly, the scope I think I'm most impressed by is the nikon M-223 1.5-6x24 Illuminated BDC 600. The scope that has my heart, is the Leica ER 3.5-14x42.

So... I'm biased, I admit it.

Just to recap, while the BN has been in my possession, I have simultaneously had the luxury of using several high end binos. My fabulous friend (who is the industrial sales manager at the largest camera chain in western Canada) loaned me a Swarovski 8.5x42 SV, a Swaro 10x30 CL Companion and a Leica Sliverline 10x42. To my eyes the CLs (I looked two different pairs) have faired the least well against the Leica BN. They had slightly less visible chromatic aberration, but were no better anywhere else. In fact, when it came to flare and brightness, I scored the older Leica BN ahead. The SV and Silverline bins are better in every way, except for size and weight. I can buy the SVs for $2700.00 CDN, the Silverlines for $1350.00 CDN and the BNs for $900.00. I was expecting, maybe even hoping, that you guys would shoot down the BNs and admonish me for even entertaining the idea of buying a 10 year old binocular! Much to my surprise, the majority of you have been supportive of the BN purchase, and I can't dismiss that. To my discerning, well tuned eyes, the Silverline bins are probably worth the $450.00 premium, but I don't want silver tubes.
The Swaro SV are the best... period. Are they $1800.00 better? Not to my eyes.

I'm going with the BNs!

Now... In about a month or so, the Nikon rep will be letting me sample versions of Nikon’s HG 8x42 and HG 8x32. I can't wait!

Yuk,

If you don't want the Silverlines only because you don't like their silver tubes then get the "Blackline" version. It costs the same and has exactly the same interior optics that the Silverlines have. I have one and IMO its looks are much more "classy" than the Silverlines.

Bob

Last edited:
In some ways comparing an 8x32 BN to a current Asian bin is a little like comparing an air cooled 911 Porsche to a current Honda or Subaru. On paper, these cars have better numbers and will probably beat the Porsche on the racetrack.

But which is the more gratifying experience? And, that Porsche can still get with the program!

Some things have a tangible / intrinsic feeling of quality and design. Some are the flavor du jour.

In the time frame that a certain person on these forums has had dozens, if not hundreds, of binoculars and declared most of them the last word on optics, I've had Leica 8x32 BNs and have been perfectly content.

We've suffered while reading how the latest thing just "blows away" the last greatest thing and that we shouldn't trust our own lying eyes.

Discussions of ergonomics, focusing, eye relief issues, ease of view are often ignored or relegated to the back seat when brightness and flat field and field of view and a few others are brought up. Clearly, not everyone is as impressed by absolute brightness or flatness of field as others or require a birding bin to be everything at once. Some look down the middle, enjoy a near perfect, effortless view, and are happy.

You have much more self control than I do. You actually looked through a Swarovski 8.5x42 SV and didn't buy it! Wow! You must be immune to the "Binomaniac Virus." Did you get vaccinated?

Last edited:
... ll Clearly, not everyone is as impressed by absolute brightness or flatness of field as others or require a birding bin to be everything at once. Some look down the middle, enjoy a near perfect, effortless view, and are happy.

"I represent that remark"-Pogo.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back