• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

Thanks Pam.

So many of the Australian birds were stunning Pam.... as I said up above, I've rather run out of superlatives! Can you think of a few more? LOL

Daisy Hill, Eagleby, Venman's

27 September 2019

Ken decided to take me to Daisy Hill, a rescue and rehabilitation centre for Koalas. This was a back-up plan in case I didn't get to see one in the wild (I did).

There were 3 long term residents there too poorly to be released.

The only bird we spotted was a Torresian Crow.

Moving on to Eagleby, we parked the car and walked along what appeared to be a farm track. There was a lake on one side behind a bank and reeds, making it hard for me with my short legs to see in. o:) However I did see the Cattle Egret at one edge and a flock of Glossy Ibis took flight rising above the reeds (just), allowing me to get a picture.

There were also some Pied Stilt and Maned Duck in there.

We carried on along the track and before too long found a Superb Fairwren, then a family party of Varigated Fairwrens showed themselves in the hedge.

Having decided we'd walked far enough, we meandered back and found a dapper Magpie-Lark on a branch (he wouldn't turn round for me though).

Ken then saw a white blob in a tree, that was too far for comforatable binocular ID, so I had a go with my camera. Turned out to be a Black-shouldered Kite - that was a good spot Ken.

Back at the lake, a few of the Ibis were showing through a break in the reeds and looked really beautiful in the sunlight we then got Red-backed Fairywren, our third fairywren of the day,

Attachments

• BF Cattle Egret thread.jpg
    BF Cattle Egret thread.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren thread.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 47
  • BF Varigated Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Varigated Fairywren thread.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 53
  • BF Varigated Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Varigated Fairywren female thread.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 41
  • BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    BF Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 30
There was also a rather attractive flowering tree near the car, which Judy identified for me as Silky Oak

Attachments

• BF Black-shouldered Kite thread.jpg
    BF Black-shouldered Kite thread.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 47
  • BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 41
  • BF Glossy Ibis flightthread.jpg
    BF Glossy Ibis flightthread.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 34
  • BF Red-backed Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Red-backed Fairywren thread.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Silky Oak thread.jpg
    BF Silky Oak thread.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 45
Thanks so much Keith and Andrew. It's rather nice re-living the moments from such a wonderful trip.

Eagleby

Not far away from there is an area known as Eagleby Wetlands

Not too many birds in view, however, got nice pictures of them. White-faced Heron, Great Egret and Glossy Ibis looking wonderful in the sunlight.

Then it was my turn to see a white blob in a tree. White-bellied Sea Eagle was Ken's verdict when he saw it. WOW!

Leaving the area the ubiquitous Masked Lapwing was pottering about - at least this one didn't just show me his back view!

Attachments

• BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Glossy Ibis thread.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 36
  • BF White-bellied Sea Eagle.jpg
    BF White-bellied Sea Eagle.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 45
  • BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 38
We then headed up the hill to Venman's Bush Area National Park for our packed lunch.

We settled in the shade at a table and sorted ourselves out.Just getting tucked in when Ken spotted a rather large Tree Monitor (or Goanna) at the base of the closest tree.

Watched him climb the tree and disappear. Then a Channel-billed Cuckoo called; sadly he didn't show himself. I was to hear them call in various places but never once did one come into view.

Attachments

• BF Tree Monitor thread.jpg
    BF Tree Monitor thread.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Tree Monitor tongue thread.jpg
    BF Tree Monitor tongue thread.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BF Tree Monitor climbing thread.jpg
    BF Tree Monitor climbing thread.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 35
Oyster Point

28 September 2019

An exploration of Wellington Point area today. Somehow or other I've not got any pictures from this time, can't remember what happened to them, I'm sure I took some.

We started at Oyster Point and found Bar-tailed Godwit, Pied Stilt, Pacific Golden Plover and Little Egret.

Moving on to Thornside Esplanade, there were plenty of Black Swans, but rather distant along with Silver Gulls.

Then the Geoff Skinner Wetlands was visited, rather nice here, and it produced another lifer in Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, along with more Pied Stilt, Bar-tailed Godwit and Torresian Crows.

A very pleasant morning.

Later on down to the beach, but round the corner from the first day.

Two Crested Pigeon were pecking around then the star of the show there Torresian Kingfisher such beauties! (I struggle to see kingfishers at home, so these were a particular delight.

After stopping to admire the view on the way home a flock of figbirds were seen flying around.

Edited: kingfisher confirmed as Torresian Kingfisher

Attachments

• BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 56
  • BF Forest Kingfisher thread.jpg
    BF Forest Kingfisher thread.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 55
  • BF King Island thread.jpg
    BF King Island thread.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 45
  • BF Figbird thread.jpg
    BF Figbird thread.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44
Wellington Point

29 September 2019

Always keen to spot other wildlife, a spider had made a web on the verandah. Identified for me as a Golden Orb by Ken.

Ken was occupied today so suggested I walk down the road to where the Osprey nest was. Nothing at home when I got there, so after a while sitting on the seat I decided to take the footpath down the cliff side.

A rather pleasant walk but no birds around for me..... well I could hear some, but no chance of seeing them; the leaf cover was too dense. Beautiful views though across Moreton Bay, when I found a gap through the trees.

I continued down the path until I reached the esplanade area (shame I'd not taken any money with me for an icecream 8-P).

A bird flew into a tree on the far side, so I took a picture to see what it was, only to discover that there were 4 birds, 2 Magpies and 2 Rainbow Lorikeets.

Now I was faced with the walk back up the cliff path! Half way up I spotted a pair of Noisy Miners in a tree. Finally reaching the top, I sat on the bench watching the world go by.

Then an Osprey appeared sitting on a power pole down the road, a bit distant for a photograph really. From his behaviour I guessed it was a young one, and so it proved when I studied the pictures later.

Unfortunately I didn't get a very good picture an a Blue-faced Honeyeater that was messing around in a shrub near the road.

Attachments

• BF Golden Orb Spider thread.jpg
    BF Golden Orb Spider thread.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Moreton Bay thread.jpg
    BF Moreton Bay thread.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Magpie, Rainbow Lorikeet.jpg
    BF Magpie, Rainbow Lorikeet.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Noisy Miner thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Miner thread.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 47
  • BF Osprey thread.jpg
    BF Osprey thread.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 40
Is the Golden Orb venomous Delia? I had an uncle who lived in Victoria for fifty-odd years who used to say "Everything in Australia either stings or bites - and that's just the women!" 3:) Keep it coming Lass!

Chris

I don't think so Chris.

VENOM TOXICITY - the bite of Golden Orb Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. Symptoms may include mild local pain, numbness and swelling. Occasionally nausea and dizziness can occur. They seldom bite.

That's according to an Australian spider site (Spiders.com.au)

BTW There's thoughts that the Kingfisher I posted may not be a Forest, but Torresian Kingfisher.

I'm doing more research.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back