• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Thrushes, plus forst Snowdrop (1 Viewer)

Sue Wright

Out for a walk at the bottom of the village on Tuesday and near a mini orchard were a mixed flock of Fieldfares and a few Redwing, all were such a joy to see as they've been - so far - in such small numbers around here. Not the best of photos I'm afraid and definately a camera shy Redwing behind the twigs (!!), but the best I could do for now. We'll have to get out on the Levels as we're said to be a thousand or more there yesterday!

In the same place as the Fieldfare I did get a better picture of our first Snowdrop of the year, also a Song Thrush did his best to look pretty for me and oh how he succeeded, so not too bad at all.

Best wishes all,

Sue.

Attachments

• Fieldfare back of in village.jpg
    Fieldfare back of in village.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 38
  • Fieldfare in village side_front.jpg
    Fieldfare in village side_front.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Redwing in village.jpg
    Redwing in village.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Snowdrop first 413.jpg
    Snowdrop first 413.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Song Thrush 422side.jpg
    Song Thrush 422side.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 49
Fantastic pics Sue.Always a treat to see them en'masse,though as you say
there hasn't been too many this year.

And I'm still looking for that first snowdrop!,neighbors daffs are a good 9inches out of the ground now so can't be much longer..will have a rummage next time I'm on my travels!

Matt

Such charming pictures, esp. the Fieldfare.

As fieldfares numbers go, i've not seen many. Plenty of Redwings, but fieldfares were far and few between until I found one massive flock of a couple of hundred on saturday. I think we can thank this mild weather for the low numbers, they've not bothered to move across here!

Nice pics Sue. There are quite a lot of snowdrops over this side of the hill, perhaps we`re a bit more sheltered! I keep hearing the song thrushes, especially when I`m walking the dogs just before dark, but they are being very elusive. It`s either all or nothing with the winter thrushes, saw dozens a few weeks back, now only dribs and drabs. Also, why do they pose for you to take their photos and fly away when I get my camera poised?!

Wendy Morris said:
Nice pics Sue. Also, why do they pose for you to take their photos and fly away when I get my camera poised?!

Yes, why do they do that?! :-O

You always manage such beautiful Thrush pictures Sue, and this is no exception. And the Redwing is a wonderful 'catch' - very well done!
A Snowdrop! That'll cheer us all up!

Hi Sue.
Lovely pics as usual. The Thrush is a beauty, and the Fieldfares are very much a rarity where I've been; which is not very far admittedly. Your little harbinger of spring is lovely, which brings to mind a pic on Look North the other night of Daffodils looking for all the world as though they were wearing snow bonnets. Such a mixed up period.

Love.
Baz.

Hi Sue,

Well done gal, that puts you ahead of me for the year, I STILL haven't managed a recognisable photo of either Fieldfare or Redwing.

Only one Snowdrop?

Bit surprised that you didn't get you-know-who to remove the twigs.

Love, Bill.

Lovely set of photos Sue, and the Songthrush is surely a cracker!

The Snowdrop photo is delightful, twigs and all!

Good luck if you manage to get out on the levels and of course bring us a few piccies back!! :t:

Hiya Sue

Really nice pics. Reckon Chris is correct about the warm weather factor. Numbers do seem to be building up a little now though. Quite a few Waxwing begining to crop up now as well not that I have seen any yet this winter. Come to think of it there are only two winters when I ever have seen them.

Fieldfares are really attractive birds IMO especially when you get them in the sun.

take care
Bri

Thanks to all of you for your remarks. I agree that the Song Thrush is by far the best, though not so shy and well into the twigs as the Fieldfare and particularly the Redwing were.

I'm sure you're right Chris and Bri, that's one of the things we'll miss as it all warms up, some we'll win instead though I suppose.

They sound beautiful regardless Baz. We saw Crocus too today!!

I'll do my best Pam - IF we ever get there! Those pics took some getting Wendy, so keep it up if you see them again and try the car as a hide - so long as you stop it first!!!!

There are a couple more Snowdrops on their way up below the main one Bill, Terry always moans about me removing twigs etc from view as "Nature is never perfect". I suppose he's right - sometimes! Aha! Just realised (or twigged) what you mean - the twigs from the photos in adobe by himself - right! I'll leave him to do that when he sends his to you, which won't be long.

Love, Sue.

Very nice picture of the thrush and the snowdrop, Sue. I noticed lots of snowdrops were out at the doctors when I went this morning. Cheered me up no end!

Hi Sue,
What a lovely set of photo's, well done.
I've yet to see a Fieldfare and I have looked very hard. I keep hearing people in my local reserve saying they have "just seen one near the footpath" grrrr!
Which footpath? where? lol!
Never mind, fingers crossed, one day I hope.
Thanks for posting your gorgeous pics Sue.

Hi Sue,
As everyone's already said, they are lovely photos Sue. Don't think I've ever seen either Fieldfares or Redwings, so thanks for sharing yours. The Song Thrush is a beauty, I'm lucky enough to have a pair visiting my garden every day now. There are quite a few Snowdrops flowering in the garden too, and just one lonely Crocus! but I'm hoping there'll be lots more soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back