• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

An early 6am start at the Flashes. A cold SE wind and heavy showers at times...what we call ideal spring conditions. Plenty of activity in and around the 2nd Flash. Lapwing and Avocet displaying the latter reaching a new record spring count. No new arrivals at the Flashes but later a walk along the southern shore of sailing pool brought me 2 new year ticks - swallow and willow warbler.
small numbers of mipits headed west and sand martin trickled through.
The weather improved and more passerines sang. I hung on at the Flashes until another birder appeared before moving on to the Moors for the Barnacle.

Species count FLASHES :
Little grebe. little egret 2 (gert and Andy P). greylag 4. Teal 14. Shoveler 3, gadwall 10. Shelduck 6.tufted 6. coot 34.
Avocet 45. curlew 3. oystercatcher 5. snipe 10. lapwing 18, LRP 3.
Med Gull 2 ads. BHG 1200,
raven. rook 5. stock dove 12.
skylark 9 birds seen flying over the field, probably not all were males.
greenfinch 3. goldfinch 5.linnet. Cetti's Warbler. blackcap. chiffchaff 2. song thrush 2. meadow pipit 3. Reed bunting 8

Sailing pool : GCG 14. tufted 8. little egret. oystercatcher 2. Raven displaying .Swallow. willow warbler.

MOORS; GCG 2. little grebe 2. little egret 2. greylag 4. teal 14. shoveler 28. gadwall 8. Shelduck. Pochard male. tufted 60. cormorant. coot 51
Snipe. lapwing 4 (1 sitting ). Oystercatcher 5.
sand martin 45.
blackcap 2. cetti's 3. chiffchaff 2. song thrush. pied wag meadow pipit.

Last edited:
a few from last couple of visits

the bhg's were obviously feeding on hatching insects.

Attachments

• _DSC9556.jpg
    _DSC9556.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 63
  • _DSC9609.jpg
    _DSC9609.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 64
  • _DSC9653.jpg
    _DSC9653.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 58
  • _DSC9665.jpg
    _DSC9665.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 98
  • _DSC9675.jpg
    _DSC9675.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 73
retrospective record

Received a text from Andy G today.
He had a male white wag 31st March at Moors.
desc: Clean flanks, black bib, black crown & nape ending neatly before grey back.:t:

Received a text from Andy G today.
He had a male white wag 31st March at Moors.
desc: Clean flanks, black bib, black crown & nape ending neatly before grey back.:t:

Couple of other records inland in last few days - think Neil D may have had one today at Salford Priors?

An early 6am start at the Flashes. A cold SE wind and heavy showers at times...what we call ideal spring conditions. Plenty of activity in and around the 2nd Flash. Lapwing and Avocet displaying the latter reaching a new record spring count. No new arrivals at the Flashes but later a walk along the southern shore of sailing pool brought me 2 new year ticks - swallow and willow warbler.
small numbers of mipits headed west and sand martin trickled through.
The weather improved and more passerines sang. I hung on at the Flashes until another birder appeared before moving on to the Moors for the Barnacle.

Species count FLASHES :
Little grebe. little egret 2 (gert and Andy P). greylag 4. Teal 14. Shoveler 3, gadwall 10. Shelduck 6.tufted 6. coot 34.
Avocet 45. curlew 3. oystercatcher 5. snipe 10. lapwing 18, LRP 3.
Med Gull 2 ads. BHG 1200,
raven. rook 5. stock dove 12.
skylark 9 birds seen flying over the field, probably not all were males.
greenfinch 3. goldfinch 5.linnet. Cetti's Warbler. blackcap. chiffchaff 2. song thrush 2. meadow pipit 3. Reed bunting 8

Sailing pool : GCG 14. tufted 8. little egret. oystercatcher 2. Raven displaying .Swallow. willow warbler.

