• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Famous Five Find a Garganey at Oare Marshes, 13.4.04 (1 Viewer)

James Armstrong

Flowerpot Man
The Famous Five Find a Garganey at Oare Marshes, 13.4.04

Geraldine and I once again teamed up with fellow BFers DaveG, partner Sam and their five-year old son Jamie at Oare Marshes, Kent yesterday in search of the drake Garganey reported thereabouts.

This would be a lifer for Dave, Sam and Geraldine (and Jamie who is the youngest birder I know – he has his own bins and birdbook) and a good tick for me as I’d seen a female (lifer) with young last year at Hellingwell, Essex W.T reserve last summer but not a male.

When we turned up at just after 10 a.m. (Seriously dudish I know but there was no way we were going to catch the high tide in daylight) Dave and co. had already been there half an hour and had seen a Kingfisher flying down the ditch bordering the West Flood and a couple of Hen Harriers which we were just in time to see disappearing over the horizon.

No sign of the Garganey on the East Flood but lots of great close-up views of a couple of Little Egrets – not much else about predictably with the tide being well out (but full list to follow). Everywhere there were singing Skylarks – fantastically uplifting sound (literally and metaphorically!). The weather was brightening up gradually as we drove up to the visitors centre car park and walked round to view the west flood from the sea wall. Lots of Curlews and Redshanks on the Swale mudflats. On the West Flood lots of birds, Mute Swans in flight – always great to see, usual collection of ducks but still no Garganey. Back to the car park for packed lunch and lashings of ginger beer.

Suitably fortified we headed along the sea wall toward the hide overlooking the Swale and Faversham Creek to the north - east of the East Flood. On the way Dave (who has seriously telescopic eyesight) spotted a bird circling very high up to the west over the Swale. After extensive scoping decided it was a male Marsh Harrier although it was behaving in a very buzzard-like way rising on a thermal. (Not a definite tick anyway). Continued along the sea-wall not much about and definitely no Garganey.

Got to the hide where Dave’s normally reliable Lee Majors vision let him down as he pronounced seven basking (common?) seals on the Horse Sandbank to be “lumps of rock”. Once he’d got them in his scope sights he realized his error as they made rude gestures with their flippers in his direction. Bright sunshine by now – hooray! More ginger beer. At the mouth of the creek on the water’s edge we spotted some more Curlew and… two Whimbrel! Only seen one once before on Havergate Island, Suffolk and that was a long way off. These were reasonably easy to identify as they were close to the Curlew and could be compared nicely. Much slighter in build and shorter but still downcurved beaks. Good tick. The day was rapidly improving in all ways.

Walked along the sea wall beside the East Flood and the creek, hoped to see Bearded Tits (RobinM has recommended this as a good place to spot them but no luck.) Not much to see on the East side of the Flood – Kestrel hovered close to us. Walked round to the hide on the south side of the East Flood. Lots of Greylag Geese, various ducks but no Garganey… Went to the pub. This was necessary as what the Americans call a ‘comfort stop’ – the drinking was merely secondary.

Did some more bird watching in the pub garden but not very good as their feeders and bird tables had no food out.

Sudden thought has just struck me - We need a national list of good pub bird-watching gardens for the summer on BF! ‘Birding and boozing!’ Could make a good bird guide for the seriously lazy alcoholic birder! Is there one out there already? (A book I mean…)If not somebody should start a thread…

Came back from the pub about 4 p.m. headed into the West Flood along the footpath – this has been recently refurbished and is very good - leads to just the one hide. Lots of Marsh Frogs making their strange quacking noise as we made our way to the hide.

Inside the hide we got some great views of all the birds on the West Flood: Wigeon, Pintail, Shoveler , Tufted Duck, Pochard, Avocet, Gadwall and two bird watchers fast asleep on the bank opposite us but no Garganey. Then after about half an hour Dave suddenly shouted ‘There it is! It’s behind the bank just in front of us! You can’t see it now but I saw its head!’ Was he stringing us along? I asked myself, as I couldn’t see a thing but then after about 5 minutes there it was – the fabled drake GARGANEY!!! Lots and lots of lashings of ginger beer! We spent the next hour watching it work its way around the flood in front of us feeding in the margins of the lake among the reeds. Sometimes disappearing from view but making its way around the circumference. What a lovely bird! I think it’s the only British duck that winters in Africa (ready to be corrected on this if necessary). Then Jamie spotted a Yellow Wagtail close to the hide. Eventually some other birders arrived and as the hide was quite small we left after pointing out to them where the Garganey was. The birders on the other bank were still asleep. Hope they saw the Garganey...

Walked back to the car park saw a swallow and a house martin and a male and female marsh harrier over the East Flood. Dave saw a Green Woodpecker and a Dunnock but I missed them! Left for home after a great day at 6 pm. Sam had done really well as she’s 5 and a half month’s pregnant! Jamie had also done very well but he was ready for his bed.

