• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help please from Guanacaste, NW Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Please help with a few from Guanacaste in the North West corner of Costa Rica taken this week
1. maybe one of the black hawks
2. which wren
3. which trogen
4. which oriole
5. maybe Hoffman's woodpecker
thanks for any help given
Debbie

Attachments

• IMG_9567 Black Hawk day 2 b.jpg
    IMG_9567 Black Hawk day 2 b.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9704 which wren day 2a.jpg
    IMG_9704 which wren day 2a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9795 which trogon day 2.jpg
    IMG_9795 which trogon day 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9818 oriole day 2.jpg
    IMG_9818 oriole day 2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9834 Hoffman's woodpecker day 2.jpg
    IMG_9834 Hoffman's woodpecker day 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 49
1,. I'd say Mangrove Black Hawk, but not 100% certain...
2. Rufous-naped Wren
3. ?
4. Streak-backed Oriole
5. Yes, Hoffman's

Nice one with the Trogon :) I don't have nearly enough experience to tell them apart from the photo (I haven't seen either - dammit). Oh well, yet another excuse to go again one day ;-)

Interesting - I was under the impression that the Common was only found on the Atlantic Coast and the Mangrove all the way up the Pacific side (at least according to Helms) - then again they are described as being possibly conspecific. I have to admit though that I can't see any difference between the two and I've been almost in touching distance of both!

Thanks Niels, makes sense, although I'm now one species less on my Costa Rica and world list (or would be if I could ever be bothered to add them all up). ;-)

Common and mangrove black hawks are now considered conspecific (AOU NACC and others). There was very little reason for their split.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back