• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guardian of My Greenhouse. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
I tried to enter my greenhouse this morning, only to find that this fellow had built a beautiful web right across the doorway, preventing me getting in. Unfortunately, once the pic had been taken I had to break the web to go in: such a crying shame.

All the best.
Baz.

Last edited:
A beautiful creature and a great picture, Baz. Looks to me as though it's a Garden Spider, characterised by the white cross on it's back. It's the female that makes the web and lies in wait for prey, then she may share the prey with the male......;)

Oooooh I know every morning I walk into webs in the greenhouse but luckily no spiders...as yet!!
They look a bit too big for my liking Baz and Judo!:eek!:

Thanks for the link Judo. It's very interesting. I don't like the sound of the bite; and I should imagine, having broken her web, she'd bite me twice has hard. LOL!!

All the best flower.
Baz.

Nice pics Baz and Judo. They're fascinating (as long as they're at least 10feet away from me) The kind of insect I like to admire from afar;)

Best Wishes

and across the garden path first thing in the morning, sometimes I forget and walk into them sometimes if I think about it I gently break the web so that I can get to the washing line.
happy autumn days
Rose

Hi Baz,

Here's the dark brown version, taken in the garden back in September '04. Looks less hairy than yours and Judo's. I didn't know that they could be as pale as that.

Bill

Attachments

• DS spider a. diadematus 1.jpg
    DS spider a. diadematus 1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 19
Hi Bill.
Thanks for highlighting the contrast. I am aware of the the different colours, but I've only seen the light coloured one in my garden.

All the best.
Baz.

Nice guard spider you have, Baz! Your GH is safe from the likes of me. I won't mess with him!

Beautiful photos of all the spiders here! I've tried but can't get them in focus with my new digital but I keep trying.

L.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back