• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

august moths (1 Viewer)

corbiere

This is our first attempt and would appreciate help with these.
we have called these
....50a Bullnose/mole
....87a Annulet?
....36a Tiny shell
....52a Cats Eye
....39a Cream Wave?

they are all caught in a light trap on south coast of jersey in the last few weeks. the first 6 digits of name is the date.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• 040714 036a.jpg
    040714 036a.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 040714 050a.jpg
    040714 050a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 040801 087a.jpg
    040801 087a.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 040714 052a.jpg
    040714 052a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 040801 039a_1.jpg
    040801 039a_1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 152
Welcome John,

....50a Bullnose/mole Lesser Yellow Underwing
....87a Annulet? Probably a Willow Beauty
....36a Tiny shell Don't Know
....52a Cats Eye The Clay
....39a Cream Wave? Riband Wave

Heaven knows i`m know expert but i`d hazard a guess at :-

1. ? Some kind of Micro Moth
2. Lesser Yellow Underwing
3. Beauty sp - i`d be tempted by Willow Beauty
4. I`m not really clever enough to get this one - but could it be The Clay ?
5. Riband Wave (unbanded form)

The first one may be a washed out (overexposed?) version of Ochraceous Wave. I've attached a pic of what I took to be Ochraceous Wave (upper) when in the Vercors region of France recently, which looks very similar to your pic, together with a pic of Bright Wave (lower) from the same place for comparison.

Ochraceous Wave is a Jersey resident, but "very local and rare" according to Waring & Townsend, so it may be worth getting someone more experienced to check it. What slightly worries me is that my pic is closer to your pic (ignoring the colour) than the painting in Waring, so if anyone has any contrary views they would be welcome...

Attachments

• Ochraceous & Bright Waves; Vercors.jpg
    Ochraceous & Bright Waves; Vercors.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 130
Hello John and Welcome to Birdforum from all the Moderators and Admin Staff.
I'm with Angus on most of them, however, and I'm not certain, but I think 52a could well be a Cosmopolitan.

Last edited:
Superb!
Thanks to all for the help ( and thanks for the flag, whoever was responsible for that)
Still not absolutely certain about every one of the 5, but have resolved to get better pics in future (no flash), and have ordered Waring from Amazon.
We have assigned preliminary ids to all

re ochreaceous/bright wave have gone for bright wave mainly because of overall body length. It's funny that latin name for the ochraceous seems to be serpentata, and for the light wave it's ochrata. is this right?

John

CJW said:
Hello John and Welcome to Birdforum from all the Moderators and Admin Staff.
I'm with Angus on most of them, however, and I'm not certain, but I think 52a could well be a Cosmopolitan.
I haven't looked at it again, but though I didn't say it at the time, I was a little hesitant in mentioning Clay.

corbiere said:
re ochreaceous/bright wave have gone for bright wave mainly because of overall body length. It's funny that latin name for the ochraceous seems to be serpentata, and for the light wave it's ochrata. is this right?

John

That's what it says in my book...

Bright Wave has dots at the end of the wing which I don't see on your specimen, and the forewing is narrower on Ochraceous, so you can see more of the hindwing. In favour of Bright though, it is "very local and occasional" in Jersey, so I gather from that it's a little more likely to be found.

Andrew

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back