• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

petar1

Hi,

What could be the bird of prey based on the silhouette?

Location -> Bulgaria, 14 May 2018

Thank you,
Petar

Attachments

• raptor1.JPG
    raptor1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 122
  • raptor2.JPG
    raptor2.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 256
  • raptor3.JPG
    raptor3.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 135
tail is a bit short for a harrier, isn't it? maybe honey buzzard.

I find it remarkable that people comment on such shots, especially with such detailed analysis.

We've had specific ageing and species ID by a couple of people and now even the genus is in question, kind of proves my point?

A

To be fair Andy, folk were simply saying what their impression was, their first guess, nobody's saying its something for sure.

Your comment would be fair enough if folk had said "its a whatever" for sure :t:

Anyway FWIW, thanks to more power of suggestion from Lou, I can see this being a HB now :-O

Looking that way......:eek!:

Well, all is different in shape, look.

Rounded wing tips vs pointed wing
Straight trailing edge vs bulging secondaries
Shortish tail with proportioned width vs long and narrow tail
Carpal joint gently curved vs sharp

Well, all is different in shape, look.

Rounded wing tips vs pointed wing
Straight trailing edge vs bulging secondaries
Shortish tail with proportioned width vs long and narrow tail
Carpal joint gently curved vs sharp

These are rarely afforded such'' pointy'' wings either for the 1st image.

With such a ''short tail'' on the 2nd image...not to mention the less than pointy wings. :eek!:

''Variable'' wing geometry is the name of the game with BOP's, as you must well know Valery. :t:

Attachments

• Under attack, Connaught Waters, June '12.jpg
    Under attack, Connaught Waters, June '12.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 65
  • A Pallid Harrier, no.7..jpg
    A Pallid Harrier, no.7..jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 69
I think it's an Osprey. They frequently look long- and thin-tailed in regular flight. The length of the wings is quite normal too (with the characteristic 'kink' halfway).

Last edited:
These are rarely afforded such'' pointy'' wings either for the 1st image.

With such a ''short tail'' on the 2nd image...not to mention the less than pointy wings. :eek!:

''Variable'' wing geometry is the name of the game with BOP's, as you must well know Valery. :t:

Your bird is soaring, op bird is gliding...

Tail is as long as wing width at base, which is perfect for a juvenile harrier (that has typical bulging secondaries).

We are not talking about simple "impression" of feeling, but measurable characteristics.

Just proves my point, shots of such poor quality are a waste of time

A

It proves that, while many Birdforum members are excellent to analyse the plumage, there is a weakness in bird silhouette identification in the forum. In the field, experienced birders would agree on at least harrier sp.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back