Birds seen by the five:-

Little grebe (2)
Cormorant (8)
Little Egret (4)
Grey Heron
Mute Swan (12)
Greylag Goose (12)
Shelduck (8)
Wigeon (6)
Gadwall (4)
Teal (6)
Mallard
Pintail (pair)
Garganey (1 male)
Shoveler (6)
Pochard (4)
Tufted Duck (12)
Marsh Harrier (3)
Hen Harrier (2)
Kestrel (2)
Pheasant (pair)
Moorhen (3)
Coot (lots)
Oystercatcher (5/6)
Avocet (2)
Ringed Plover (3)
Grey Plover (1)
Lapwing (lots)
Black-tailed Godwit (4/5)
Whimbrel (2)
Curlew (8)
Redshank
Black headed gull
Herring Gull
Great black-backed gull (immature)
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Skylark
Swallow
House Martin
Meadow Pipit
Yellow Wagtail (1)
Pied Wagtail
Blackbird
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Reed bunting (6)
Kingfisher
Green Woodpecker
Dunnock

Ends.

Last edited:
Looks like a good day. You've picked up some good ones there - I've not seen a whimbrel this year.

I was at Oare at dawn on Easter Sunday and Monday and it was superb. Watching the sunrise over the Swale made it worth the effort. Garganey and Bearded Tit from the sea wall - it's all down to luck.

Have you seen my thread about the GGBsC. It would be great if you and Geraldine could make it. In a month's time it may be a bit much for Sam, I guess.

Woody said:
Great stuff James,
I love Oare marshes, for a small place there's always plenty to see.

Woody
Cheers Woody,

Yes, great place. and what's surprising is how confiding the birds are as the birders are so visible and up close to them

Hi Robin,

Glad you saw the Garganey too - thought you'd missed it. Must investigate the GGBsC - we'll definitely be up for it if we're free that day. Will let you know asap.

James Armstrong said:
The Famous Five Find a Garganey at Oare Marshes, 13.4.04

Ends.
Birds seen by the four:-

Water Pipit (twice) ;-)

Must investigate the GGBsC also, I think Sam might try a waddle but getting more difficult by the day.

Great day had by all this end, thanks James & Geraldine.

Last edited:
Dave G said:
Birds seen by the four:-

Water Pippit (twice) ;-)
And Goldfinch by third hide, (as always at Oare), and Chaffinch in pub garden, if we're counting!
We had a great time too, Dave. It was lovely to see you all again, and good to see Jamie starting his own list!

Geraldine said:
And Goldfinch by third hide, (as always at Oare), and Chaffinch in pub garden, if we're counting!
And the Blue Tit (fly over) in the pub garden, if we're counting! B :)

I think I am going to propose Oare for GGBC. It should be all right, provided there are not too many of us. It will be easier if Sam decides to come and (following your excellent idea) we could have a midday break in the pub. If we were really feeling daft we could then go nightjar hunting in the evening at Kingswood.

robinm said:
I think I am going to propose Oare for GGBC. It should be all right, provided there are not too many of us. It will be easier if Sam decides to come and (following your excellent idea) we could have a midday break in the pub. If we were really feeling daft we could then go nightjar hunting in the evening at Kingswood.
Oare does have the advantage that anyone not wanting to walk can birdwatch from their car by the roadside. Disadvantage-no loos, although maybe at a weekend the visitors centre is open? And the pubs are nearby, and open until 3pm. And Sam said they had good menus, for anyone wanting lunch! (I'm getting into the idea of pub-birding!)
James also suggests Dungerness, for its wide range of habitats, although there is more walking.

Robin,

I'd love to see a nightjar - be a lifer for me. I just thought that on balance we might see more birds at Dungeness if we're going for quantity i.e. Sea watching at the Patch, the moat at the Obs., Hooker Pools for warblers, etc. The Main Pool for all sorts and there's also the field near the reserve (can't remember its name - where you get all sorts of stuff). There's a pub at Dungeness (the Pilot?) We could still do Kingswood afterwards. Be more tiring than Oare however for Sam, Jamie and Geraldine and not necessarily more birds...

James Armstrong said:
Robin,

I'd love to see a nightjar - be a lifer for me. I just thought that on balance we might see more birds at Dungeness if we're going for quantity i.e. Sea watching at the Patch, the moat at the Obs., Hooker Pools for warblers, etc. The Main Pool for all sorts and there's also the field near the reserve (can't remember its name - where you get all sorts of stuff). There's a pub at Dungeness (the Pilot?) We could still do Kingswood afterwards. Be more tiring than Oare however for Sam, Jamie and Geraldine and not necessarily more birds...
I'm going to update my thread regarding this day and give 3 options: Elmley, Oare and Dunge. I'll put the pros and cons of each and see what response we get.

If you've never seen a nightjar we will definitely have to organise an evening even if we don't do it that day. I can pretty much guarantee nightjar, woodcock and tree pipit at Kingswood. If you like bluebells Kingswood is magnificent. As it is only 5 minutes from us I can let you know when they are out, if you are interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back