• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dare you draw what you see... (1 Viewer)

Strandman

I meant to post a link to this wonderful (to my eyes) photo the other day- came across it when arseing around doing a Buff-breast pic and it provided a timely reminder that there are some things even an extreme sketching birohead wouldn't get away with...

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/Photos/ShorebirdsWaders/BBSA3.jpg

Apologies if it is out of order to link to a photo in this forum, but I thought you folk might enjoy it.

Also apologies if Buzzard12 is about to post a cracking series of stretching wader studies..

wow what a great photo. you would never get away with that as
a drawing or painting . No one would beleive you saw it .
this is when Photography comes into its own. Great shot.

I meant to post a link to this wonderful (to my eyes) photo the other day- came across it when arseing around doing a Buff-breast pic and it provided a timely reminder that there are some things even an extreme sketching birohead wouldn't get away with...

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/Photos/ShorebirdsWaders/BBSA3.jpg

Apologies if it is out of order to link to a photo in this forum, but I thought you folk might enjoy it.

Also apologies if Buzzard12 is about to post a cracking series of stretching wader studies..

Couldnt resist rising to the bait, heres one for you ED!

Attachments

• abuffb.jpg
    abuffb.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 124
Couldnt resist rising to the bait, heres one for you ED!

I'm touched Alan. I did once see a Buff-breast doing exactly that stretchy wing thing early one morning (minus the slippers) - but that was a displaying bird on the Eye Field at Cley in May 1982.

I'm touched Alan. I did once see a Buff-breast doing exactly that stretchy wing thing early one morning (minus the slippers) - but that was a displaying bird on the Eye Field at Cley in May 1982.

We should have a weird looking positions birds get into thread love
to see what people came back with!:-O

Great cartoon Alan.

Great birds, have been lucky enough to see them on a number of occasions in Ireland, before finding a pair with a friend on my local patch in Dublin while doing a wader census, they were incredibly tame! Great birds.
They do a fantastic breeding display where they wing stretch to attract females, exposing the white underwings, would love to see it, minus the slippers....;)

The one that got away...

Sometimes you just wouldn't be believed without the photographic evidence, and, even then, I'm a retoucher! But this is genuine.

This young kingfisher caught a stickleback and whacked it against the log. The spines of the fish got stuck into the wood and the bird couldn't work out where his prize had gone. He carried on fishing, unsuccessfully, then he caught sight of the fish as it flapped to try to free itself. The kingfisher plucked the fish from the log and tried to get it head first for swallowing. The juggling went wrong and he dropped the stickleback into the water, I clearly saw the fish swim off. The stickleback was stuck into the log for about 10-15 minutes.

Now that's a story that the stickleback will be getting a free lunch from for the rest of his natural!

Woody

Attachments

• whereditgo.jpg
    whereditgo.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 122
Sometimes you just wouldn't be believed without the photographic evidence, and, even then, I'm a retoucher! But this is genuine.

This young kingfisher caught a stickleback and whacked it against the log. The spines of the fish got stuck into the wood and the bird couldn't work out where his prize had gone. He carried on fishing, unsuccessfully, then he caught sight of the fish as it flapped to try to free itself. The kingfisher plucked the fish from the log and tried to get it head first for swallowing. The juggling went wrong and he dropped the stickleback into the water, I clearly saw the fish swim off. The stickleback was stuck into the log for about 10-15 minutes.

Now that's a story that the stickleback will be getting a free lunch from for the rest of his natural!

Woody

Woody Thats great:-O more please everyone

Two crackin' good laughs there, snipe photo would make a top caption competition and a brill little scenario woody, wish I'd seen that one.

Woody Thats great:-O more please everyone

Hi all

I remembered this thread when I was looking through some photos I took the other say. It'd take a brave person to paint legs like this!

Attachments

• legs akimbo_PICT0014.jpg
    legs akimbo_PICT0014.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 93
  • legs akimbo2_PICT0014.jpg
    legs akimbo2_PICT0014.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 98
Great photos Dave, the first one (red necked stint??) was a puzzle, until I realised that it's got its toes closed up looking like its tarsus.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back