• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly Uganda (1 Viewer)

JanArras

Hello,

I have some pictures of butterflies, taken on a recent trip to Uganda.
Someone on this forum who thinks he can help me with ID ?

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 21
Thank you very much.
Some more (all in the same garden !)

Attachments

• 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 0008.jpg
    0008.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21
No1 looks like a Charaxes to me (but I'm really no expert!), maybe Charaxes fulvescens?

No2 might be Eurema hekabe (pretty sure it's a Eurema).

No3 might be Acraea eugenia, or another Acraea...

Andrea

No1 looks like a Charaxes to me (but I'm really no expert!), maybe Charaxes fulvescens?

No2 might be Eurema hekabe (pretty sure it's a Eurema).

No3 might be Acraea eugenia, or another Acraea...

Andrea

Thank you !
Can you recommend books on butterflies for this region. (East / Central Africa) ?

Sorry, I have no book available. I've been using the web. This page is trying to cover the whole world, but of course they don't have a photograph for every species.

I don't know all that much about butterflies, but when I came back from a trip to India I became interested in identifying those I'd taken photos of, and that's given me a wider interest. Finding a webpage for the correct region can be very useful. Comparing my photos to those available from such a page usually gives an idea of at least the family (quite often the species), and then googling for particular species names finds more images for comparison (since there is quite a lot of variability in some species).

This isn't particularly scientific, so if anybody has suggestions of how one might go about narrowing down taxonomic branches for a given specimen where good pictures are available, I too would quite like to know about that.

Andrea

Some more from Uganda:

Attachments

• BUT001.jpg
    BUT001.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 22
  • BUT002.jpg
    BUT002.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 21
  • BUT003.jpg
    BUT003.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 18
  • BUT004.jpg
    BUT004.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 18
  • BUT005.jpg
    BUT005.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 15
Some suggestions for two of the remaining ones:

3: Papilio michowi

5: Papilio mackinnoni

1 looks so distinctive, but unless somebody can guess the family based on shape I'm not sure what else to try to find it.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back