• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Landscape/street lenses (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi guys, having blown most my budget on a 7d Mark ii & big lens, I was wondering if anyone could give advice on a lens for landscape/street photography, budget is about £150 (ish). I’ve tried looking but the internet keeps pushing me towards the best lenses which I can’t afford.

Thanks
Sean

Apart from your usual birding lens, what do most people have I’m
their inventory because sometimes when I’m out & see a nice looking scene or landscape I want to be able to swap my 300mm f2.8 for a lens that would be better for the job..

Kind regards
Sean

I think your question is too wide for many people to answer (and I am not a Canon shooter at all so no direct answer). What I think you need to add a little about is what you imagine. Prime for absolute sharpness or zoom for flexibility? Is wide angle a must or are you more likely to choose something like a short tele and possibly with macro? Describe a little bit more what you hope to do and see if you get more takers.

Niels

Yep, a few more details would help in what you expect.

It's very difficult with a crop sensor to get an all-in-one landscape/ street photography lens - let alone one for £150 !

On a full frame something like a 24-70 f2.8 or 24-105 f4 would seem to be ideal focal ranges. If you want something smaller than those then you'd be looking at a small kit of primes.

I use the Tokina 12-28 f4 DX PRO on my Nikon D7200. This camera has a facility to shoot in 1.3x in-camera crop mode as well (at about 14.2MP). This gives me a 35mm eq focal range of 18mm - 56mm at f4. Not perfect, but not bad. I wish for more speed and about double the reach.

I don't think any fast lenses will fall within your budgetary reach. There is the Canon 15-85 f3.5-f5.6 which will give a 35mm eq focal range of 24mm to 135mm on the 7DII. Not fast by any means and likely above the budget, but a pretty nice focal range. https://m.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_15-85_3p5-5p6_is

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back