• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bag recommends for the FZ20 Please! (1 Viewer)

James_Death

Hi All as the title im after a decent bag for my FZ20, and this seams the best place to ask shame it never occured to me sooner..Doh...
What do my fellow FZ users use and or recommend.
The thing to remember is i will be getting the tcon17 so either a bag that will accomadate the lens on (prefered) or will take the lens seperate, also pocket for spare batterys.
All phelp greatly appreciated.
All the best,
james

I looked at loads of bags for the FZ20 - the Lowepro Topload Zoom 2 looked the best to me (quick 'draw' action from the bag with the TCON mounted) - couldn't believe the prices though!

So I went to my local army supplies place and he had a gasmask bag (Finnish I believe!) which was the same shape and fits perfectly - for just five of your English pounds as well. It was so good I bought a similar satchel bag which has now become my main birding bag and replaced an assortment of backpacks.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that for most of my life I have been deluding myself that I needed the best outdoors gear from the top brands - waterproofs, camera bags, boots, overtrousers, torches, rucksacks, you name it. However, the truth is that unless I plan on mounting an arctic expedition there's plenty of stuff around for a third of the price which is perfectly good enough for birding and a bit of walking.

I'd shop around for a bit, look in unexpected places (like charity shops for example) and see what turns up - there's plenty out there that would do the job.

Unless of course you have to have the best, in which case check out the Topload Zoom 2 and ignore my tight-fisted rant ;)

I am using a Tamrac messanger velocity 3 model 5743, see

www.tamrac.com

Its a shoulder bag with enough room for my FZ20, nikon camera, lens hood and when I get one a teleconverter. Plus plenty of pockets for other bits and bobs, incuding mobile phone. I had never seen this range before until I visted a local camera shop. I am impressed by the quality and most of all the price £29.99. You can also get accessories which mount on the strap

David

Bag for FZ20

Hi,
I have a Tamrac Expedition 3 backpack camera bag. I really liked it for my Olympus C750. But then I had to go and buy the Panasonic FZ20, and had no room to put both of them in. So I went to eBay and found a really nice backpack called an Apollo bag. It is departmentalized like the Tamrac. I like to take both cameras with me, so I needed space. There is a zipper front section which holds my birding book and other things. Inside is enough room for the Olympus, FZ20, T-Con 1.7, battery chargers, lens mounts for digiscoping for both cameras, step down rings, step up rings, case with 3 filter lenses in it, lens adapter for digiscoping, and still have empty holes. On the back side of the zip down front are two zipper pockets in which I keep extra batteries for both cameras, extra picture cards for both cameras, lens cleaner, brush for lense, etc.
The beauty of this bag is it is a backpack too. I walk with a cane, so I must have something I can carry on my back to leave my arms free. The selling point for me was it is padded just like the Tamrac, and the price. $59.99 USD.
Sorry to be so wordy, but couldn't tell you what was in it unless I described it as I did. There are also clip rings to attach other things to the outside of it, and a pull out section on the front where you can put a fold down tripod down into and cinch it down and pack your tripod that way.
Hope this helps you.

I use a Crumpler Ben's Pizza (large) bag - big enough for the FZ20 in one compartment + TCON and a compact pair of bins in the other. The front pocket holds batteries/SD cards etc. Only problem is that Mrs DNB has taken a fancy to it as a handbag

didnotbat said:
I use a Crumpler Ben's Pizza (large) bag - big enough for the FZ20 in one compartment + TCON and a compact pair of bins in the other. The front pocket holds batteries/SD cards etc. Only problem is that Mrs DNB has taken a fancy to it as a handbag
I Rather like the crumpler bags and if drop on one at good price its a strong runner.
Thanks,
James

Marslet said:
Hi,
for the Olympus, FZ20, T-Con 1.7, battery chargers, lens mounts for digiscoping for both cameras, .
Hope this helps you.
The more info the better thank you, slightly of topic here but you mention using the FZ20 for digiscoping!
I would love to hear what your set up is please for the FZ20 and what results as was under the understanding that there would be loads of vignetting with the FZ20.
Thanks again and feel free to PM me.
All the best,
James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back