• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (31 Viewers)

Ahh - didn't look. Might have some contacts via work.

I have tweeted them @wpduk) and had a reply requesting me to fill in a complaints form. I have mentioned the fact that 2 geese put down a US blackhawk over Cley a couple of years ago. The helicopter flushed over 300 geese. Anyway we will see what they say.

Last edited:
Tuesday work party

We will be continuing work along west side in sluice area .
Also preparing boards for all dayer this coming Saturday.
Installing a couple more boards for hide clamps along Flashes track....

Monday 29th August 0700-1145

MOORS POOL
1 Snipe, 51 Lapwing, 4+ Gadwall, 8 Teal, c100 Mallard, 10 Shoveler, 61 Tufted Duck, min of 15 juv / adult Little Grebe + 4 young, juv GC Grebe, 4 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 2 LBB Gull, c160 BH Gull, c150 Canada Geese, 39 Greylag Geese, 2 Mute Swan + 5 cygnets, 163 Coot, 9 Moorhen, Jay, Buzzard, Green & GS Woodpeckers, Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Swallow, House Martin, Willow Warbler in subsong by car park, Nuthatch, Kingfisher, Sedge Warbler, 6+ Cetti's Warbler.

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe (adult and juvenile), 2 Tufted Duck, 3 Coot, Grey Wagtail.
Common Sand earlier as per Andy Pitt.

FLASHES
3 Avocet, 16 Curlew, 3 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand (3 earlier as per Andy Pitt), juv Ringed Plover (second bird flew in from the north), 1 Snipe, 98 Lapwing, 5 Shoveler, c70 Teal, no sign of Pintail, 1 Tufted Duck, 29 Coot, 32 Moorhen, 1 LBB Gull, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Redstart, Lesser Whitethroat, Spotted Fly in large dead tree by feeding station, female Wheatear flushed from near boardwalk then spent 45+ mins on wires above first Flash.

Extensive and prolonged gunfire from fields north of the North Moors for most of the morning.

Tilling had commenced on both the A38 fields and the field north of the first Flash, bringing in good numbers of gulls (including 4 Herring - 1 adult and 3 juvs - to the latter location). Worth keeping an eye on both the feeding flocks and birds dropping into the reserve to wash / loaf - chance of Common, Mediterranean, Yellow-legged and even Caspian amongst the more usual species.

Last edited:
Phil was the gun fire a automatic bird disturber and not a person with a gun I am only wandering as we are unfortunately having to put up with them where I live going off all day long every few minutes.

No - from the pattern of shots I would say it was someone with a shotgun. Worrying several shots rang out after two Buzzards flew out of the North Moors plantation.

Saturday all Dayer......Info

On Saturday we will be having our Annual Autumn All-dayer.
I have secured access to the Education reserve for all of us .
However there is an issue on Saturday regarding parking at Sailing pool.
There is a family fun day and the car park will be rammed. I have been asked by Alistair at the center not to park in the car park by the buildings and if possible no parking at all on the sailing pool car park.
This means that we can park in the Moors and walk through the education reserve and over to the Flashes.
I will be arriving at the Flashes at 5am on Saturday . I will park in the overspill car park and go on to the Flashes. If anyone else is planning to arrive early let me know and I will make some arrangement re the parking. B :) john

Birding at Moors :
Little grebe 22 ( at least 3 large un-fledged chicks - 2 broods). GCG 2. Cormorant 2. Shoveler 12. teal 10. gadwall 3. tufted 115 mostly juv/chicks.
Snipe 2. lapwing 24.
BHG 650. herring gull 2. LBBG 18.
Red Kite 3pm came in from the north and drifted high of to SW. water rail. coot 130. kingfisher 2. Swallow 12. house martin 65. sand martin 3. Mistle thrush.
Cetti's Warbler 2 singing and 2 lots of juvs calling 1 each east and west hide. Reed warbler 3 chicks being fed on east side. Blackcap 3. chiffchaff 5. goldcrest 2.

A mink was seen to attack a female mallard in front of concrete hide. :-C

Birding Flashes

teal 60 +. Shoveler 20.
Avocet 4 (3juvs ). Greenshank. Green sand 4. Common sand 3. Ringed plover 3 juvs. Snipe 2. lapwing 140. Curlew 18.
BHG 800. LBBG 5 herring gull.
Kestrel 2 juv males. stock dove 80+. Kingfisher.
rook. raven 2.
nuthatch. spotted flycatcher. redstart. lesser whitethroat. Whitethroat. chiffchaff 3. grey wag.

Tuesday work party

Today the opening up of the channels in front of the west hides and also sluice channels was completed.
We also fitted several hide clamp attachments along the track at the Flashes (7in all)

Attachments

• 20160830_165411.jpg
    20160830_165411.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160830_182714.jpg
    20160830_182714.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160826_113851.jpg
    20160826_113851.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 71
Sounds like a productive day John - could do with some of these species on the All-Dayer. Was the Spot Fly in the same location as Monday? Did the count of 22 Little Grebe include the 3 chicks that you referred to?

Two shots of the Curlew Sandpipers from Saturday on the final day of their stay.

Attachments

• Curlew Sand 1.jpg
    Curlew Sand 1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Curlew Sand 2.jpg
    Curlew Sand 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 62
They wont be with us too much longer before they head south but despite their dull plumage Common Sandpipers add some character and constant activity to the reserve.

Attachments

• Common Sand 1.jpg
    Common Sand 1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Common Sand 2.jpg
    Common Sand 2.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 45
On Saturday we will be having our Annual Autumn All-dayer.
I have secured access to the Education reserve for all of us .
However there is an issue on Saturday regarding parking at Sailing pool.
There is a family fun day and the car park will be rammed. I have been asked by Alistair at the center not to park in the car park by the buildings and if possible no parking at all on the sailing pool car park.
This means that we can park in the Moors and walk through the education reserve and over to the Flashes.
I will be arriving at the Flashes at 5am on Saturday . I will park in the overspill car park and go on to the Flashes. If anyone else is planning to arrive early let me know and I will make some arrangement re the parking. B :) john

Early weather forecast shows an overcast day with SSW / SW winds and temperatures reaching 17C. The cloudy gets thickest mid afternoon with a little rain promised. Not the best forecast for big numbers of migrants but not the worst either.

Sounds like a productive day John - could do with some of these species on the All-Dayer. Was the Spot Fly in the same location as Monday? Did the count of 22 Little Grebe include the 3 chicks that you referred to?

The spotted fly was left of the old feeding station.
Little grebe - yes they are from 2 different broods 2 almost fledged and one in sluice channel a bit 'fluffy' at the rear.
My count was a minimum. 5 separate broods of chick/broods min.

MINK - I didn't see any water rail west hides...so maybe it is scaring birds off:C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back