• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Warbler?? (1 Viewer)

arco13

I saw this bird last week. I was thinking it was a Lawrence's Warbler but the longer and slightly curved bill confuses me a little. :h?: Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• 324D4656 (117)e.jpg
    324D4656 (117)e.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 189
Hi Arco,

You are correct, it is a male Lawrence's Warbler. Superb bird, even if it is a hybrid!

Thanks Stuartelsom. Dosnt the bill look kind of curved to you? Maybe thats not a big deal but it seems weird to me. All the plates have the bill stright on the Lawrence's.

Thanks Stuartelsom. Dosnt the bill look kind of curved to you? Maybe thats not a big deal but it seems weird to me. All the plates have the bill stright on the Lawrence's.

It could be the angle of the head relative to the camera. Or it could be a backcross with a thrasher. |;|

It could be the angle of the head relative to the camera. Or it could be a backcross with a thrasher. |;|

lol!! Good point on the head relative to the camera. I was looking at some of the other photos I took of it and the bill seemed straighter. I though maybe this was something differnt but I guess not. Oh well, still a pretty damn cool bird! :cool: :-O

Male Lawrence's! Wowza! Arco, you lucky seadog! From what I've been told, Lawrence's are even more rare than Golden-winged themselves - being the progeny of a hybrid that then mated with another Golden-winged. I week after I left my banding site last spring, the remaining crew caught a female Lawrence's. We'd never gotten any Golden-wingeds, though.

Where in CT did you see this beauty?

Spectacular bird!

I've got a BBS block here in PA (in the Poconos) with several golden-wings and at least 2 Brewster's, but no Lawrence's (yet). So I'm a bit jealous.

Cool bird!! It's definitely a Lawrence's--a hybrid I've seen only once before. (Seen a few Brewster's though...)

Actually, my first BW/GW type warbler was a Lawrence's.

Male Lawrence's! Wowza! Arco, you lucky seadog! From what I've been told, Lawrence's are even more rare than Golden-winged themselves - being the progeny of a hybrid that then mated with another Golden-winged. I week after I left my banding site last spring, the remaining crew caught a female Lawrence's. We'd never gotten any Golden-wingeds, though.

Where in CT did you see this beauty?

Wow, thanks everyone for the cool comments. I feel really lucky now. :-O
Alex, dude. Not to far from New Haven. It's the Fairchild Wildflower Garden in Greenwich, CT. He was there last week too so if your are still in the area. He is in the meddow part. His call is just like the classic blue wing. Beee Buzzzzz....! Hope you get to see him. I messed up on the photo. Sucks!! He almost flew on my head. I didnt think he knew I was there. I had my camo on. lol! B :)B :)B :) :smoke:

here is a link - http://greenwich.audubon.org/AboutUs_AudubonCenter_Other_Fairchild.html

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back