• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sunny day in Hokkaido (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
As it was sunny (and above 0 degrees C) today I went for a bit of a walk. In the tiny park near my house there were about 10 Brambling, 1 male Crossbill ,1 Great Spotted Woodpecker and 1 Hawfinch. Lots of the usual noisy Brown eared Bulbul and Dusky Thrush too.
I then got the tram to the cape (Tachi-Machi Misaki) where the wind froze my face and hands-there were 4 Harlequin Duck, 1 Red Throated Diver, 3 Red Breasted Merganser and a raft of about 30 Common Scoter. Best of all were the 2 (maybe 3) Peregrines that were being mobbed by crows. Here were a few Japanese and Pelagic Cormorants too.
I walked back down the coast into town. There is a small fishing harbour that occasionally has some good birds-today there were 12 Brent Goose, 2 Eurasian Wigeon, 1 lonely-looking female Goldeneye and a variety of Gulls including 1 third winter Glacous-Winged-grey wingtips and black eye confirmed the ID. There were also lots of immature Gulls that defied my attempts to identify them-ditto the Black Necked/Slavonian Grebes always just too far out at sea. A solitary Water Pipit and Blue Rock Thrush and a few White Wagtails were on the beach but no interesting gulls.....lots of Black Kites in the air though.
Got back in time for a bath and Star Trek the new generation on Sky (sad but true) and work tommorrow.......

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back