MOORS; GCG 2. little grebe 2. little egret 2. greylag 4. teal 14. shoveler 28. gadwall 8. Shelduck. Pochard male. tufted 60. cormorant. coot 51
Snipe. lapwing 4 (1 sitting ). Oystercatcher 5.
sand martin 45.
blackcap 2. cetti's 3. chiffchaff 2. song thrush. pied wag meadow pipit.
All I can add to todays list are from the Flashes, 5 LRP, 2 Peregrine, a Collared Dove flew towards the farm beyond the 3rd flash.
I think you'd get more waders if the water levels were slightly lower.

A Jack Snipe at the flashes this evening found by Craig, on east shore in front of sewage works - one of ten additions to my #PWC2017 list today 😊

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

44 Avocet, 3 Snipe, Curlew, 2 Little Egret, 2 adult Med Gulls, 5 LR Plover, 2 Meadow Pipit, Willow Warbler

Last edited:
March closed with a monthly list of 95 and the year list advanced to 103 species.

The list of potential additions in April is long and mouth-watering:

Garganey, Hobby, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Greenshank, Whimbrel, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Turnstone, Common Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, House Martin, Swift, Cuckoo, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Yellow Wagtail, Willow Warbler, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Yellowhammer

Quick recount puts the March list on 96 species.

75 species were racked up yesterday with 3 additions to the year list to increase it to 106.

Last edited:
Dave J reports from the Moors Pool:

29 Avocet - from the Flashes (flushed by a hot air balloon), Little Egret, Pochard, Willow Warbler

All I can add to todays list are from the Flashes, 5 LRP, 2 Peregrine, a Collared Dove flew towards the farm beyond the 3rd flash.
I think you'd get more waders if the water levels were slightly lower.
Geoff they are 5cm lower than normal ..These levels are not too low as the water will dry out very quickly . The present level is the normal Level for June...
The levels will be lower next spring if the dredging / desilting takes place...hope we don't have a hot dry spring otherwise we might not have too much to play with in Autumn.

Little different to yesterday in four hours from 9 a.m. - my only additions to my 65 species yesterday were Raven, Goldcrest, Linnet and Kingfisher. A count of 87 Tufted Duck on the Moors Pool was made easy due to them all having been flushed there by the earlier hot air balloon.

Another lovely sunny Sunday afternoon at the Flashes.
Good views of the hybrid BHG x Med Gull in front of the Cuckoo hide :t:
Rich

Attachments

• 020A2176.jpg
    020A2176.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 020A2192.jpg
    020A2192.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 020A2214.jpg
    020A2214.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 020A2251.jpg
    020A2251.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Grey Plover

A triplet of charts to accompany the recent Grey Plover sighting - two points of interest that may have gone unnoticed are (a) this is the first time since the late 1990s we have had Grey Plover in successive years, and (b) this represents the record stay for the species on the reserve.

Attachments

• Grey Plover 1.jpg
    Grey Plover 1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Grey Plover 2.jpg
    Grey Plover 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Grey Plover 3.jpg
    Grey Plover 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 42
Highlights from the Flashes earlier included:

Avocet, Little Ringed Plover, Lapwing, 3 Oystercatcher, 1 Curlew, 2 Shelduck, Shoveler, Gadwall, 2 Peregrine and Stock Dove.

On the Sailing Pool there were at least 11 Great Crested Grebe- could have easily been more.

Chris

Just a heads up, that five Canada Geese flew from the transmitter field to the Sailing Pool this afternoon and we saw (and heard) three of them clip the three power lines by the path along the south side of the pool. They were all OK, as far as we could tell, but those lines don't have any visibility markers attached.

A triplet of charts to accompany the recent Grey Plover sighting - two points of interest that may have gone unnoticed are (a) this is the first time since the late 1990s we have had Grey Plover in successive years, and (b) this represents the record stay for the species on the reserve.

We all love birdwatching, and often for differing reasons. For me I love to find out the context of various sightings (be they common or rare), and your stats hit the mark for Upton Warren! Cheers Phil B :)B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back