• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

up coming trip help (1 Viewer)

binus1963

we are landing at christchurch 10th april 2017 and spending nearly three weeks taking a camper van round the south island, any help with a itinerary, aiming to go down east coast try and visit stewart island and fjordland and back up west side arthurs pass and mountains for some scenery any thoughts ideas appreciated.

Did south (and then north) islands in three weeks back in February 2014. We went to Moraki (sp?) for the boulders and the Yellow-eyed Penguin colony. We stopped for lunch at a beach with a large lagoon behind, stuffed with birds. I'll look up details, too much Cava at present! We stopped further south for the Royal Albatross colony. Failed to have enough time for Stewart Island (do it it's very good I gather) then over to Te Anau from where we did the fjord bit. Then it was a race to Kaikoura via Queenstown. You can book the pelagics from there in advance - I booked an afternoon and the following morning - good job as the afternoon was cancelled due to bad weather. we then went off to cross to N Island. While waiting I did trip up the sound to see some goodies on Motuara island.
I sincerely hope the weather hasn't changed to too cold by the time you get there, not sure when the Austral summer ends, and what will be around then. Birds might have migrated north by then.

Kia ora
There was a 7.8 mag earthquake on Nov 14.
There is now no open coastal road from Picton to ChCh.
It will be another year till the road is open.
There is an inland route that takes around 7 hrs to drive, Picton - ChCh.
There is access by road from ChCh to Kaikoura.
April is Autumn here.
Albatros, Yelow-eyed Penguin at Tairoa Heads, Dunedin.
The Catlins further sth and Stewart Island are well worth a stop.
The only birding forum in NZ is
http://www.birdingnz.net/forum/
You will find plenty of ideas there from answers to similar questions over the years.

thanks for help

was planning on heading south then alongsong south coast through fjordland and into mountains then back across don't want to spend three weeks just driving!! i will look at all the advice nearer and plan itinery in more detail then. cheers all.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back