• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Care of old Eyes. (1 Viewer)

black crow

I was born blessed with very good vision. I think back in the day it was 20/17 if I remember. However with age things have begun to deteriorate and especially for me in the last two or three years. I have to use reading glasses to see my hands now (slight exaggeration) and even though my distance vision is still quite shape in some ways I have a lot of floaters in one eye that obstruct my vision noticeably. I worry about my eyesight now for the first time in my life.

My question for you all is outside of the medical profession how do you all care for your eyesight? Has anyone here ever come across some supplement or herb or a technique that you can say with absolute certainty has improved your eyesight or that you are really sure has helped maintain what you already have? I'm all ears (and eyes)

A great binocular isn't worth much without great vision to go with it.

i have astigmatism when tired and at 67 sometimes closeup focus fails and i have to retry. as an archer until recently, when i noticed sight weakness i realised i had for many years exercised my eyes naturally in a way a friend who is an optosomething or other told me 50 yrs ago. she told me the best exercise was to be sure to focus at different ranges. archers do this and since regular participation in that art stopped for me, my eyes did weaken. i started regular exercise focusing (gently, not forced) at bushes across a field at different distance. this has certainly improved my visual response times and acuity or sharpness without peering or frowning or other natural methods we use to distort our eye shape. do it with deliberate relaxation of the face. as a bonus, i can now wiggle my ears but i do not know if that is related.

As I have said before, you need to develop cataracts and get them removed and replaced with implants.

If your retinas haven't deteriorated you will be able to see like a teenager again.

Sorry for not being outside of the profession, but I thought you might have use of my advise.
Part of it may sound a bit coarse, but everything is told with your well-being as the #1 priority.

1. Go see an optometrist. Glasses will help you squeeze out the best your eyes can deliver.
2. If you don't have any ametropia that needs to be corrected, be sure to use sunglasses outside. Even in overcast weather.
3. Quit smoking,
4. Eat healthy, nutritious, balanced food.
5. Stay sound. High blood pressure, diabetes and cardiovascular disease all have the potential to affect the eye's performance.
6. Have luck.
7. Fix your time-machine, go back 50 years and start to follow rules 2, 3, 4 and 5.
8. While you're at it, choose the best parents you could find.

Supplements can do very little to change the past. They're only needed if you don't abide with rule #4.
Eyes are part of the body and its ageing. Some people's eyes are worse affected than other's. Surprisingly often, they hold out well. Spectacles help, and when the time has come, cataract surgery will also help.
I often tell my patients that cataract surgery is like having money in the bank. You will be happy when you take it out.

//L

Last edited:
Well I already do most of the recommendations and I'm trying like anything to get my cataracts happening so I can have them removed. I used to do eye exercises but now I'm way too lazy to do much besides eating ice cream. Rocky Road in particular. I do eat very well other than that although I eat too much maybe but I can't gain any weight no matter how much I eat. My doctor thinks it's because I hike so much. I'll bet I eat 5 to 10 thousand calories most days. I guess the deal is that they (the eyes) will go and so I better use my binos every day until then. My old man went blind finally at about 97 years old or so I was told by one of my sisters. I had no contact with him but I think he was never really sick until he finally died. My mother was the same which I was told by my sister also. I never remember them being sick when I was a kid. It was uncanny.

Last edited:
I am now in my 70s. I had personal experience with eye floaters over 10 years ago, off and on, and they were very annoying. I began taking Bausch & Lomb's PreserVision AREDS formula eye vitamins (with Lutein in its formula) every day and the floaters never came back. I only take one a day although the bottle recommends taking 2 a day. I have my eyes examined every year by an Optometrist and he told me to keep on taking them.

Bob

Well I recently started taking a high potency eye formula with Lutein but I'll see how it compares to what you're taking. Whenever I hear of someone getting startling results from a supplement I can pretty much know I won't but I keep trying. I have some money to burn and we have to keep the economy going by buying and trying. Man if I could lose these floaters I'd be good to go actually.

EDIT: just sprang for a bottle, so now I can be cured. Yipee! I'll celebrate with a new pair of binoculars. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I hike too long and far, up and down steep mountain trails to enjoy a bin that large. 36mm is my max and I prefer a small 32mm. with a harness. I have 8x50 Swarovski's and oberwerk 11x56s but they've never once left my upper home deck and the Swarovski's sit on a huge oberwerk monopod. Monopods are cool when appropriate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back