• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are you Concorde spotters ? (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Was out birding in East lothian,Scotland today with my mate when a member of the public seeing our scopes and bins asked us if we were Concorde spotters!!
I quickly replied although it has wings its not quite what we were after.
For anyone wondering about this strange question, we'll Concorde mania has been sweeping this part of the world as one is currently on a barge off our coastline en-route for the mueseum of flight in East lothian.
Birding wise it was relativly quiet with the highlight being the wintering Shorelark at Tyninghame, Twite numbers have plummeted to 1,previously up to 130.
Migrants on the move today were several Wheatears, 2 White wagtails(Alba), 6 Sandwich Terns and several Hirundines on the move, mainly Sand Martins and Swallows with a few House martins thrown in.

I seawatch from Blackpool Prom, and get quite a lot of people asking what I am looking at. Guesses have included planes, boats, gas / oil rigs and the Isle of Man.

When I tell people I am looking at seabirds they switch off generally. When I tell them there are seals and porpoises (both seen today, for instance) they are generally fascinated!

Stephen.

Get several planes going over & out to sea on the east coast of Norfolk, sunday morning seems to be a busy time for them.

Just before & during the gulf war we also had a lot of big american military cargo planes over, i read somewhere the east anglian coast was part of the flightpath from N. America to Germany and beyond

Stephen Dunstan said:
I seawatch from Blackpool Prom, and get quite a lot of people asking what I am looking at. Guesses have included planes, boats, gas / oil rigs and the Isle of Man.
Stephen.

I generally tell them submarines, that throws them a bit.

My best 'transport' sighting on the Forth was the St Sunniva, the old P&O Shetland ferry, which I saw sailing up to its final resting place last year. I think it got taken to Leith, or thereabouts. I used to see a few big submarines going surfacing in the North Channel when I lived in Islay - I guess going to Faslane. Couldn't believe how big they are.

Some good numbers of summer migrants you had today Birdspotter - not seen any hirundines up here yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back